reverse hook grip??
Posted: 08 June 2010 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2009-09-29

i have been using the hook grip lately and i love it especially for deadlifts.  Question is does it improve the grip if i use the hook grip but also reverse hand positions (i.e. one hand facing forward and one facing backward) ??
It may very well be counter productive..dunno.  Just something i was thinking about today

Signature 

M/49/6’/175   “Most days i am afraid to find out what the WOD is”
http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?new=1#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1009778212

Posted: 08 June 2010 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1391
Joined  2006-01-31

It improves your grip but does not improve your grip strength as much as using a non-hook grip.  That being said, I use the hook grip out of habit for all oly and deadlifting.  Some people say it really hurts as the weights get heavier.  I would be inclined to agree.

Posted: 08 June 2010 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
gimpy - 08 June 2010 01:42 PM

It improves your grip but does not improve your grip strength as much as using a non-hook grip.  That being said, I use the hook grip out of habit for all oly and deadlifting.  Some people say it really hurts as the weights get heavier.  I would be inclined to agree.

it def hurts the thumb a bit at my current 315.  I use it because it helps and because Burgener says to..  What i really want to know is : is the positive effect of the hook grip enhanced by reversing hands also (one hand forward, one hand backward)?
thanks

Signature 

http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?new=1#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1009778212

Posted: 08 June 2010 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  8559
Joined  2004-07-08

I use the hook grip on everything. All o- lifts, deadlifts over #300. I also do not have a problem with the thumb hurting. So the more you use it the better.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 08 June 2010 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9812
Joined  2007-01-08
enginecap - 08 June 2010 01:18 PM

i have been using the hook grip lately and i love it especially for deadlifts.  Question is does it improve the grip if i use the hook grip but also reverse hand positions (i.e. one hand facing forward and one facing backward) ??
It may very well be counter productive..dunno.  Just something i was thinking about today

I’ve seen people at powerlifting contests use both together, hooked alternating. It’s doable and doesn’t seem to hurt the lift for the people using it.

Others may have tried it and rejected it.

Try it and report back.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 08 June 2010 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-05-16

I’ve seen the “alternating grip with hook” most commonly used by Crossfit women. Guy crossfitters and olympic weightlifters not so much, for whatever reason. Personally I don’t use it because a regular hook grip for me can hold more than I can ever deadlift. I don’t use the alternating grip for the same reason and also because it has a slightly higher risk of bicep injury.

Signature 

Lincoln Brigham
USAW, CSCS, Crossfit

http://www.gryphon-sc.com
51M/6’1”/170-ish

Posted: 08 June 2010 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
Metric - 08 June 2010 03:26 PM
enginecap - 08 June 2010 01:18 PM

I’ve seen people at powerlifting contests use both together, hooked alternating. It’s doable and doesn’t seem to hurt the lift for the people using it.

Others may have tried it and rejected it.

Try it and report back.

thanks…i used it once today and got a few giggles.  Did not seem to hurt me but i think Lincoln is correct…

Signature 

Posted: 08 June 2010 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
LincolnB - 08 June 2010 04:10 PM

I’ve seen the “alternating grip with hook” most commonly used by Crossfit women. Guy crossfitters and olympic weightlifters not so much, for whatever reason. Personally I don’t use it because a regular hook grip for me can hold more than I can ever deadlift. I don’t use the alternating grip for the same reason and also because it has a slightly higher risk of bicep injury.

i used the conventional style hook grip today for 315 PR and i had no problem holding onto the bar for 3 reps.  Like you said:  i can prob hook a lot more than i could even lift at this time.  thanks

Signature 

Posted: 08 June 2010 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2009-03-24

I can mixed grip 20-30 lb. more than I can hook grip.

A mixed grip with hooks holds no advantage that I can see. The mixed grip counters the rolling issue.

I know there are alot of purists in here tht will chide me for this, but I’d rather see a guy use straps before using a mixed grip (just on that last set). The risk of tearing a bicep with a mixed grip is very real. I’ve had several strains with my light little lifts.

Signature 

“Do you have a purpose?”

Posted: 10 June 2010 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
dnittler - 08 June 2010 08:47 PM

I can mixed grip 20-30 lb. more than I can hook grip.

A mixed grip with hooks holds no advantage that I can see. The mixed grip counters the rolling issue.

I know there are alot of purists in here tht will chide me for this, but I’d rather see a guy use straps before using a mixed grip (just on that last set). The risk of tearing a bicep with a mixed grip is very real. I’ve had several strains with my light little lifts.

Yes…i’ve heard that about the mixed grip.  Two big lifters at the gym have both torn their biceps

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2010 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  493
Joined  2009-03-13

i use a mixed regular grip for deadlifts…which arm is at most risk for the bicep tear?  the arm with the palm facing away or towards the body?

i already have an elbow tendon issue (the one on the inside that feels like it’s connected to the funny bone).  if I do dealifts, or pullups it gets really sore.

Signature 

What if the hokey-pokey IS what it’s all about?

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.“
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 10 June 2010 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9812
Joined  2007-01-08
WalterMitty - 10 June 2010 10:32 AM

i use a mixed regular grip for deadlifts…which arm is at most risk for the bicep tear?  the arm with the palm facing away or towards the body?

i already have an elbow tendon issue (the one on the inside that feels like it’s connected to the funny bone).  if I do dealifts, or pullups it gets really sore.

The one with your arm in a curl position, so facing away from your body.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 28 June 2010 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2008-10-25

I only use a supine grip when I deadlift heavy and I have never felt the slightest bit of irritation in my bicep after pulling a max.

Posted: 02 July 2010 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-09-29
Butch Meathook - 28 June 2010 09:48 AM

I only use a supine grip when I deadlift heavy and I have never felt the slightest bit of irritation in my bicep after pulling a max.

i am the farthest thing from an authority on the issue…all i know is I use the hook grip and i love it (although it flattens the thumb a little)

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2010 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2010-07-01

when you say ‘mixed grip’ do you mean one palm facing forward and one palm facing backward?

Signature 

32yom/6’3” /228lbs 216lbs

Posted: 16 July 2010 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2009-03-24

yes

Signature 

“Do you have a purpose?”

‹‹ Firefighter add ons?      CF + CFE ››