sore elbows
Posted: 16 October 2010 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2010-05-11

Hi folks,

Starting last Saturday my elbows have been slightly sore.  Not painful, rather, in the realm of “minor discomfort” as the saying goes.  I can’t correlate this to any particular WOD we did, though the closest WOD I could even begin to suspect would be the one that preceding Thursday which had KB Snatches and pullups.  However, I don’t remember any discomfort on Friday, so I’m attributing this to more likely being the yardwork I did last Saturday which was felling an oak tree and then trimming all the branches on it with manual clippers.

For purely educational purposes, not to be misconstrued as medical advice in any way shape or fashion, could someone tell what muscles or tendons are involved here?  I have no pain during extension, flexion, or rotation of the elbow itself.  The pain only manifests during a tight grip of the fist.  So, if I need to pick up something heavy, do a pullup, etc, I feel it when I grip.  It’s gone as soon as I release.  I’ve had it for about a week now with no change, neither getting any better nor getting any worse.

Is this a muscle I’ve strained or a tendon or ligament that’s rubbing someplace it shouldn’t, or possibly a tight muscle pressing on a tendon or ligament?  Is this type of injury something that could result from bad form ?  Does KStarr have any MobWODs for anything this might be?

Again, I’m asking purely for educational purposes only, and not requesting official medical diagnosis or advice.

Thanks.

Paul - who also waives any right or thought he might have of suing anyone who posts in response to this request.  Unless they are simultaneously with-holding bacon, in which case, all bets are off until share said bacon with the rest of us grin

Signature 

40M/ 5’8”/ 168 as of Crossfit DOB: 13 May 2010
If you’re not having fun, you’re not doing it right!
Become a paranoid optimist: The world is out to help you!

Posted: 16 October 2010 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  159
Joined  2009-08-14

Inner or outer side of the elbow?

Signature 

Candace

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”  Christopher Robin to Pooh Bear

Posted: 16 October 2010 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9768
Joined  2007-01-08
TXMom - 16 October 2010 05:59 PM

Inner or outer side of the elbow?

Yeah, that.

I’m going to guess that if your palm is facing down, the pain is in the upper and outer surface of the elbow, pretty much where the forearm joins into the upper arm?

If so look up posts containing references to a product called “band-it” on the message board. Made by GD, me and super swede primarily.
My posts contain a budget approximation of the product.

If the pain isn’t there, I’ll come up with another story. grin

And dude, see a doctor. wink

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 17 October 2010 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08

http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/2010/10/episode-57-hot-elbow-treatment.html

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”

Posted: 17 October 2010 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2010-05-11

It’s on the outsde.  As Metric mentioned.  If the palm is facing down, it’s right between the two bumpy pats of bone that
hinge the forearm to the upper arm.

What’s interesting is that it’s perfectly symetrical in both arms, so whatever I did, it was with both arms.  That’s why I’m leaning towards the yard work with the clippers.

So, what’s in that joint?  Is this an inflamed tendon, I.e. tendonitis?  Or a cartileidge issue? Both?

Paul - probably calling the doctor Monday…

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2010 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Big Dawg
Joined  2010-05-11
Metric - 17 October 2010 01:33 AM

http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/2010/10/episode-57-hot-elbow-treatment.html

Thanks for all the info Metric, I really appreciate it!  I just watched this, and will be icing tonight when I get home.  I also just stopped by the sporting goods store and bought 3 lacrosse balls and some sports tape!

Thanks again!

Paul

Signature 

Posted: 17 October 2010 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08
MyShapeIsNoLongerPear - 17 October 2010 04:26 AM

It’s on the outsde.  As Metric mentioned.  If the palm is facing down, it’s right between the two bumpy pats of bone that
hinge the forearm to the upper arm.

What’s interesting is that it’s perfectly symetrical in both arms, so whatever I did, it was with both arms.  That’s why I’m leaning towards the yard work with the clippers.

So, what’s in that joint?  Is this an inflamed tendon, I.e. tendonitis?  Or a cartileidge issue? Both?

Paul - probably calling the doctor Monday…

Tendonitis.
Almost certainly.

Signature 

Craig Massey

Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 20 October 2010 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08

See also this
http://vimeo.com/16023341

Signature 

Craig Massey

Garddawg - 22 March 2009