Shoe advice… again…
Posted: 31 March 2010 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-03-20

Don’t beat me with a stick just yet, I did the searching before writing, found the wonderfull 5 page thread on shoes and read it all… was convinced Samba’s would be the go for me but after searching local shops no where has any or is even likely to get them one guy said they are in the catelogue and he can order them but I’m not really wanting to pay for shoes I have never put on my feet!

So if I can’t find samba’s (or if I find some and I dont like them…) what are the most important characteristics for a general WOD shoe?

Do I just look for something comfortable, stable, and not too cushy?  I like the idea of something with a bit of heal lift, 2 years ago I had some issue’s with achiles/calfs that had to be seen to by a physio he said heal lift is always a good thing for me because of this problem.

What about something like this? this they seem to have a slight heal lift, but is it bad that they are quite arched up toward the toe? 

My main reason for looking at shoes is the lift, I’m in very clumsy runner/x trainers at the moment…

Cheers smile

Signature 

M/30/6’3”/198lb

Fitter, Faster, Stronger

Crossfit birth 21-March-2010

Posted: 31 March 2010 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2009-11-21
Callum - 31 March 2010 01:56 AM

Don’t beat me with a stick just yet, I did the searching before writing, found the wonderfull 5 page thread on shoes and read it all… was convinced Samba’s would be the go for me but after searching local shops no where has any or is even likely to get them one guy said they are in the catelogue and he can order them but I’m not really wanting to pay for shoes I have never put on my feet!

So if I can’t find samba’s (or if I find some and I dont like them…) what are the most important characteristics for a general WOD shoe?

Do I just look for something comfortable, stable, and not too cushy?  I like the idea of something with a bit of heal lift, 2 years ago I had some issue’s with achiles/calfs that had to be seen to by a physio he said heal lift is always a good thing for me because of this problem.

What about something like this? this they seem to have a slight heal lift, but is it bad that they are quite arched up toward the toe? 

My main reason for looking at shoes is the lift, I’m in very clumsy runner/x trainers at the moment…

Cheers smile

Do you have a sears anywhere near you I found them in the store to try them on and get my size right and then ordered them off of the sears website to get them about 20$ cheaper…  Sambas that is .

Posted: 31 March 2010 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13327
Joined  2007-01-30

Awesome self help!! wink

Now, if you’re looking for something:

Small heel is okay. 

General wods, a shoe with low cushioning is fine, you’re not going running 5 hours. 

I think Lincoln B suggested racing (i.e., CAR racing) shoes.  Neat stuff those. 

And some folks swear by Chuck Taylors. 

Just avoid typical running/exercise shoe.  the cushioning is not your friend.

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 31 March 2010 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2009-11-21
TexasPatrick - 31 March 2010 06:18 AM

Awesome self help!! wink

Now, if you’re looking for something:

Small heel is okay. 

General wods, a shoe with low cushioning is fine, you’re not going running 5 hours. 

I think Lincoln B suggested racing (i.e., CAR racing) shoes.  Neat stuff those. 

And some folks swear by Chuck Taylors. 

Just avoid typical running/exercise shoe.  the cushioning is not your friend.

TP

My first time seeing those ( auto racing ) shoes, you would think being smack dab in the middle of the country like I am where the only things more popular than Nascar are trailer parks and the STL Cardinals.  I would have grown up with a pair of these.  who knew….

Posted: 31 March 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2009-10-12

A lot of people really like the vibrams, i would have them, but i wanted to make a gradual switch to a less cushioned shoe, so i went with the Nike Free 5.0.  I really like them, they are basically a slipper that ties, not a lot of sole.  They are like walking barefoot, but with a thin piece of rubber protection.

Signature 

M/~240+/6’/34   flag

Posted: 31 March 2010 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1344
Joined  2009-12-21

Planning on picking up some Vibrams myself (when the re-stock with my size).
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_KSO_m.cfm

Signature 

35 / M / 5’10” / 195#
PRs:  http://forum.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/3000/P60/#175416

Posted: 31 March 2010 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-03-20

Thanks for the replies guys,

I’m in australia so there are no Sears shops at all unfortunately…
I read that the chuck tailors are flat with no arch support, these are out for me as I have quite high arches.

Really like the concept of the Virbrams, doesn’t look like there are any retailers to try them on at though, can buy them online but they are nearly $200 aussie dollars a pair so not really wanting to take that sort of leap of faith…

I’ll have to go check out a few shops and see what I can find, gotta get my head out of looking at typical running/x training shoes!

Thanks again.

Signature 

M/30/6’3”/198lb

Fitter, Faster, Stronger

Crossfit birth 21-March-2010

Posted: 31 March 2010 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2010-03-29

i worked in shoes for about 2 years. and honestly nikes are the best way to go (as much as it pains me to say it) im a big fan of underarmours but those are geared twards runners. go to your shoe store and start trying them on, you will eventually find a pair that you like.. the best pair of shoes i own (out of my 58 pairs of sneakers) are the air max 2009’s. they are light, have flywire for stability, and 360 degree air max unit.  if your a runner, try the nike free 5.0’s. they are light, dont offer much support, but good for long distances. if you like a lot of PU and bulkiness to the shoe, try the air max rev or the air max tailwind. both are comfortable with air max units in the heel and sole. i use 2 pair of shoes to work out, on my cardio days i use underarmours, and i usually am happy with that, and on my lifting days i use my 2009’s. the air is great for when your doing squats, deadlifts, jerks, anything of the sort. good luck.

Signature 

See, ya are what ya are in this world. That’s either one of two things: Either you’re somebody, or you ain’t nobody.

“what’s your routine?”
“well monday wednesday friday i do….. and tuesday thursday i do… what’s yours?”
“I do all that in 20 minutes”

Posted: 31 March 2010 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9982
Joined  2007-01-08
Callum - 31 March 2010 01:46 PM

Thanks for the replies guys,

I’m in australia so there are no Sears shops at all unfortunately…
I read that the chuck tailors are flat with no arch support, these are out for me as I have quite high arches.

Really like the concept of the Virbrams, doesn’t look like there are any retailers to try them on at though, can buy them online but they are nearly $200 aussie dollars a pair so not really wanting to take that sort of leap of faith…

I’ll have to go check out a few shops and see what I can find, gotta get my head out of looking at typical running/x training shoes!

Thanks again.

If lack of arch support is a problem, don’t waste your money on Vibrams.
Their basic premise is no support, only protection from abrasion and sharp objects.

The whole barefoot/vibram/chucks/samba thing is about not having support because your foot is better off without it.
Sambas and chucks both have a flat insole, don’t know about car racing shoes.
I believe Nike frees do too and vibrams are basically a really tough pair of low cut socks with toes in them.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 01 April 2010 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2009-12-04
BigChip - 31 March 2010 05:38 AM

Cheers smile

Do you have a sears anywhere near you I found them in the store to try them on and get my size right and then ordered them off of the sears website to get them about 20$ cheaper…  Sambas that is .

I got a pair of sambas recently and really like them. i bought them online from zappos.com I am not sure what the availability is in OZ but worth checking out!

Signature 

M-37/6/208

“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.”
-Charles Darwin