2 of 4
Strength Bias
Posted: 14 June 2010 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13217
Joined  2007-01-30
enginecap - 14 June 2010 05:06 AM

i am just starting my 6th week of SB in the first cycle.  so far so good.  Been hitting PR’s pretty regularly in everything (not so much with the presses).  I am not sure of a couple things now:
this week the protocol looks mostly like 5-5-3-3-1-1-1 (example)....am i to start with my five rep max and then move to 3 rep max and then hope to achieve my 1 rep max?  Or am i supposed to ease into the 1 rep max?  What is the purpose of this type structure…to find my 1 rep max?

Also, next week i may either take rest week or go with light weight only.  When i start week One again for 2nd cycle, do i start exactly with the weight that i left off with at end of week 6 or do i start lighter?  I am not sure what the “linear” progression is.

Thanks a lot…..trying to head to gym in a little while

the 5-5-3-3-1-1-1 is working to a one rep max.  The earlier sets are work/warm up

I always started a new week right where I left off.  Or tried to . . .

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 14 June 2010 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2217
Joined  2007-05-06

work up to a only a 1RM, not a separate 5RM, 3RM and 1RM…

when you start cycle two, plan to with your loads from week 4 with a set left to either match what you lifted in week 5 or possibly go for a small PR if you feel good.

Posted: 14 June 2010 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2009-09-29

thanks guys for the quick response…off to the gym to see what my “new” 1 RM is.  This is where i need to be really careful about an injury at my tender age..lol.  May also scale todays WOD down for my metcon.

Signature 

M/49/6’/175   “Most days i am afraid to find out what the WOD is”
http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?new=1#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1009778212

Posted: 14 June 2010 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2007-05-06

it’s good to go after a 1RM once in a while, but I think alot of us skip it and treat week 6 as normal since you’ll have a pretty good idea of what your 1RM is.

hell, I’ve been CrossFitting (seriously/religiously) since Fall of 2007 and have been CFSB since ~April of 09 and I still haven’t done a CFT.

Posted: 14 June 2010 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2009-03-24

I would second JTM on the 1RM thing.

Yes it’s good to do them occasional, but it shouldn’t be a normal thing. I’m pretty happy going for a legit one-rep max maybe three or four times per year.

Signature 

“Do you have a purpose?”

Posted: 14 June 2010 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29

new question:
today was week six…so going for 1 rep max.  I did not know how hard to go at first with the 5 rep and 3 rep sets.  Dunno if i hurt myself with the 1RM.  Also was not sure how fast to jump weight. My 5 RM is 250#.  These were my sets:
warm up 45# x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 5
work:  185 x 5, 205 x 3, 225 x 3, 245 x 1, 265 x 1, 275 x 1 (previous PR), 285 x 1 (with a spotter) PR

wondering if i should have kept the first few sets a little lighter and then jumped right up to 245 or 265 1RM?

tomorrow is deadlifts for 1RM…same protocol…want to get it right for a solid PR!

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?new=1#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1009778212

Posted: 14 June 2010 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
JTM - 14 June 2010 06:45 AM

it’s good to go after a 1RM once in a while, but I think alot of us skip it and treat week 6 as normal since you’ll have a pretty good idea of what your 1RM is.

hell, I’ve been CrossFitting (seriously/religiously) since Fall of 2007 and have been CFSB since ~April of 09 and I still haven’t done a CFT.

OK…thanks for that info.  I thought the 1RM was sort of necessary to know for a variety of reasons…..certain WOD’s for example.  Speaking of WOD’s, i am getting so into the heavy lifting that i find myself doing less metcon work.  I usually do something but today for example i did nothing other than Hspu’s, Du’s, and hyper extensions and did not feel guilty at all.

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2010 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9759
Joined  2007-01-08
enginecap - 14 June 2010 04:08 PM

OK…thanks for that info.  I thought the 1RM was sort of necessary to know for a variety of reasons…..certain WOD’s for example.  Speaking of WOD’s, i am getting so into the heavy lifting that i find myself doing less metcon work.  I usually do something but today for example i did nothing other than Hspu’s, Du’s, and hyper extensions and did not feel guilty at all.

Watch that, it’s easy to let it fall off completely.

GD has said that it’s the GPP base from metcons that makes it possible to do CFSB.
If you leave that out it’s just a powerlifting cycle. Which is fine if that’s what you want, but it’s not CFSB anymore and it’s certainly not CF.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 14 June 2010 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2007-05-06
enginecap - 14 June 2010 09:30 AM

new question:
today was week six…so going for 1 rep max.  I did not know how hard to go at first with the 5 rep and 3 rep sets.  Dunno if i hurt myself with the 1RM.  Also was not sure how fast to jump weight. My 5 RM is 250#.  These were my sets:
work:  185 x 5, 205 x 3, 225 x 3, 245 x 1, 265 x 1, 275 x 1 (previous PR), 285 x 1 (with a spotter) PR

wondering if i should have kept the first few sets a little lighter and then jumped right up to 245 or 265 1RM?

tomorrow is deadlifts for 1RM…same protocol…want to get it right for a solid PR!

First, I don’t think “with a spotter” counts (ever), but that’s up to you.

It’s hard to say whether or not your buildup affected you.  That looks ok to me.  How did 265 and 275 feel?  Could you have gotten 285 without a spot or was it time to bail when the spotter helped?  What kind of time spacing did you do between sets today and how does that spacing compare to what you normally do?... Rest, Diet and recovery (from sometimes overly grueling metcons) can also be a factor.  How was your weekend?  Did you drink or eat poorly?  indulgent weekends always affects my mondays.  (For both ME loadouts and MetCon performance)

As long as you are moving in the right direction, don’t worry about “what’s my number” ... 1 rep more or 1 pound more is progress.  Also, CFSB isn’t just a 6 week program, it’s a CrossFit implementation that many of us have embraced and continue to progress.  Matter of fact,  a good friend of mine actually got strong enough and maintained enough metcon capacity to qualify for regionals using CFSB as her training program.

ok, so one phenomenon that we’ve all observed is “top end compression” -  meaning that your 3RM, 5RM and 1RM all seem to start to converge and, your squat 20RM is going to get closer to your 5RM than you’d expect (at least it has for me.) 

I think it becomes more observable as you get through more and more cycles so I don’t think that it what’s affecting you this week, but it’s something to be aware of.

I don’t think we see CF mainpage wods that say x% of your 1RM very often (if at all.)  If you do see one of those at an affiliate or something and you don’t know your 1RM, take a look at the wod, try and figure out where to set the load based on #‘s you do know (3RM/5RM)

Try not to skip your metcon work, it’s just as important as the ME work.  Also, I would recommend never skipping the HR work.  If time constraints force you to sacrifice ME or HR, do the high rep work.  I’ve find that the more effort I put into HR work, the easier the ME stuff is the next week.

One of things that I learned was that I was taking way too much time between ME sets.  2-3 mins is enough.  If you are used to going longer, you will probably see a drop in capacity initially, but it will return.

Posted: 15 June 2010 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1540
Joined  2008-01-23

Get after it bub!

Signature 

I do today what others won’t, so I can do tomorrow what others can’t.

Legs feed the wolf!

M/32/6’1”/185lbs

Posted: 15 June 2010 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
Metric - 14 June 2010 04:17 PM

Watch that, it’s easy to let it fall off completely.

GD has said that it’s the GPP base from metcons that makes it possible to do CFSB.
If you leave that out it’s just a powerlifting cycle. Which is fine if that’s what you want, but it’s not CFSB anymore and it’s certainly not CF.

thanks…i will get back on the metcon train…it was just a day or two.  looking forward to a week rest though.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2010 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
JTM - 14 June 2010 04:44 PM
enginecap - 14 June 2010 09:30 AM

new question:

First, I don’t think “with a spotter” counts (ever), but that’s up to you.

It’s hard to say whether or not your buildup affected you.  That looks ok to me.  How did 265 and 275 feel?  Could you have gotten 285 without a spot or was it time to bail when the spotter helped?  What kind of time spacing did you do between sets today and how does that spacing compare to what you normally do?... Rest, Diet and recovery (from sometimes overly grueling metcons) can also be a factor.  How was your weekend?  Did you drink or eat poorly?  indulgent weekends always affects my mondays.  (For both ME loadouts and MetCon performance)

As long as you are moving in the right direction, don’t worry about “what’s my number” ... 1 rep more or 1 pound more is progress.  Also, CFSB isn’t just a 6 week program, it’s a CrossFit implementation that many of us have embraced and continue to progress.  Matter of fact,  a good friend of mine actually got strong enough and maintained enough metcon capacity to qualify for regionals using CFSB as her training program.

ok, so one phenomenon that we’ve all observed is “top end compression” -  meaning that your 3RM, 5RM and 1RM all seem to start to converge and, your squat 20RM is going to get closer to your 5RM than you’d expect (at least it has for me.) 

I think it becomes more observable as you get through more and more cycles so I don’t think that it what’s affecting you this week, but it’s something to be aware of.

I don’t think we see CF mainpage wods that say x% of your 1RM very often (if at all.)  If you do see one of those at an affiliate or something and you don’t know your 1RM, take a look at the wod, try and figure out where to set the load based on #‘s you do know (3RM/5RM)

Try not to skip your metcon work, it’s just as important as the ME work.  Also, I would recommend never skipping the HR work.  If time constraints force you to sacrifice ME or HR, do the high rep work.  I’ve find that the more effort I put into HR work, the easier the ME stuff is the next week.

One of things that I learned was that I was taking way too much time between ME sets.  2-3 mins is enough.  If you are used to going longer, you will probably see a drop in capacity initially, but it will return.

265 felt heavy…my initial warm up felt heavy..lol.  I knew it would be a tough day.  The spotter barely touched my sides but it was psychological too. My rests were getting to long..i started trimming them down today.  I think i noticed the convergence today..my 5 RM BS is 315 and my 1 RM BS today was 325…HR DL was 235 for 20

Signature 

Posted: 20 June 2010 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29

just finished sixth week of Strength Bias which completes my first cycle.  Made significant gains with pretty regular PR’s.  Even surprised myself yesterday with a 15 pound press PR!  This week coming is my rest/ mild week.  need a little rest definitely.  My plan (i think) is to restart week one (cycle two) with the weight loads that i was using around week four.  Anyone have a better idea where i should start week one?  I gained a couple pounds but weight has stayed right around 180/182 for weeks now.  when i was strict paleo and just doing the WODs my weight slipped down to 170…way too light for me at 6 foot.  I learned the value of the hook grip.  I have not used a belt yet but wondering if there comes a time when i should?

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2010 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29

when i do my presses i try to keep hands at shoulder width with elbows held in tight.  What’s everyone’s pleasure on that grip?  My presses are soooo weak so i am always trying to maximize my efforts by at least having grip in the best spot.

Today i could not come even close to reaching my latest PR.  Using the basement gym in firehouse which is just horrible…dungeon like.  def did not have my head in it.  lack of sleep from working two nights in a row etc.  in my first cycle of Strength Bias i was always making PR’s and now i am just struggling to hang on it seems.  I did Pr with DL on tuesday (335 x 2) but hurt my back a bit…ugh

OK, last concern:  what is the feeling on belts for the DL and squat?  like i said, i tweaked back at 335 weight….would it have happened with the belt?  probably would have.  wish there was some evidence that they actually help keep lumbar healthy

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2010 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2009-03-24

Rip talks about that in his book - you really need to eBay a copy or amazon used or something.

You basically want a spacing that has your forearms vertical as much of the motion as possible.

But seriously, that is the most technical of the so-called simple lifts. More technical than the push press even. There is just no room for error. There is a whole chapter on that lift.

Rest that back, and don’t lift if you’re fatigued or otherwise not fully recovered. You get better by fully recovering after working out, not just from working out.

Unrelated comment:
From what I’ve read of your postings. I think your ego is going to break you. Don’t worry about the immediate gains.

I’ve heard it recommended that you pretend you have a meet scheduled for your 50th birthday, and you are preparing for it now. Don’t blow yourself up, or break yourself before the meet.

Signature 

“Do you have a purpose?”

2 of 4

‹‹ Weighted vest?      Protein Powder ››