Proper form for burpees/squat thrusts?
Posted: 02 June 2010 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2010-05-11

Hi Folks,

I’m wondering what the proper form for burpees and squat thrusts is.  I’ve always done squat thrusts and similar exercises with a fairly rigid core, yet all the videos I’ve seen seem to show the people performing said exercises with a very flexible/soft core.

Is that the correct form?  Are they exercising some back muscle or stretching by letting the pelvis drop to the floor like that?  Or is the rigid form the more “correct” form?

I’m sure that it doesn’t matter either way in the grand scheme of things.  However, if I’m missing out on something by keeping rigid, I’ll work on my bendiness smile

Thanks!
Paul - who expects his form to deteriorate as he gets deeper into the 100 Day Burpee Challenge (Family Plan)...

Signature 

40M/ 5’8”/ 168 as of Crossfit DOB: 13 May 2010
If you’re not having fun, you’re not doing it right!
Become a paranoid optimist: The world is out to help you!

Posted: 02 June 2010 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14103
Joined  2004-06-18

Paul the current Burpee seen on the vids should probably be considered a different exercise and called a different name.  Something like “Anyway From Standing to Flat on the Ground and Back to Standing”.  A proper Burpee involves
1. Standing
2. Hands on the ground
3. Kick feet back to plank
4. Push up
5. Bring feet in
6. Jump

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 02 June 2010 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2010-05-11
Garddawg - 02 June 2010 10:17 AM

Paul the current Burpee seen on the vids should probably be considered a different exercise and called a different name.  Something like “Anyway From Standing to Flat on the Ground and Back to Standing”.

LOL!  Okay then. smile

A proper Burpee involves
1. Standing
2. Hands on the ground
4. Push up
5. Bring feet in
6. Jump

That’s what I thought, but figured I’d ask, being a newbie around here, just in case there was something I was missing.

Also, when you get to the jump part, should the feet be flat, as in a squat, or is it acceptable to be on your toes ?

Thanks again,
Paul

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2010 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  13289
Joined  2007-01-30
MyShapeIsNoLongerPear - 02 June 2010 10:31 AM

Also, when you get to the jump part, should the feet be flat, as in a squat, or is it acceptable to be on your toes ?

Thanks again,
Paul

I find that if i don’t set my feet, i.e., put my weight back on my heels like a squat, that jumping from my toes causes my back to get sore in a hurry.

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 02 June 2010 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9839
Joined  2007-01-08

See also http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewreply/189016/, which I’ll be expanding to include GD’s latest take on this.

CFNZ taught “strict” burpees the way GD says and when the owners travelled to the states they were told “no-one does burpees like that”. Which is a shame.
I got a little huffy when I heard that and launched into another speech that started with, “At Brand X ...” which they were probably a little tired of hearing by then.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 02 June 2010 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2010-05-11
Metric - 02 June 2010 12:09 PM

CFNZ taught “strict” burpees the way GD says and when the owners travelled to the states they were told “no-one does burpees like that”.

Well, based on the videos I’ve seen, it seems they’re right.  No one here does burbees that way.  However, that doesn’t make CFNZ wrong for teaching it that way!

I got a little huffy when I heard that and launched into another speech that started with, “At Brand X ...” which they were probably a little tired of hearing by then.

Sigh.  Yes, I have lots of discussions that start in similar fashions.  I tend to be a rather pedantic perfectionist, and apparently, most the rest of the world doesn’t see fit to live by my standards, as lax as they are…

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2010 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14103
Joined  2004-06-18
MyShapeIsNoLongerPear - 02 June 2010 10:31 AM

Paul the current Burpee seen on the vids should probably be considered a different exercise and called a different name.  Something like “Anyway From Standing to Flat on the Ground and Back to Standing”.

LOL!  Okay then. smile

A proper Burpee involves
1. Standing
2. Hands on the ground
4. Push up
5. Bring feet in
6. Jump

That’s what I thought, but figured I’d ask, being a newbie around here, just in case there was something I was missing.

Thanks again,
Paul

There is nothing wrong with the flop on the ground and back to feet anyway.  It facilitates metcon destruction like nothing else.  It just needs a different name.  AWOH came about because people were calling all sorts of stuff a push jerk.  New name.

In a proper burpee you should jump your feet up so that they are wider than your hands, rock back on your heels and set your back.  you will be approximating the bottom of a squat at this point.  Jumping off your toes usually involves a flexed back and a poor knee position in relation to the foot.  A prime way to injury yourself.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 02 June 2010 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Big Dawg
Total Posts:  493
Joined  2009-03-13
Garddawg - 02 June 2010 01:25 PM

There is nothing wrong with the flop on the ground and back to feet anyway.  It facilitates metcon destruction like nothing else.  It just needs a different name.

Amen brother!!!  Is there a better butt-kicker than burpees?  I don’t think so.

Maybe we call them Pukies?

Signature 

What if the hokey-pokey IS what it’s all about?

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.“
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 02 June 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2010-05-11
Garddawg - 02 June 2010 01:25 PM

There is nothing wrong with the flop on the ground and back to feet anyway.  It facilitates metcon destruction like nothing else.  It just needs a different name.  AWOH came about because people were calling all sorts of stuff a push jerk.  New name.

Oh, okay.  But what’s an AWOH ?  I couldn’t find it in the mainsite FAQ, and a google search yields only the abbreviation itself, but no expansion.

In a proper burpee you should jump your feet up so that they are wider than your hands, rock back on your heels and set your back.  you will be approximating the bottom of a squat at this point.  Jumping off your toes usually involves a flexed back and a poor knee position in relation to the foot.  A prime way to injury yourself.

So noted.  I’ll try to fix that then.

Thanks!

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2010 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9839
Joined  2007-01-08

Any Way OverHead

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 08 June 2010 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2009-03-24

I resemble that remark.

Bouncing off the ground isn’t considered cheating, is it?

Signature 

“Do you have a purpose?”

Posted: 09 June 2010 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

IF you get bloody in the process its ok in my book!

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj

Posted: 10 June 2010 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Big Dawg
Total Posts:  493
Joined  2009-03-13

I’ve hit my nose pretty good a few time doing Burpees/Floppies/Pukies.

I’ve also hit my forehead pretty good a few time doing HSPU progressions.

No blood with either altercations….though I might have done some minor floor damage.

Signature 

What if the hokey-pokey IS what it’s all about?

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.“
Garddawg - 22 March 2009