1 of 3
Hi! New to Crossfit. Interested but skeptical…
Posted: 06 April 2010 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2010-04-06

Hello all! My name is Tony and I’m interested in starting crossfit.
Before I get into the specifics, allow me to elaborate more on myself.
I am 24 and weigh about 205lbs with visible abs. I’m pretty strong and pretty fit.
I used to be more into bodybuilding type lifting but have recently changed to a more fitness oriented style of working out. Here is my main question. Are the WODs enough? They seem like very little work. I mean they seem tough to do. I’m sure it’s hard as hell to do the whole thing. But in the context of an entire day. Is it enough?
A normal workout for me would be something like:

Donning a 40 lb weighted vest.

Pull-ups 10x (start at 10 then do as many as I can)
Pushups 40x (start at 40 then do as many as I can)
225lb Squats 20x (I can always do 20x of 225 squats)
Repeat 3-5 times (depending on how I feel that day)
There is no rest between the rounds

Then I remove the vest and hit:
Dips 20x
Chest Machine 20x
Leg press 30x
For 3 rounds

Now I see a workout like “Barbara” and it seems like although it would be hard to do. It wouldn’t be enough for the day.

Anyone that could help me out would have my gratitude.
I also have questions on rest days. How often and how frequently do you guys rest? And when you rest. Is it a pure lazy day?

Signature 

24/ M/ 205 lbs Goal 190 BF% 6-8%

Started Crossfit 4/6/2010

Posted: 06 April 2010 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13253
Joined  2007-01-30

Check this out:

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/4744/

Additionally, and this is from personal experience and from being a member of these boards, finds that at first, it doesn’t look like a lot of work.  However, what they fail to take into account is the intensity, which is crucial.  And, at first, while we get a lot of folks who are in shape here, they’re not in crossfit shape.  It’s a whole different beast.  That intensity is devastating if done right every time.  And in fact we have some folks come in and are so deconditioned that just DOING the exercises is a workout and enough, forget about intensity.  And it’s funny that you mention “Barbara”.  Most folks who can do “Barbara” at a decent clip find this a hateful hateful workout . . . those rest periods are not your friend.

And as an observation: yes, you’re quite strong.  What you’ll get out of this is strength at speed.  We’ll also get you off the leg press machines, onto ring dips and having you cranking out 50 pullups at a time.  But what we don’t want is you overtraining before your body has the capacity to take the work. 

And there’s nothing to say you can’t do more.  But I dare say that most folks who say that are not hitting a 2:30 Fran.  Or they haven’t put in the time to build up to that plus some heavy work. 

Ultimately though, the only thing I can say is to try it.  I can’t “reason” you into it.  It may take a couple tries or weeks before you “get” it. But then you’ll hit that one WOD where you are laying on the floor curled up, aka the come to jesus WOD and then you’ll know if it’s for you or not.  Some folks ultimately don’t like it, and I think a lot of it is the intensity.  It’s hard to throw yourself in front of a train on a daily basis . . . it’s like Groundhog day with pain . . .

And rest: To me it’s a non-wod day.  That’s all.  Anything and everything but a hyper intense wod or lifting session.  Again, if you’re not looking forward to them, you’re not training and hitting the WODs hard enough.  Some folks have worked up to enough capacity such that their rest day wods are hard as any but their WORK day wods/schedule are brutal.

The traditional approach is 3 on 1 off, but that varies so much by person, training level, other commitments that there’s no one right way to do it.  It’s all about recovery.

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 06 April 2010 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2010-04-06

Thanks!

I think I’ll try and hit a Barbara today.
What are the rest periods in between the rounds?

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2961
Joined  2008-04-08

“Barbara”:
5 Rounds For Time:
20 x Pull-Ups
30 x Push-Ups
40 x Sit-Ups
50 x Squats
Rest 3 Minutes exactly between rounds

Barbara is meant to be 5 sprints with roughly a 1:1 Work-to-Rest ratio.  If the rounds start taking you more than 5 minutes to complete, you should likely scale down.  In fact, I’d advise you to scale down to at least 10-20-40-40 for your first time through (since you’re already pretty conditioned, that might be enough).

If you crush it, all the better, you can try it as prescribed next time.  But by scaling, you’ll at least ensure you stay closer to the intended time domain and relative intensity level.

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%
CrossFit Birth: April 8, 2008 (BW 245)

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman
“Get Comfortable with Uncomfortable.” -Coach OPT

-||||———||||-
“Machines were invented to keep wankers off the barbells.” -Greg Everett

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-01-30

Keep time for the whole thing too.  Squats are unweighted (air squats).  Ideally you’d have a total time, and a time for each round.  But you have 3 minutes to write your time down, so either way you can figure it out. 

But also, we frown on cherry picking (i.e., picking and choosing the wod based on personal preference).  Today’s wod is overhead squats. 

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2010-04-06
BathMatt - 06 April 2010 07:13 AM

“Barbara”:
5 Rounds For Time:
20 x Pull-Ups
30 x Push-Ups
40 x Sit-Ups
50 x Squats

Cool.
3 minutes? That seems like a lot of rest time. If I feel like I can pump it out with less rest should I?

hmm.. 5 round with 3 minutes rest. So it’s at least 15 minutes just in rest alone. So the entire workout should take somewhere in the ballpark of 30 to 40 minutes…

Hmmm… The picture is getting clearer.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  4630
Joined  2007-11-13

Movement standards, as a new CF participant… TP, is there a FAQ thread with these?

Pull-ups - full extension of elbows at the bottom, chin over bar at top
Push-ups - chest and thighs to the deck, full elbow extension at top (what, no “easy button”!?)
Sit-ups - no crunches
Squats - hip crease below parallel at bottom, stand up tall (open hip) at top

Signature 

44yo male, 6’0” 181-85# Began WODs Nov. 2003 (first CF post Feb. 2004)

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
BgTony - 06 April 2010 07:19 AM
BathMatt - 06 April 2010 07:13 AM

“Barbara”:
5 Rounds For Time:
20 x Pull-Ups
30 x Push-Ups
40 x Sit-Ups
50 x Squats

Cool.
3 minutes? That seems like a lot of rest time. If I feel like I can pump it out with less rest should I?

hmm.. 5 round with 3 minutes rest. So it’s at least 15 minutes just in rest alone. So the entire workout should take somewhere in the ballpark of 30 to 40 minutes…

Hmmm… The picture is getting clearer.

Nope.  Rest as stated.  Otherwise you’ll be making an apples to oranges comparison.  And it’s only a lot of rest the first round . . . and it’s only 12 minutes of rest because we don’t count anything when you finish the 5th round. 

Hmm. I don’t think there’s a movement standard FAQ.  Good idea.

Signature 

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2010-04-06
TexasPatrick - 06 April 2010 07:18 AM

Keep time for the whole thing too.  Squats are unweighted (air squats).  Ideally you’d have a total time, and a time for each round.  But you have 3 minutes to write your time down, so either way you can figure it out. 

But also, we frown on cherry picking (i.e., picking and choosing the wod based on personal preference).  Today’s wod is overhead squats. 

TP

Well I figured for my first WOD I’d choose a whole body one that seemed challenging enough to give me a taste of the Crossfit experience.

I have to pick and choose a little bit because of the other sorts of training I do. I’m also a big MMA practitioner. Today is boxing day and if I blow out my shoulders with overhead squats there is no way I’m holding my hands up with gloves on.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
BgTony - 06 April 2010 07:25 AM

Well I figured for my first WOD I’d choose a whole body one that seemed challenging enough to give me a taste of the Crossfit experience.

Understand completely.  Just making sure you don’t put holes in your fitness by accident or design. 

I have to pick and choose a little bit because of the other sorts of training I do. I’m also a big MMA practitioner. Today is boxing day and if I blow out my shoulders with overhead squats there is no way I’m holding my hands up with gloves on.

Again, understand completely:  Brand X Martial Arts including Kenpo, Krav Maga, and crossfit has had some experience with that.  We can help get you sorted once you get settled in around here.

TP

Signature 

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2010-04-06

Thanks guy you are being very helpful.

I’ll try a barbara for time today and see how I feel. Hopefully I won’t let my obsessive nature keep me in the gym passed that.

I was already thinking of trying the workout with my weighted vest on. But I think it would be a bit too much. I have a bit of an issue with overtraining myself.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
BgTony - 06 April 2010 07:42 AM

Thanks guy you are being very helpful.

I’ll try a barbara for time today and see how I feel. Hopefully I won’t let my obsessive nature keep me in the gym passed that.

I was already thinking of trying the workout with my weighted vest on. But I think it would be a bit too much. I have a bit of an issue with overtraining myself.

Yeah, hit an apples to apples comparison, i.e., no vest this time.  Otherwise we have a hard time giving you decent feedback.  Come back and post your times and we’ll go from there.

Signature 

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 06 April 2010 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  387
Joined  2009-06-25

if you’re interested, check out one of the CF firebreathers having a go at Barbara to give you a idea of what it should be like:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_BarberBarbara.wmv (this was linked from the CrossFit.com Exercises page)

Posted: 06 April 2010 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  8550
Joined  2004-07-08
TexasPatrick - 06 April 2010 07:18 AM

TP

Big T, this is exactly what you need to keep your hands up. You may only get hit in the face once. Have fun!

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 06 April 2010 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2010-04-06
no3putts - 06 April 2010 08:38 AM

if you’re interested, check out one of the CF firebreathers having a go at Barbara to give you a idea of what it should be like:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_BarberBarbara.wmv (this was linked from the CrossFit.com Exercises page)

Wow it seems that there a bit of what conventional people would call “cheating” going on. Like kipping the pullups and swinging the arms for the situps.

I suppose it allows you to go faster. I read on the site about doing that sort of things. I’ll probably have a hard time kipping since I’m so used to doing them conventionally.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2010 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2961
Joined  2008-04-08

Yup.
In CrossFit we aren’t so concerned with keeping our pull-ups or sit-ups strict, as we are with completing the full range of motion (ROM) in a faster time.

Order of importance with respect to movement is:
1. Mechanics (including safety and full ROM)
2. Consistency
3. Intensity

As long as you don’t break 1 or 2 to get 3, it’s fair game.

In the case of a pull-up, kipping doesn’t sacrifice ROM or make the movement dangerous, so it’s a green light to up the intensity by kipping to make the reps go faster.  Similar idea with the arms in a sit-up.

Signature 

28/m/6’2”/215/BF8.9%
CrossFit Birth: April 8, 2008 (BW 245)

“Performance is directly correlated with intensity. Intensity is directly correlated with discomfort.” -Coach Glassman
“Get Comfortable with Uncomfortable.” -Coach OPT

-||||———||||-
“Machines were invented to keep wankers off the barbells.” -Greg Everett

1 of 3