2 of 3
Vegan + Crossfit= ????
Posted: 03 April 2012 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  847
Joined  2010-05-25
Dan278 - 03 April 2012 01:40 AM

but maybe you didnt know that the Gladitors were Vegan.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Signature 

M/42/6’3.5/207
Current#: 206

CF DOB 05/25/10

Posted: 04 April 2012 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2012-01-23

My roommate is vegan. Has been for several several years. He is 6’5” skinny as a bean pole. He tried putting on weight and everything working out etc… He took vegan based weight gainer supplements did everything he could. took in an insane amount of calories. Ate a wellbalanced “vegan” diet.  Never gained an ounce of weight. I explained to him about properly eating a well balanced diet with meat. Never listened

But that’s not the point of my story. Back in high school.(We are seniors now in college). Back senior high school he was 6’5” around 210 pounds solid body mass ate a relatively healthy diet. Physically stronger than the average male high schooler. Worked out less than he does now better shape then than he is now presently. He currently weighs in at an amazing 155 pounds.

Signature 

M: 22/5’10”/195#
10.5% body fat down

No Reserves No Regrets No Retreats

Posted: 04 April 2012 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20

I hate to encourage trolls, I really do, but a quick Google search led me to this article: http://www.archaeology.org/0811/abstracts/gladiator.html (WFS) It kind of makes sense when you think about it.

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 12 January 2013 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-02-04

Hey Folks,

Just saw this post.  For the record:

I have been a vegan for nearly 8 years and a CrossFitter for 4 years. When I first walked into the box, I did Fran in 9-1/2 minutes with 75# on the bar and jumping pull-ups.

Last week, I did a sub-5 Fran, Rx-ed, after coming back from a five month injury. This isn’t world-class time, but by the end of the year, I’m going to do a sub-four.

I’m not a great athlete. I’m 43, riddled with injuries to my rotator cuff, back, and right foot. I don’t show up five days a week. But I still do Murph in 40:42 with a 20-pound vest. Cindy is 21 + 16. Angie in 17:12.

All as a vegan.

Those of you who do paleo, I challenge you to try a plant-based, whole food diet. You’ll be AMAZED at what happens. Especially when it comes to your long-term health and your footprint on the planet!

Sincerely,
Erik

Signature 

http://erikstraininglog.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 January 2013 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2012-07-18

As we all have our diets we want and generally think is the best for some Paleo some Paleo with zone solutions some just straight zone. some vegan i think its best to take a look at peoples numbers over time. I know in the matter of less than a year of Crossfit and eating a paleo diet with no zone blocking i lost 60 pounds feel great all my cholesterol numbers are good when they werent a year ago i can bang out pullups descently do alot of wods as RX but still scale to pack since i think its best for time quality. and from the sounds of it it took vegans 6+ years to do that. Again im not here to bash vegan if you want that in your life good on you. Both of the vegans said they are riddled with injuries maybe look at this

two vegans on this page have / had alot of injuries they said also progress but very slow in my opinion. Maybe you take the paleo challenge and ill keep eating paleo since it works better. plus i hate bread lol

Signature 

Started Crosfit early July2012
Goal before Feb 18th = 1 Muscle Up
Goal before Feb 18th = 175lbs

M/25yo/69”/200

“Criminal perfer unarmed civilians, Dictators perfer unarmed citizens”

Posted: 15 January 2013 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-02-04

Hey JDCox,

Actually, I doubt my vegan diet has caused my injuries.  The only reason it takes me longer than some people to see progress is that I have not been consistent at the box.  I just have too many other commitments in my life.  But when I show up 4-5x/week, I make gains very quickly.

I came back on November 1st, after a five month injury rest.  Although I had stayed in some shape, I had lost some of my strength and metcons.  Two months later, I’m back, no problems, and I am actually stronger and in better condition than before I got injured.

That said, I don’t believe that a vegan diet holds me back in any way.  And don’t worry…I’m not judging you dirty meat-eaters!

<heh>

-e

Signature 

http://erikstraininglog.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 January 2013 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2012-07-18
bigbaderik - 15 January 2013 11:11 PM

Hey JDCox,

Actually, I doubt my vegan diet has caused my injuries.  The only reason it takes me longer than some people to see progress is that I have not been consistent at the box.  I just have too many other commitments in my life.  But when I show up 4-5x/week, I make gains very quickly.

I came back on November 1st, after a five month injury rest.  Although I had stayed in some shape, I had lost some of my strength and metcons.  Two months later, I’m back, no problems, and I am actually stronger and in better condition than before I got injured.

That said, I don’t believe that a vegan diet holds me back in any way.  And don’t worry…I’m not judging you dirty meat-eaters!

<heh>

-e

how is meat eating dirty? meat was meant to be eat and humans do it the cleanest hell lions attack their prey violently and then lick the prey while it drips in blood before eating it lol i think humans are actually clean meat eaters. :D plus paleo is lean clean meat not dirty fat meat

Signature 

Started Crosfit early July2012
Goal before Feb 18th = 1 Muscle Up
Goal before Feb 18th = 175lbs

M/25yo/69”/200

“Criminal perfer unarmed civilians, Dictators perfer unarmed citizens”

Posted: 18 March 2013 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  594
Joined  2012-05-16
jdcox - 15 January 2013 11:58 PM
bigbaderik - 15 January 2013 11:11 PM

Hey JDCox,

<heh>

-e

how is meat eating dirty? meat was meant to be eat and humans do it the cleanest hell lions attack their prey violently and then lick the prey while it drips in blood before eating it lol i think humans are actually clean meat eaters. :D plus paleo is lean clean meat not dirty fat meat

I recently went vegetarian-ish (i still eat meat occasionally) just to see if anything would change in my energy level. My wife wanted to eat healthier, and I’m always up for a challenge. BTW, I lost 100 lbs by eating a balanced diet and have tried Low-carb, high carb, high protien, low glycemic diets as well.

As a vegetarian I am very careful about making sure I’m getting enough protein every day. I use a high quality whey protein (which has 52 grams per serving), eat eggs and make sure I eat whole grain (organic) rice and beans to make sure I get a complete protein. Not to mention the insane amount of vegetable I eat. Oh and hey I lost 5 lbs my first week and saw no ill effect in my workout..Also I had NO cravings for sugar or meat. Why? Cause I was giving my body exactly what it needs to work at a high level.

You don’t HAVE to eat animal protein (meat) to get your daily amount in. Yes, you’re going to eat more carbs, but if you do it right, they will be very low glycemic carbs. Also, I try to get my carbs in early and eat carb free dinners. What is dumb is eating white flour and highly processed meats and thinking you are eating healthy. The goal is to be healthy, not just follow a diet plan and say you are Paleo/Zone/Atkins/Nutrisystem. If people eat Paleo but do so by eating hotdogs, hormel fatty bacon, hormone induced chicken and processed fruits/nuts then what is the point? You are probably doing more harm than good. I know a lot of Paleo guys who do it right but I know more who do it wrong…

Again, I haven’t been doing the veg thing very long but so far I have been super impressed with how my body has reacted.

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 18 March 2013 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-20

Red Beard: I’m curious as to what a carb free dinner looks like to a vegetarian. Are you just eating fats with whey protein?

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 18 March 2013 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16
smithma7 - 18 March 2013 08:40 AM

Red Beard: I’m curious as to what a carb free dinner looks like to a vegetarian. Are you just eating fats with whey protein?

Well the word “vegetarian” says it all. Many vegetarians eat way too many bad carbs. For instance, we did a bunch of grilled veggies with a light lemon vinaigrette drizzeled on top. With that we did a portabella mushroom topped with fresh mozerrella and balamic vinegar dressing..

Once we did braised red cabbage with a fresh salad….Yesterday: Sauteed, garlic and red pepper kale with grilled corn…

If you eat correctly through-out the day you shouldn’t (don’t) need a heavy meal at night to keep you full. Breakfast is eggs with 1/2 serving of oatmeal. Lunch is typically rice and beans with a feta, tomato, spinach, kale, arugula etc salad. If I workout late in the day, Ill take my protein shake right after my workout and maybe have some carbs with dinner…But I eat carbs at night too and still lost weight.

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 18 March 2013 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  524
Joined  2012-11-24

I’ve been 95% vegan for the last 3 years. The 5% is fish oil. I’ve gotten many questions over the years about my diet. These 2 are the most common:

Where do you get your Protein? I get most of mine from brown/green lentils, beans and soy products. These are high in phytic acid (not good) as are most other nuts, seeds and grains. So I take steps to reduce phytic acid which involve sprouting and fermenting that I wont go into here.

And what about Iron? Again: lentils, beans and fortified soy products. But, this is non-heme iron (inferior to heme iron). It’s critical to eat these with Vitamin C rich foods which helps absorption.

If anyone else has some good tips please share.

Signature 

M 29 178cm 80kg

Posted: 18 March 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-20
Red Beard - 18 March 2013 08:52 AM

Well the word “vegetarian” says it all. Many vegetarians eat way too many bad carbs. For instance, we did a bunch of grilled veggies with a light lemon vinaigrette drizzeled on top. With that we did a portabella mushroom topped with fresh mozerrella and balamic vinegar dressing..

Once we did braised red cabbage with a fresh salad….Yesterday: Sauteed, garlic and red pepper kale with grilled corn…

If you eat correctly through-out the day you shouldn’t (don’t) need a heavy meal at night to keep you full. Breakfast is eggs with 1/2 serving of oatmeal. Lunch is typically rice and beans with a feta, tomato, spinach, kale, arugula etc salad. If I workout late in the day, Ill take my protein shake right after my workout and maybe have some carbs with dinner…But I eat carbs at night too and still lost weight.

Ahhh, so it’s not a carb free dinner. It’s a “bad carb” free dinner. All plants are carbs, my friend. wink That’s why I was at a loss when you first posted about your dinner. “If he doesn’t eat meat, and is avoiding carbs for dinner, then what the hell is he eating?!?” ALL plants are carbs. All said with a friendly smile. Carry on!

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 19 March 2013 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16
smithma7 - 18 March 2013 02:31 PM
Red Beard - 18 March 2013 08:52 AM

Ahhh, so it’s not a carb free dinner. It’s a “bad carb” free dinner. All plants are carbs, my friend. wink That’s why I was at a loss when you first posted about your dinner. “If he doesn’t eat meat, and is avoiding carbs for dinner, then what the hell is he eating?!?” ALL plants are carbs. All said with a friendly smile. Carry on!

True should have clarified my point better. Bread free (no carb) dinners. Though there’s a big difference between carbs from grains and carbs from veggies.

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Posted: 19 March 2013 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-20
Red Beard - 19 March 2013 05:06 AM

Though there’s a big difference between carbs from grains and carbs from veggies.

You’ve got that right!!

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 19 March 2013 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  524
Joined  2012-11-24
smithma7 - 19 March 2013 08:42 AM
Red Beard - 19 March 2013 05:06 AM

Though there’s a big difference between carbs from grains and carbs from veggies.

You’ve got that right!!

Whats the differnce? Please enlighten me. I think the carbs are similar. It’s the lectins, phytates, etc, which are the problem, no? And most of these baddies can be greatly reduced through natural processes. ie: soaking, fermenting, sprouting and cooking.

Signature 

M 29 178cm 80kg

2 of 3