New to the Zone
Posted: 09 November 2009 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-11-07

I’m really trying to understand this Block eating, but I’m having trouble locating where exactly to begin on getting some insight on this.  Any help?

Signature 

Slow is smooth.  Smooth is fast.

How would I describe myself?  Three words.  Hardworking.  Alpha male.  Jackhammer.  Merciless.  Insatiable.

Posted: 09 November 2009 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1131
Joined  2009-06-02
LTFancher - 09 November 2009 07:20 PM

I’m really trying to understand this Block eating, but I’m having trouble locating where exactly to begin on getting some insight on this.  Any help?

Crossfit Journal 21. Free at the journal website (tho if you’ve converted to Xfit, get that subscription! So worth it!). Also, there have been a lot recent threads lately on Zone blocks, so searching is helpful.

Signature 

23/5’9”/162
Sisu
Double unders are stupid unless:
1. You have no other holes in your fitness
2. You plan on competing
- Garddawg

Posted: 27 August 2010 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-08-27

I have a question about this block list, I’m mostly looking for confirmation on the following.

I’ll use the sunflower seeds in the fats category as an example.
does that mean that 1/4 tsp = one block?
3 almonds = 1 block?
12 asaparagus spears = one block? etc..etc..

thanks in advance.

Posted: 27 August 2010 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  2357
Joined  2009-06-05

YEa you got it.

Signature 

23/M/6’4”/222
Started crossfit 5/1/2009 265#‘s
“No matter whom you are you have weaknesses and Crossfit will shed light on those weaknesses, enabling you to work on them.” Me
“Mastroj is a tsunami on the Eastern Seaboard . . . ” TexasPatrick
Look me up on facebook facebook.com/mastroj

Posted: 12 December 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-12-12

3 almonds counts as a block of fat? Just 3?! Lol that sucks.

Posted: 12 December 2010 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  13178
Joined  2007-01-30
ABR1988 - 12 December 2010 09:56 AM

3 almonds counts as a block of fat? Just 3?! Lol that sucks.

Eeeeeyup.

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 24 January 2011 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-01-22

Sir or Ma’am

I am new to CrossFit and was trying to access the Zone diet link to no avail.  Could you post a new link.  I am a 34 yr old military male with a desk job.  I weigh apx 195 and am 5’ 8”.

Thank you very much for this site. I am very excited to start my first workout tomorrow. 

Blessings

Mark

Posted: 24 January 2011 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  13178
Joined  2007-01-30
mark.ray.fisher - 24 January 2011 02:01 AM

Sir or Ma’am

I am new to CrossFit and was trying to access the Zone diet link to no avail.  Could you post a new link.  I am a 34 yr old military male with a desk job.  I weigh apx 195 and am 5’ 8”.

Thank you very much for this site. I am very excited to start my first workout tomorrow. 

Blessings

Mark

Welcome!

The one link to crossfit warehouse doesn’t work.  Have no idea where to get another one. Google search Crossfit Journal 21 Oh, wait . . . .

http://journal.crossfit.com/2004/05/zone-meal-plans-crossfit-journ.tpl

It’s a free download.  Then spend a bunch of time reading through this forum on the diets.  I can assure you most questions have been asked and answered. 

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 24 January 2011 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9610
Joined  2007-01-08
mark.ray.fisher - 24 January 2011 02:01 AM

Sir or Ma’am

Blessings

Mark

Was it the Angry G list you couldn’t access or one of the Google Docs files?

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 24 January 2011 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2011-01-16

A couple things I found really helpful in getting started on the Zone:

Check out Metric’s Zone Block Calculator sticky in this forum.  It will provide a helpful guide in setting up the blocks you need for training.  As mentioned in that post, it is no substitute for a trainer specifying what you need, but can help you in your travels.

There is a spreadsheet here, that can help you set up meals, and experiment with what you’re eating, to hit your zone goals.

I’m just starting out as well, and certainly no expert, but I find it convenient when I can track and plan ahead.  Hope that helps out!

Signature 

M/38/6’/195#

Posted: 01 February 2011 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  372
Joined  2010-05-11
LTFancher - 09 November 2009 07:20 PM

Welcome Lt.,

I understand how you feel.  It took me a bit to get going myself when I started.  The blocks are pretty simple once you get the hang of it.  I highly recommend getting your hands on a copy of Entering the Zone, which explains why the Zone works.  But, if you don’t care about the why, and just want the ‘how’, here it is:

There are 3 basic “building blocks” of food, referred to as “macro-nutrients”.  They are protein, carbohydrate, and fat.  Everything you eat falls into one of those 3 categories.  Granted, some protein sources also contain fat, as do some carb sources, but for the most part we’ll pretend there isn’t any overlap and everything fits nicely into one of those three categories.

The Zone takes those macro-nutrients and assigns each meal a portion of total calories to each one.  So each meal should consist of 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.  To make it easier, and to adjust for the different levels of caloric density across the 3 macro-nutrients, the Zone created “the block”.

1 block =
7 grams of protein
9 grams of carbohydrates
1.5 grams of fat

Each meal should contain a roughly equal number of blocks of each of the 3 macro-nutrients.  Magically, if you follow this prescription, you fall right into the 40/30/30 portioning mentioned above.  So, taking myself as an example, I am 5’8” and weighed about 168ish when I first started the Zone.  My lean body mass measurement put me into a 14-block per day prescription.  You’ll need to figure out what your Zone block prescription is, and CFJ21 I think helps with that, or you can Google for a Zone Block calculator to help you out.

Once you know what your daily prescription is, divide that number by 3. For me 14/3 = 4.  That number is my per-meal block prescription for EACH macro-nutrient.  i.e. I need 4 blocks of fat, 4 blocks of protein, and 4 blocks of carbs PER MEAL.  Now, take the remainder, which is 2 blocks for me, and divide that by 2.  The remainder/2 = your snack block count.  I have 2 blocks to work with, so I get 2 snacks at 1 block each.  That’s a snack of 1 block each of carbs, fat, and protein.  I typically have one sometime between lunch and dinner, and the other sometime before bed.

And there you go.  Now, the hardest part is figuring out what constitutes a block of each macro-nutrient.  There are a tone of lists floating around.  I found it extremely helpful to keep a copy of CFJ21 with me for a while until I got the hang of it.  There’s also a spreadsheet I printed out which was a combination of something referred to as “The Angry G” list, and someone else’s list.  I printed that out and stuck it, along with CFJ21 into a 3-ring binder which stayed in my kitchen for quite a while so I could refer to it.

My biggest piece of advice is to take it slow.  Don’t try to just wake up one morning and say, “Today I start the Zone”.  Just start trying to make your existing meals fit the block prescription.  Over time, you’ll get a feel for how many blocks are in different things and what foods are more nutrient-dense than others, which you can have more of and which you can have less of.  I very quickly found myself gravitating toward paleo-compliant foods because I got to eat a lot more of them.  For example, I can have a whole melon, or 2 pieces of toast.  I’d rather have the whole melon. Psychologically, 2 pieces of toast for my entire carb portion at breakfast doesn’t seem like enough.  Caloricly, it’s identical, but nutrient wise, the toast is actually anti-nutritional.

I hope that helps somewhat. and if not, feel free to come back and ask lots of clarifying questions.  I know I certainly did!  But don’t whine.  Metric hates whining grin

Oh, and Thank you, Sir, for your service.  I greatly appreciate it!

Paul

Signature 

40M/ 5’8”/ 168 as of Crossfit DOB: 13 May 2010
If you’re not having fun, you’re not doing it right!
Become a paranoid optimist: The world is out to help you!

Posted: 01 February 2011 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9610
Joined  2007-01-08
MyShapeIsNoLongerPear - 01 February 2011 09:25 AM

You’ll need to figure out what your Zone block prescription is, and CFJ21 I think helps with that, or you can Google for a Zone Block calculator to help you out.

We have one linked here http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/5320/

MyShapeIsNoLongerPear - 01 February 2011 09:25 AM

But don’t whine.  Metric hates whining grin

mad

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

‹‹ Some Paleo help      Robb Wolf podcast ››