D/U’s are killing me.
Posted: 06 July 2011 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2009-03-25

Hey Fellas,
So my ankle finally feels healed enough to do double-unders. I started about 2 weeks ago at the ‘gym’ here in Missouri. Problem is that after 25 or so my shins feel like they are going to explode. After doing a few rounds of anything that has D/Us, I can barely stand. Now, other than being a big P#$$y, is this just shin splints? I’ve read that rest is the key but I rested them for 15 weeks while my ankle healed up a bit.
Is a product like this a good idea?

http://prohealthsupplies.com/ChoPat-Shin-Splint-Compression-Sleeve-Large/M/B0034D9DLM.htm

I’ve read a whole lot of stuff online but I value your opinions on this stuff more than any other.

I’ll be back at BX on July 18, hopefully for a while… unless a Hurricane makes landfall in the next couple months.
Thanks,
Alex

PS. Jeff- You get that sheep dog patch i left for you? A very cool dude (Joplin PD) I was cruising around with had it on one day.

Signature 

“but those who hope in the LORD
    will renew their strength.
    They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31

Posted: 06 July 2011 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3872
Joined  2009-03-01

Any chance we can get some video of you doing the double unders from the side?

Signature 

M/42/210#
Crossfit Birthday: 2/12/2009
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frosty996
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

Posted: 06 July 2011 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25
frosty996 - 06 July 2011 08:13 PM

Any chance we can get some video of you doing the double unders from the side?

Frosty, i’d like to upload video but the odds of a video are nill until i get back to BX and at that point I’ll have access to world class Dan and Jeff in person. That’s almost 2 weeks away though…

My form is the same as it’s always been which is what’s killing me. Prior to busting my ankle apart, i was pretty good at doing them with no pain at all.
I learned my form from a super nice guy named from GB that visits BX a lot. He’s the Obi-Wan of D/Us.
My guess it that it’s my weak lower legs from not doing much (any) jumping the last 3 months.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2011 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-03-01

Tough one! Do you kiss the ground with your heel or not when you do your bounce?

When you came back from your ankle injury how many were you able to do out of the gate?  Might just be an overuse injury.

Signature 

M/42/210#
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

Posted: 06 July 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25
frosty996 - 06 July 2011 08:34 PM

Tough one! Do you kiss the ground with your heel or not when you do your bounce?

When you came back from your ankle injury how many were you able to do out of the gate?  Might just be an overuse injury.

I don’t kiss the ground. I’m on my mid foot/toes the whole time…could it be that simple? Should I be kissing the ground? maybe my form IS different now. I don’t jump high.My feet are together, legs straight, hands close and out front. All wrist. Like a mini ‘pike’ move if that makes sense.
Out of the gate i started with 3 rounds of 25. My personal WOD that day was actually 3 rounds of HPC (10x135), 15 T2B, 20 Dips, 25 D/Us. Maybe it is an overuse issue since my ankle still doesn’t feel healed enough to actually run. I can jog on it for a bit (400 max without a break) but no chance at any sprint.

All I know for sure is that the ice I had on them for the last hour felt great.

What do you think about the compression brace (link above)? Looks like it might be good for DL too instead of long socks. I’ve never been one for extra ‘stuff’, besides taping my ankle lately, but this doesn’t look like a bad idea.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2011 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-03-01

Oh! You know what I didn’t ask: is the pain only on the side with the busted ankle?

Signature 

M/42/210#

Posted: 06 July 2011 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-25
frosty996 - 06 July 2011 09:33 PM

Oh! You know what I didn’t ask: is the pain only on the side with the busted ankle?

Great question. It’s both legs BUT the leg with the busted ankle is a bit worse AND my achilles hurts afterwards. My orthopedic said the achilles pain is normal for the injury and so long as i stretch good he said the pain with eventually go away. i suspect he isn’t a Crossfitter. ....

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2011 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-03-01

BTW, I’m still leaning towards overuse, specially since you say running is an issue.  That sleeve looks great for rope climbs, but I doubt you’ll need it for this.  Probably just need to ramp up a little slower.

Signature 

M/42/210#

Posted: 04 August 2011 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2010-02-28

When I used to run a lot I ended up getting shin splits.  After laying off running for a while, at least until my shins didn’t hurt sitting on the couch, and they were to a point that I felt was on the mend I started doing stretching and strengthening the muscles.  These included toe raises with light resistance and stretching the front of your shin.

Also found this part of an article regarding chronic shin splints not sure if it applies to you or not:

A third portion of the anatomy dealing with shin splints is when an athlete’s arch of the foot collapse due to the constant weight-bearing and impact causing over-pronation or “flat feet.” When this occurs, the athlete should be treated for the fallen arches rather than the shin splints because they will keep coming back if the true root cause is not treated.

Signature 

M/22/6-4/210/12BF

Posted: 04 August 2011 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3673
Joined  2007-12-23

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/06/episode-270365-mobrx-for-shin-splints.html

You might try this from KStar

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

‹‹ "The Third Jihad"      Need help ››