John Hackleman of the Pit (UFC Champ Chuck Liddell trainer)
Posted: 21 September 2005 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

We were lucky to have a presenattion by John Hackleman at our CrossFit Cert Seminar.  He went over some interesting techniques against someone coming in for a takedown, including a Left Hook and Oblique Kick with Forward leg to take them off the game plan and make them replant.
Any other input -Sifus ?

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 26 September 2005 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  7683
Joined  2004-08-09

I liked the front sweep technique. I hope Doug was not just humoring me by letting me unbalance him with that sweep to the inside. It felt pretty sweet! Unfortunatley my KM instincts (yes I have them!) kicked in and I was following through with some other counters - like pulling him further off balance with his right shoulder.  :oops:

It was a little awkward using the left hook from a different position but it sure did pack a wollop when set up properly. I’ve never had a very good hook, but I think I’m getting better.

I e-mailed John Hackleman after the Cert to thank him.

Signature 

We have too many heroes lost and not enough workout days to commemorate them. I think it’s fitting to always think of the men and women in service, whether military or peace officers and public safety, as we do our workouts. A bit of motivation to throw a little of our sweat and maybe a drop of blood on the floor in their honor.

http://laurarcrossfit.blogspot.com

There is no substitute for good coaching.

Posted: 28 October 2005 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Getting the read on someone coming in for the takedown, faster than they do it, seems to be the thing that would take the most training, even more than the techniques.  I suppose some are obvious and telegraph with a shoulder dip and so forth, but it seems like they come in so fast even if you know the response, half of it may be just knowing what is about to happen and processing the response fast enough.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 24 June 2008 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2007-11-14

Is the hook a left hook while you pivot back with your right foot?  I’m trying to picture how this would work…

Sounds pretty cool, though, to be able to train with someone like Mr. Hackleman - wish I’d been there!

Posted: 24 June 2008 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-14

Wow - I just noticed how old the original posts were on this topic - yikes!

Posted: 24 June 2008 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14067
Joined  2004-06-18

Steve,
We are fairly friendly with John.  Probably can hook you up if you are ever interested in training with him.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 24 June 2008 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-14

That’s wild!  I’d be a pretty big step down from working with the Iceman, however…

(um. think Grand Canyon type step)

Posted: 24 June 2008 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14067
Joined  2004-06-18

Iceman story.

So we were up there working with John.  We were with about 8 guys, and watching the Pit fight team workout at John’s house.  After the workout Chuck is getting in his car and to leave.  He is backing out and John suddenly yells “Chuck I want you to work with the guys on takedown defenses. ”  Chuck pulled back in got out of his car when back down to the cage and spent about working with us.  After about an hour John said “Chuck time to go.  You need to go eat and get ready to train tonight.”  Chuck said “I’m not done yet” and spent another half hour with us.  Then signed autographs and took pictures. 

I’ll never forget how kind he was to Connor nor the interplay between the respect student and the talented student.

BTW ever hear how Chuck became a student of John’s?

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 25 June 2008 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-14

That’s a great story about two classy individuals.  And yes, don’t hold back on that story!

Those strange Tapout guys went to John’s gym once and the scene inside opened with the crew doing Tabatas.  The camera panned and the CrossFit banner came into view.  It all made sense.

‹‹ Kickboxing class      Smacking Mitts ››