Starting 5/3/1 Bench Press? and Morning food
Posted: 23 October 2010 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  275
Joined  2008-06-04

I know it’s a lot so please hang with me…....I just got done reading 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. I’m now nailing down my one rep max. I know we do not do much with the Bench Press, however in 5/3/1 Jim uses it. He also says to incorporate different things like Power Cleans. Do you feel that the Bench Press is useful? OR Should I sub Power Cleans?

Right now I’m 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off… I’ll do the official CFWU (most of the time), 5/3/1 (Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat), Metcon, cool down w/ skill work & some stretching….. Should I throw Power Cleans on Wed? or you think its too much?

Due to my schedule I have to get up @ 5:30 am to workout and I have to be done by 7 am…... I’m unable to eat a full breakfast and workout within an hour…. I mostly workout on an empty stomach or with just an orange, then I eat my egg whites after the WOD….. I tend to be very sluggish through the WOD (and the day)... Is there a better way to approach my morning breakfast? Both Pre and Post WOD

Thanks for any help you can give!

Signature 

M/36/5’9/158#(Start weight 195)

Posted: 23 October 2010 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13217
Joined  2007-01-30

Bench press is a good exercise.  We don’t do it a lot around here, but that’s probably more of a function of equipment than anything else . . . and sometimes you need the spotter . .

Power cleans are fine to throw in there.  I try and do some every week.  I never found they were causing too much work.  Usually, however,

Food:  Is there anyway you can get maybe a glass of milk or something easy to get and keep down?  Then eat more after? 

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 23 October 2010 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  8528
Joined  2004-07-08

As TP said: Bench is good. We put bench in every week. Power cleans always good to do. Working out in the early mornings are hard in finding the right amount of food to eat. I use coffee and an apple. Then shake after.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 23 October 2010 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04

Thanks guys!.... I was leaning toward doing the bench press anyway, it’s nice because I just picked up a set of self spotter stands….. TP- I guess my biggest concern was going heavy all 5 of my work-out days and doing a Metcon on top of that, I figured that I might just die with that kind work load. I’ll try it for a few cycles of 5/3/1 and see.  As far as the food goes, no dairy for me so I think an apple and coffee sounds great! Thanks again!

Signature 

Posted: 23 October 2010 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14045
Joined  2004-06-18

Can someone explain this 5-3-1 stuff for me?  My guys are not very strong and we probably could use some program to help them acquire more strength.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 23 October 2010 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04
Garddawg - 23 October 2010 05:37 PM

Can someone explain this 5-3-1 stuff for me?  My guys are not very strong and we probably could use some program to help them acquire more strength.

Yea I’m kinda a weenie so I looked around and found 5/3/1 and I’m gonna give it a try. Here is a basic break down from the book:

You will train 3-4 days per week (this will be up to you).
• One day will be devoted to the standing military press, one day to the parallel squat, one day to the deadlift and one day to the bench press.
• Each training cycle lasts 4 weeks.
• The first week you will do 3 sets of 5 reps (3x5).
• The second week you will do 3 sets of 3 reps (3x3).
• The third week you will do 1 set of 5 reps, 1 set of 3 reps and 1 set of 1 rep (5/3/1).
• The fourth week you will do 3 sets of 5 reps (3x5). This is an easy deload week.
• After the fourth week, you begin again with 3 sets of 5 reps.
• Each week and each set has a percentage to follow, so you won’t be guessing what to do anymore.

I’ll try to email you the ebook and a spread sheet for the % of weight to use.

Signature 

Posted: 23 October 2010 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  13217
Joined  2007-01-30

Now, now . . . .

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 23 October 2010 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-04
TexasPatrick - 23 October 2010 06:11 PM

Can someone explain this 5-3-1 stuff for me? My guys are not very strong and we probably could use some program to help them acquire more strength.

Now, now . . . .

Well I guess I’m slow too….. GD- Not a fan of 5/3/1 or just anything not Crossfit? Not trying to be an a$$ just wondering….. I just don’t seem to gaining a lot of strength with doing just the WOD so I thought I’d try something on top of what I am doing. What’s your thoughts? I want to try a few cycles then see where I’m at then try CFSB if this is not workin.

Signature 

Posted: 15 December 2010 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2010-12-12

I did 5-3-1 prior to starting cross fit and I saw a lot of improvement in strength from it.  However, I did start to get a little bored with it and I was doing it with 4 assistance workouts which was keeping me at the gym for a very long time.  Hit me up if you want to see the ebook, I’m pretty sure I have it on my computer at home and can send it later if so.

Signature 

Follow - http://www.lifeandthewilltoliveit.tumblr.com
Add - http://www.athlinks.com/racer.aspx?rid=87332389

‹‹ Prowler/Sled      BrandX WOD’s ››