Just looking for a little help
Posted: 12 October 2011 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2011-10-04

Here’s the situation,
I have limited experience in Martial Arts. Couple Krav Maga classes until I found out the instructor was… let’s just say less than ideal. He had never trained in Krav Maga before he did a 2 week course with an “instructor for the ISDF” whose name he wouldn’t give out. I did some MMA with the ATA in Havelock, NC before I got injured and the Corps made me stop going. I have a grey belt in MCMAP. So like I said, my experience is incredibly limited! They offer Aiki-Jujutsu out here, and I will probably start that once my schedule settles down a little bit. Right now I have gear certifications, Rifle Ranges, Sgt’s Course, and a nice little week long trip to Kuala Lumpur to relax after the craziness. This should all be wrapping up right around mid-March. At that point I will be working a nice 0730-1530 job that will accomodate class a couple times a week. In the mean time though, I would like to at least be getting some time on the bags and such. The gym I do Crossfit in has a Martial Arts room. There are 2 heavy bags, 2 focus boards (I think that’s what they are called) 2 Speed bags, and 2 (bear with me here, I don’t know what they are called. They are similar to speed bags in size and shape, but they are suspended between two ropes, one of which is elastic). So, that’s the gear that I have to work with right now. Like I said, my experience is limited, but I know basic hand, elbow, foot, knee strikes. Could someone help me throw together some basic drills I can be doing on my own after the WOD everyday? There are also floor mats, so break falls, and forward shoulder rolls can be done as well. I train by myself right now which severely holds me back, at least I feel like it does right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Signature 

Molon Labe
Exitus Acta Probat
Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum
Vereor Non Magnus Nocens Lupus

Blog: http://bigcountryrhino1985.blogspot.com/
AftertheWOD http://www.afterthewod.com/AthleteCommunity/Profile.aspx?988/BigCountryRhino
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.rinell Feel free to add me with a message saying you’re from Brand X
“Slow gains are pemanent gains. Fast gains almost always set you up for an injury.” -Metric

Posted: 13 October 2011 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  563
Joined  2009-07-07

Big country I’ve dabbled in Krav Maga more so when I lived in California but I took classes out here in Kansas as well but haven’t in several years after my two sons were born mostly due to cost. I still go to a couple seminars a year with both KMWW and IKI.

I like to get in some heavy bag work at least once a week on a rest day or after a wod and use Bas Rutten’s CD were he calls out combos and you react with the strikes. 2 or 3 min rounds using knees kicks etc, great bag workout. Send me a PM and I can hook you up.

I also really like John Whitman and his org. Krav Maga Alliance (of which I believe Brand X is an affiliate) John has some very good vids on his site for you to check out.  http://www.kravmagaalliance.com/media/video-demos/

Signature 

“If you’re not afraid of your workout you’re not working out hard enough”
NEVER walk away from your bar! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! - Jeff Martin

Posted: 13 December 2011 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8462
Joined  2004-07-08

BCR, I have just read your post here, but I’m also heading out the door for class. I would be happy to share with you some drills and combinations with Crossfit that would really help you out.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 10 January 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  563
Joined  2009-07-07

Know this is old but I’d be interested in seeing what you have Big D, if you get a chance.

Signature 

“If you’re not afraid of your workout you’re not working out hard enough”
NEVER walk away from your bar! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! - Jeff Martin

‹‹ 8/7/11      Kenpo Test ››