CF + CFE
Posted: 16 June 2010 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2010-02-23

Starting to double up with CF WOD’s and CFE.  I however don’t have 3 hours to rest and come back so I do it all at once with my WOD first then CFE.  I learned the hard way by doing the CFE first…What are other’s thoughts and opinions on this?  I do like “crushing guts” at the gym.  I noticed that there will be days when the WOD wipes me out completely and I will bypass the CFE workout.

Signature 

Crossfit DOB - 2.25.2010 @ 290lbs

31/6’9”/275

“It’s called CF bitches…Crushing guts since 2010!!!”

Posted: 16 June 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2009-03-24

I need more information about your specific goals and reasons for adding CFE to your routine in the first place.

You aren’t doing yourself any favors by gutting out an endurance WOD right after a CF WOD, I can tell you that much.

Signature 

“Do you have a purpose?”

Posted: 16 June 2010 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-23

I want to drop 30 more pounds plus get my useful stregnth and cardio up.  I have never had good cardio but would love to have my stregnth and cardio as good as I can get.  I want to do all of this so I can start playing in a men’s hockey league.  Never played hockey before so I have a long road to go but sounds like it is mostly pickup games any way.

Signature 

31/6’9”/275

Posted: 16 June 2010 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2010-03-16

How is your diet?

If your goal is to lose 30lbs you might want to clean up your diet before you try adding extra workouts on top of crossfit.

Signature 

M/24/5’7”/170
Crossfit DOB: 9/11/09

Posted: 16 June 2010 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-23

Diet is getting better but I love food and that will always be my achilles heal.  Do you think I am overtraining thus hampering my gains?

Signature 

31/6’9”/275

Posted: 16 June 2010 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2010-03-16
zwilson50 - 16 June 2010 02:25 PM

Diet is getting better but I love food and that will always be my achilles heal.  Do you think I am overtraining thus hampering my gains?

It is possible you are overtraining.  How many days a week do you add CFE?  Their website mentions that the CFE wod is designed to be done 2-3 times a week in addition to the Crossfit WOD.  This is after you have built up to that level of work.

As for food, their are plenty of paleo/primal or zone recipes and cookbooks out there.  Eating better doesn’t have to be boring.

Signature 

M/24/5’7”/170
Crossfit DOB: 9/11/09

Posted: 16 June 2010 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

I have been battling overtraining for the last few months. I have certain expectations, and I feel that my progress has slowed a bit probably just because I have gotten past the initial gains. I work on my goats but quickly start to develop really bad muscle cramps and other things like that. I have cut back since and think I am better off. If oyu want to loose another 30 pounds adding more and more time to your workouts wont really help. I know it is how we are programmed to think. If I want to get better at running or loose more weight then I just need to spend more time in the gym. But between doing a 3 min fran and doing a 5k I would say no doubt about it you get more out of the fran. Increase your intensity and address your diet. With being a fellow food lover you need to realize that the zone doesnt restrict you from eating what you love, it just proportions it. Yes you can still eat a couple cookies, but if you want to be full then you need to eat 6 cups of brocolli (2 carb blocks) 2 cookies (2 carb blocks) and 4 blocks of protein and 4 blocks of fat. Doing it this way lets you get your fix but keeps you healthy. I lost about 20 pounds with just cf and no diet change, but when I did the zone I lost another 25 pounds pretty quickly.

Mastroj

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj

Posted: 16 June 2010 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-03-24

Drop the CFE like it owes you money - shaving a couple minutes off of your 10k time is not going to make you a better hockey player.

You could do some sport specific drill for your warm up and cool down.

CFE is great for sharpening up an endurance athlete - not so much a hockey bruiser.

Signature 

“Do you have a purpose?”

Posted: 16 June 2010 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9838
Joined  2007-01-08

I’d have thought CF Football was more the sort of programming you’d want if you decided to deviate from mainsite programming at all.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 16 June 2010 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-03-24

Yup.

Signature 

“Do you have a purpose?”

Posted: 16 June 2010 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

IT looks like you have only been doing CF for 4 months (according to your join date), at this point there is no reason to supplement with different programming. Your GPP still needs to build a base before you can pick out what needs to be improved on to fit a specific sport. I would just hit the wods harder and look into your diet, IMO.

Good luck, Mastroj

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj

Posted: 17 June 2010 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-23

Thanks for all of the helpful info so far.  I will drop the coupling CFE with CF WOD.  Diet will need to be my main focus until it becomes second nature.  I am nails when I am at work but when I get home and the temptation is high, I cave.  I will always complete the WOD’s as I am hooked on CF.  Is there a site(s) where I can find sport specific training more in the CF mold?

Signature 

31/6’9”/275

Posted: 17 June 2010 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-03-24

Not really.

Crossfit is your general conditioning work. Sport-specific drill aren’t really a part of conditioning work, so shoe-horning that type of stuff into a 21-15-9 couplet would be counter-productive.

I do think that a lot of the stuff that Big D posts as “buy in” and “cash outs” would be good for your sport as well. He does a lot of lateral hops, lateral shuffles, bear crawls and stuff like that. It’s still quite general, but that’s fine.

Signature 

“Do you have a purpose?”

‹‹ reverse hook grip??      Xfit and ice hockey ››