40 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
8 Muscle-ups
30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
6 Muscle-ups
20 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
4 Muscle-ups
10 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
2 Muscle-ups

Graham Holmberg 10:27. Post time to comments.

Please hold questions and comments until Garddawg or BlueBugofJustice post the scaling, which usually includes links to exercise videos, common substitutions and other helpful information. 

The mainpage of CrossFit directs new people here for help getting started CF can be confusing enough for a newbie, we want to make it as easy as possible for them.  We ask you to be courteous and thoughtful of the newbies. If they show up here for the first time and have to wade through 5-10 posts before we have a chance to scale for them, it can make it more difficult.

Answers to frequently asked questions can be found in the beginners topic.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 25 April 2010 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13883
Joined  2004-06-18

Big Dawgs:
as Rx’d

women - 14#

Pack:
For time:
50 Wall ball shots, 14 pound ball
10 Seated muscle ups
40 Wall ball shots, 14 pound ball
8 Seated muscle-ups
30 Wall ball shots, 14 pound ball
6 Seated muscle-ups
20 Wall ball shots, 14 pound ball
4 Seated muscle-ups
10 Wall ball shots, 14 pound ball
2 Seated muscle-ups

women - 10#

Puppies:
25 Wall ball shots, 6-8 pound ball
5 Muscle-ups
20 Wall ball shots, 6-8 pound ball
4 Muscle-ups
15 Wall ball shots, 6-8 pound ball
3 Muscle-ups
10 Wall ball shots, 6-8 pound ball
2 Muscle-ups
5 Wall ball shots, 6-8 pound ball
1 Muscle-ups

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 25 April 2010 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-04-15

Normal x3 pullups/dips if you can’t do muscle ups yet?

Couple of issues:
-If I do normal or jumping pullups, they will most likely be broken sets.  (So, I’m assuming do progressions or weigh assisted pullups?)
-Dips I definitely can’t do normally (yet) so weight assisted or bench dips?  I definitely want something where I get the core stabilization as I think I’ve been neglecting that in a lot of my previous WODs.  (It feels good when everything starts to click).

I keep getting yelled at, at my gym when I do wall ball shots.  So I either am going to suck it up and just say “hey I’m doing crossfit, leave me alone” or sub thrusters in for this.  Just hate that I’m not getting the release/throw and catch of the wall ball shots if I do thrusters.  Does anyone just chuck the med ball in the air and catch it?  I just feel like that might be inefficient as well.  (especially if, as I get more and more exhausted, I start chucking the thing in a very inaccurate manner).

————————-
Regardless, I’ve added the mainsite warmup to my WOD and am keeping track of that.  I’m ramping it up fairly regularly, so between the WODs and that…I hopefully will be able to do Muscle Ups soon and not have to do the stinkin’ scaling.  smile

Signature 

This is no democracy. It is a dictatorship. I am the law.

Posted: 25 April 2010 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9616
Joined  2007-01-08
mjm2005 - 25 April 2010 07:18 PM

Couple of issues:
-If I do normal or jumping pullups, they will most likely be broken sets.  (So, I’m assuming do progressions or weigh assisted pullups?)
-Dips I definitely can’t do normally (yet) so weight assisted or bench dips?  I definitely want something where I get the core stabilization as I think I’ve been neglecting that in a lot of my previous WODs.  (It feels good when everything starts to click).

I keep getting yelled at, at my gym when I do wall ball shots.  So I either am going to suck it up and just say “hey I’m doing crossfit, leave me alone” or sub thrusters in for this.  Just hate that I’m not getting the release/throw and catch of the wall ball shots if I do thrusters.  Does anyone just chuck the med ball in the air and catch it?  I just feel like that might be inefficient as well.  (especially if, as I get more and more exhausted, I start chucking the thing in a very inaccurate manner).

————————-
Regardless, I’ve added the mainsite warmup to my WOD and am keeping track of that.  I’m ramping it up fairly regularly, so between the WODs and that…I hopefully will be able to do Muscle Ups soon and not have to do the stinkin’ scaling.  smile

Ideally the pull-up/dip sub for MUs should be done:
3 pull-ups
3 dips
3 pull-ups
3 dips etc

So broken isn’t a problem.
You can also see Tucker’s scaled muscle-ups (http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/11/training-the-muscle-up.tpl#featureArticleTitle) for another approach and we have some notes on this in the Beginner’s Forum

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 25 April 2010 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  762
Joined  2010-01-03

Couple of issues:

————————-

Who’s yelling at you in there, other patrons or the manager of the place?  I find that thrusters just aren’t the same thing (like you said, release and catch is key).  That being said, if you could just chuck it to yourself and make sure it goes to a certain height, then you’re in business, but ideally, you want to have a wall so you’re not throwing it totally vertically.  The next best thing without a wall would be to have a wallball partner to play catch with. 

As for the scaling, do the 3/1 sub with progressions (assisted with bands or a gravitron would be best for PUs, chair or bench dips for regular dips).  Just keep up the intensity in your WOD.  You’ll see that if you are doing the CFWU, you’ll be doing PUs and dips without any assistance in no time (I went from 4 PUs in a row max to 3x10 in a month, then another 2 weeks to do 3x15, so keep it part of your daily warm-up routine).

Good luck destroying your globogym with the medball!  tongue rolleye  

Sebbie

Signature 

M40/6’2”/157lbs
My WOD blog:  StatCrossFit
Crossfit Birthday:  January 4 2010!
What is INITECH?

Posted: 25 April 2010 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2010-04-15
Sebbie314 - 25 April 2010 08:08 PM

Couple of issues:

————————-

Who’s yelling at you in there, other patrons or the manager of the place?  I find that thrusters just aren’t the same thing (like you said, release and catch is key).  That being said, if you could just chuck it to yourself and make sure it goes to a certain height, then you’re in business, but ideally, you want to have a wall so you’re not throwing it totally vertically.  The next best thing without a wall would be to have a wallball partner to play catch with. 

As for the scaling, do the 3/1 sub with progressions (assisted with bands or a gravitron would be best for PUs, chair or bench dips for regular dips).  Just keep up the intensity in your WOD.  You’ll see that if you are doing the CFWU, you’ll be doing PUs and dips without any assistance in no time (I went from 4 PUs in a row max to 3x10 in a month, then another 2 weeks to do 3x15, so keep it part of your daily warm-up routine).

Good luck destroying your globogym with the medball!  tongue rolleye  

Sebbie

Hahaha Not patrons…although I do subconsciously try to do the WOD as obnoxiously as possible for the countless “what the heck is he doing” stares.  It usually helps when I’m rocking the Vibram five fingers…and all the upper body lifters look at me like I’m crazy (well I guess I am.)

I’ve had a few workers and managers say “Hey you can’t throw the ball against the wall.”  So I usually hit them back with:
-Can you release me of my contract?
-What are you going to do?  Kick me out?
-What should I do instead?

The last WOD I got yelled at for dropping the weight on the grassy area after the overhead walks.  So I took the guy aside after I recovered and explained that I don’t have time to gingerly place the bar down as it adds to the transition time and reduces my power.  I explained I understand the rules but Crossfit is the only thing that works for me.  We seemed to end up with a “I gotta yell at you to keep my job but just dont mess up anything and you’ll be all right” understanding.

Yeah, the other thing I was considering was running outside and across the street (its downtown so short sprint), and just grab a med ball to do it there.  But I gotta be crafty cause the manager said he couldn’t “approve” of that and their insurance doesn’t cover it…so I basically gotta be a crossfit desperado when I do the WODs.  The only issue there is…I either have to figure out some way to do pullups/dips outside or be sprinting back and forth (2 floor gym) to the pullup/dip machine.

I would just join an affiliate but $150/month is a stretch for a college student…yah know?  I’ve been emailing them to see if I could just use the box and maybe get lessons when I want help with the Oly lifts and the like.  And then asking a rando gym guy to catch a med ball for 15 minutes probably won’t work, and if I’m going to get a trainer to do it…I might as well just join the affiliate then.

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2010 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2010-04-15
Metric - 25 April 2010 08:01 PM

Couple of issues:

————————-

Ideally the pull-up/dip sub for MUs should be done:
3 pull-ups
3 dips
3 pull-ups
3 dips etc

So broken isn’t a problem.
You can also see Tucker’s scaled muscle-ups (http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/11/training-the-muscle-up.tpl#featureArticleTitle) for another approach and we have some notes on this in the Beginner’s Forum

Ahhhh…. I see I see. Ok, so I think for this one I’ll just bring a bar near the assisted pullup/dip machine and just hop off and do thrusters.  And then do the 3/3 on the machine.

This is gonna be fun.

I feel like the progression work would be more appropriate as a skill training instead of during the WOD.

(PS…thanks for clarifying.  I was so used to do ALL of the pullups first and then ALL of the dips.  Muscle exhaustion and breaks DEF set in or I found I would just really scale up on the amount of assistance.  This new way I can really cut down on the wussy stuff. Awesome)

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2010 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi I just started crossfit a couple days ago with HPCs + burpees (didn’t know how to do HPC and Lipton’s video on the main site led me to believe that it was performed like a reverse curl so that’s what I did.. except I subbed 65 pounds, did the burpees as prescribed), the next day I did some footbag (which is actually pretty decent exercise for me) and the next day - which is today - I rested. I haven’t worked out in a long time so I’m still pretty sore from the reverse curls and burpees, should I take tomorrow off or scale it down a ton or what?

Posted: 25 April 2010 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9616
Joined  2007-01-08
mjm2005 - 25 April 2010 08:48 PM

I feel like the progression work would be more appropriate as a skill training instead of during the WOD.

I’m in two minds.
Tucker teaches them as a scalable progression. By raising the height of the rings incrementally as your ability increases you crank it up to the point where it’s a full muscle-up. That’s a valid approach.
I personally find it hard to keep honest to the technique when I’m in mid-wod using a ring height that makes the movement doable. That’s a character flaw on my part.

I think if you down near fully de-conditiioned then dips and pull-ups are probably better because odds are you’re probably scaling them still. If you’re cranking out full on dips and pull-ups I think you’d have to look seriously at a minimally scaled versions of Tucker’s progression.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 25 April 2010 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-03-29

Went away for the weekend, so on 24 April I did:

“Barbara”
Five rounds, each for time of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Sit-ups
20 Squats
Rest 3 minutes between each round

Times: 1:39.0, 1:29.6, 1:25.4, 1:23.3, 1:48.3

I probably should have done the pack level “Barbara Lite” but the only place to do pullups was on an overhang above the stairs and I didn’t want to kill myself. The last round was a bit slower as the overhang was getting slippery and I was losing my grip, so I just did five single pullups.

25 April I took a rest day, and then today:

Puppies:
25 Wall ball shots, 5kg ball
5 Muscle-ups
20 Wall ball shots, 5kg ball
4 Muscle-ups
15 Wall ball shots, 5kg pound ball
3 Muscle-ups
10 Wall ball shots, 5kg pound ball
2 Muscle-ups
5 Wall ball shots, 5kg pound ball
1 Muscle-ups

Time: 11:28

Subbed 3 pullups and 3 dips for muscle-ups. The first set of 5x3 pullups were unassisted, and after that they were assisted at level 6 on the gravitron (don’t know what weight that is). All dips were unassisted.

I used to use holidays as an excuse to skip going to the gym - this time I did research to make sure I would have a workout to do while I was away. The first thing I did when I got to the beach house was look for a place to do pullups. I’ve never looked forward to workouts so much. I’m totally addicted, and it’s fantastic.

Signature 

M/26/5’11”/172
Started CrossFit on 6 April 2010 @165

Posted: 26 April 2010 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2010-03-15

Warm-up:
5 min eliptical
CF warm-up
135 lb back squat x 10

Pack:
Five rounds for load and time of
Back Squat, 3 reps
15 Dips (4th rd 10 dips & 5 bench dips)
        (5th rd 7 dips & 8 bench dips)
complete @ 9:04

$ out:
2 mile=15:16

Signature 

From the saintly and single-minded idealist to the fanatic is often but a step.
Fredrich von Hayek

M/34/5’11”/235

Posted: 26 April 2010 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  823
Joined  2010-04-25

What weight should I use for db’s if I sub the 20lb wall ball for db thrusters?

Signature 

Crossfit Birthday: April 25th 2010
M/20/5’10/168

Stats:
385lb Deadlift             Fran = Rx’d 5:00 mins        
275lb Back Squat         Helen = Rx’d 8:21 mins
200lb Clean               Run 5K = 20:02 mins
170lb Snatch             Jackie = Rx’d 6:54 mins
Pullups - 31               HSPUs - 21

Posted: 26 April 2010 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  752
Joined  2008-10-03

Wod as rx’d with 45lb thrusters instead of wall balls
Time=13.09

Great wod! Getting mentally tougher at the high rep thrusters but still broke em more than I should of.

Signature 

Male,31yr old,5ft10ins,78kg

Xfit started 02-08-08 smile Uk Xfitter

Posted: 26 April 2010 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Boxer
Joined  2008-10-03
Byron - 26 April 2010 12:46 AM

Double the weight so 2 x 20lb dumbbells or some people, myself included sometimes use the 45lb barbell.

Signature 

Posted: 26 April 2010 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Boxer
Joined  2008-10-03
fhomp - 25 April 2010 11:54 PM

Went away for the weekend, so on 24 April I did:

“Barbara”
Five rounds, each for time of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Sit-ups
20 Squats
Rest 3 minutes between each round

Times: 1:39.0, 1:29.6, 1:25.4, 1:23.3, 1:48.3

I probably should have done the pack level “Barbara Lite” but the only place to do pullups was on an overhang above the stairs and I didn’t want to kill myself. The last round was a bit slower as the overhang was getting slippery and I was losing my grip, so I just did five single pullups.

25 April I took a rest day, and then today:

Puppies:
25 Wall ball shots, 5kg ball
5 Muscle-ups
20 Wall ball shots, 5kg ball
4 Muscle-ups
15 Wall ball shots, 5kg pound ball
3 Muscle-ups
10 Wall ball shots, 5kg pound ball
2 Muscle-ups
5 Wall ball shots, 5kg pound ball
1 Muscle-ups

Time: 11:28

Subbed 3 pullups and 3 dips for muscle-ups. The first set of 5x3 pullups were unassisted, and after that they were assisted at level 6 on the gravitron (don’t know what weight that is). All dips were unassisted.

I used to use holidays as an excuse to skip going to the gym - this time I did research to make sure I would have a workout to do while I was away. The first thing I did when I got to the beach house was look for a place to do pullups. I’ve never looked forward to workouts so much. I’m totally addicted, and it’s fantastic.

That’s the spirit!

Signature 

Posted: 26 April 2010 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  823
Joined  2010-04-25
prinze79 - 26 April 2010 12:55 AM
Byron - 26 April 2010 12:46 AM

Double the weight so 2 x 20lb dumbbells or some people, myself included sometimes use the 45lb barbell.

ah wicked cheers mate! 2nd day of crossfit smile

Signature 

Crossfit Birthday: April 25th 2010
M/20/5’10/168

Stats:
385lb Deadlift             Fran = Rx’d 5:00 mins        
275lb Back Squat         Helen = Rx’d 8:21 mins
200lb Clean               Run 5K = 20:02 mins
170lb Snatch             Jackie = Rx’d 6:54 mins
Pullups - 31               HSPUs - 21

1 of 13