help with double unders and muscle ups
Posted: 29 May 2010 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2009-09-29

i am looking for a gold standard remedy for fixing my doubles…i practice daily but maybe practicing wrong.  once in while i can string 10 to 20 but usually only 2 or 3.  they just never seem to get better.  i am using Buddy Lee 13 dollar rope.
The Muscle ups i can do but just cannot string more than 2 or 3 together and when the shoulders get pumped i am lucky if i can get one.  Maybe improvement will come with increased strength.  I don’t think it’s prudent to practice them too much though since the shoulders take such a pounding.  Does anyone agree or disagree with that?  Is there a program to follow to improve them or just practice practice practice?

Signature 

M/49/6’/175   “Most days i am afraid to find out what the WOD is”
http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?new=1#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1009778212

Posted: 30 May 2010 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2008-03-24

You might want to check out the “Ultra Speed Cable Jump Rope” at Rouge Fitness. $15.00. This rope is SUPER fast. It’s not even a rope, it’s a wire. Takes a little getting use to because you can’t see it when you jump and the wire whips the $h!t out of you when you miss but I can string together more DU’s with this than with my $35 Buddy Lee. I have been doing 50 DU’s everyday for about a week and a half. I am seeing improvement. I could only string 2-3 together, then started hitting a constant 5-6 and hit 11 yesterday. As far as MU’s go, be careful. I tweaked my shoulder about 3 weeks ago after attempting a MU with tired shoulders. Now I can’t do any sort of shoulder presses or overhead lifts. Not worth it.

Cheers

Signature 

43/m/6’4”/225#

You decide your own level of involvement. Tyler Durden

It’s a good thing misery loves company or I would be here all by myself.  Brooks Buford

Posted: 30 May 2010 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
Nappy5727 - 30 May 2010 01:26 AM

You might want to check out the “Ultra Speed Cable Jump Rope” at Rouge Fitness. $15.00. This rope is SUPER fast. It’s not even a rope, it’s a wire. Takes a little getting use to because you can’t see it when you jump and the wire whips the $h!t out of you when you miss but I can string together more DU’s with this than with my $35 Buddy Lee. I have been doing 50 DU’s everyday for about a week and a half. I am seeing improvement. I could only string 2-3 together, then started hitting a constant 5-6 and hit 11 yesterday. As far as MU’s go, be careful. I tweaked my shoulder about 3 weeks ago after attempting a MU with tired shoulders. Now I can’t do any sort of shoulder presses or overhead lifts. Not worth it.

Cheers

i strung together 14 yesterday…the speed of rope is ok for the most part i think.  My timing must just suck and prob don’t elevate enough either.  If i hit the timing perfectly i can get some.  After a workout though, with tired shoulders and legs the doubles obviously get worse.
we are in the same boat on the muscle ups.  i had rotator cuff repair in right shoulder last year and left has a couple small tears.  there is a fine line between getting better at mu’s and having them incapacitate me for a week or so.  shoulder stuff just sucks for me.

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?new=1#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1009778212

Posted: 30 May 2010 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2009-12-25

I don’t think you need a new rope at all. I used to use one of those beaded school ropes and was able to learn DU with it. Some things that can make a difference is how far apart your legs are. I find the closer your legs and ankles to eachother the easier the DU is. Your body should also be like a straight line.

I remember I was only able to do somewhere around the 40’s on my DU until I started to put my feet together, then it increased in big strides. Other then that, keep up the practice and always research and study.

Signature 

No one was ever born “the best”. -The Best Dude That Ever Lived

Posted: 31 May 2010 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
ponyridestherainbow - 30 May 2010 06:58 PM

I don’t think you need a new rope at all. I used to use one of those beaded school ropes and was able to learn DU with it. Some things that can make a difference is how far apart your legs are. I find the closer your legs and ankles to eachother the easier the DU is. Your body should also be like a straight line.

I remember I was only able to do somewhere around the 40’s on my DU until I started to put my feet together, then it increased in big strides. Other then that, keep up the practice and always research and study.

thanks for advice…i think my feet are pretty close but i will try mashing them together.

Signature 

Posted: 31 May 2010 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  8463
Joined  2004-07-08

Do both everyday! That’s the best advice I can give you. Work your goats!

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 01 June 2010 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
BIG D - 31 May 2010 08:14 PM

Do both everyday! That’s the best advice I can give you. Work your goats!

yeah?  didn’t think it would be wise to work the muscle ups too much…so tough on the shoulders.  But you are the trainer….thanks

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2010 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  8463
Joined  2004-07-08

If you can do Muscle ups, then do a couple everyday.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 02 June 2010 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
BIG D - 01 June 2010 07:36 PM

If you can do Muscle ups, then do a couple everyday.

i will try….have my own rings so should be easy enough…sometimes the shoulders are just worn out…lol

Signature 

Posted: 03 June 2010 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
ponyridestherainbow - 30 May 2010 06:58 PM

i don’t know if pressing my feet together was the “answer” but today i tried it and i finally strung a bunch together: 24, 10, 17, 14, 18, 28,10, and then 50!!
thanks for helping

Signature 

Posted: 08 June 2010 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29

yeah…well….as soon as they come they sometimes go..lol
tried today wearing my Chuck Taylors and the shoes are slightly longer…def affected my DU’s
Still have a tough time doing them during an intense leg or shoulder WOD though.  Doing them as warm up is nice, but obviously the goal is to be able to whip them out during the WOD

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2010 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29

CFSB

today was 20 min or less metcon only day.  Decided to do 30 muscleups for time.  Last time i did these was the end of March and time was 17:45.  Today i was over a minute faster on the first 15 (4:20) but i was only able to complete 26!!  I just cannot believe it…rested up to two minutes at the end and still could not do another muscle up.  Was so angry.  Really thought i was going to PR today.  Today was the first time i was able to string together 5 in a row…i wonder if i gave toooo much to the first 15.  Would i be better off just doing 1 every 30 seconds??

Signature