Fatigue
Posted: 08 November 2011 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2011-10-13

I think this topic has been covered to a large degree, but I would just like some clarity.
I’ve been doing the scaled workouts for about 2 months, and it looks like I need some additional rest days. After work on some days (like yesterday) I am whipped.  To maintain the principle of funtionality, should I keep the WODs in sequence? Eventually I would be following several days behind, but doing all the WODs, just spaced out. I think I just answered my own question, but any additional thoughts woud be appreciated.

This is a great website and forum, Thanks!
Grandpa

Signature 

M/65/5’7”/155

Posted: 08 November 2011 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13289
Joined  2007-01-30

Grandpa

You are probably in need of a rest week.  Second, the wods you miss are gone. Don’t worry about them.  Am typing this from my phone so I can’t link to the discussions previous.

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 08 November 2011 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23

take the rest days you need, if one on two off works for you do that,
two months on and then taking a rest week might be just your speed,

you can always do something complementary on your days off, yoga, hiking, swimming
so Mon-WOD, Tues-rest, Wed-swim/yoga, Thurs-WOD, Fri-rest, Sat-hike, Sun-rest

for a month or towo then add in another WOD day in place of one of the others

see how you feel

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 08 November 2011 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9839
Joined  2007-01-08
Grandpa - 08 November 2011 05:17 AM

I think this topic has been covered to a large degree, but I would just like some clarity.
I’ve been doing the scaled workouts for about 2 months, and it looks like I need some additional rest days. After work on some days (like yesterday) I am whipped.  To maintain the principle of funtionality, should I keep the WODs in sequence? Eventually I would be following several days behind, but doing all the WODs, just spaced out. I think I just answered my own question, but any additional thoughts woud be appreciated.

This is a great website and forum, Thanks!
Grandpa

You don’t have to keep them in sequence, but there are some minor advantages to doing so.
Something I’ve suggested before is to maintain the cycles of 3.

You pick a block of 3 workouts you haven’t done from a week or so behind the main-site and do those at whatever spacing will allow you to make progress and then pick the next block of 3. Videos of Tony Budding explaining the mainsite programming show that the 3 day cycles are programmed with thought to the combined effect that they have and that sometimes extends to 2 blocks of 3, but not often.

If you miss WODs don’t worry about it and for goodness’ sakes don’t double up to try and “catch up”. That’s just stupid and you’ll hurt yourself.

I think you have the idea from what you’ve said.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 08 November 2011 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-13

TP, Mawdawg and Metric,
Thanks for the insights and words of wisdom.
Metric, roger that, on not doubling up….it would do me in. confused

I’ll check out the Tony Budding videos.

Thanks for the help!!
Grandpa

Signature 

M/65/5’7”/155

Posted: 08 November 2011 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08
Grandpa - 08 November 2011 11:31 AM

TP, Mawdawg and Metric,

Thanks for the help!!
Grandpa

I needed to find this post.
I linked all of the “Tony explains the WOD” videos in this post:
http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewreply/249365/
They were alternate videos on the mainsite and are hard to find if you didn’t see them go up at the time.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”

Posted: 08 November 2011 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-13
Metric - 08 November 2011 11:40 AM
Grandpa - 08 November 2011 11:31 AM

TP, Mawdawg and Metric,

Thanks for the help!!
Grandpa

I needed to find this post.
I linked all of the “Tony explains the WOD” videos in this post:
http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewreply/249365/
They were alternate videos on the mainsite and are hide to find if you didn’t see them go up at the time.

I couldn’t find them on the mainsite. Thanks for the link!!

Signature 

M/65/5’7”/155

Posted: 11 November 2011 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-13

You pick a block of 3 workouts you haven’t done from a week or so behind the main-site and do those at whatever spacing will allow you to make progress and then pick the next block of 3. Videos of Tony Budding explaining the mainsite programming show that the 3 day cycles are programmed with thought to the combined effect that they have and that sometimes extends to 2 blocks of 3, but not often.

Metric, I think I am understanding this a little better. I am going to go back a few weeks and pick some 3 day cycles and build in some rest. (I just wanted to do Murph today).

My blocks of WODs should include Task oriented, Time oriented, and then Heavy as in 1-1-ect or 2-2-ect. Would this be correct?

Thanks!

Signature 

M/65/5’7”/155

Posted: 11 November 2011 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2007-01-08
Grandpa - 11 November 2011 01:35 PM

Metric, I think I am understanding this a little better. I am going to go back a few weeks and pick some 3 day cycles and build in some rest. (I just wanted to do Murph today).

My blocks of WODs should include Task oriented, Time oriented, and then Heavy as in 1-1-ect or 2-2-ect. Would this be correct?

Thanks!

Probably getting a bit technical, something I’m prone to, aka overthinking.
Just pick a block of 3. Any block of 3.
As in the WODs are posted in a 3 day cycle, 3 WODs, Rest day. Pick one block of 3 from between 2 rest days on the mainsite and do those.
Then do another 3.
To keep it random don’t pick blocks you like. So I would do something like:
Back up enough days so that you will never “catch-up”, and it’s only because I’m being lazy here and not thinking about this enough that I’m not giving you examples.
Get the 3 WODs.
Do them.
When you’re done, find the most recent block of WODs you haven’t done.
Do those.
Actually as I write this I realise that all you have to do is go back to the most recent block of 3 or even the one that is running right now and start there. If you’re spreading the 3 WODS over a week there’s no risk of you overlapping.

So you’ve done Murph.
Do the next WOD the next day you train and the final WOD from this 3 day cycle/block after that.
By then you’ll be at least one complete cycle behind so find the most recent complete cycle and do those and then carry on that way.

In the long run everything evens out and you’re just using a set algorithm to avoid picking WODs that play to your strengths, aka cherry picking.

Signature 

Craig Massey

Garddawg - 22 March 2009

Posted: 11 November 2011 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-13

As in the WODs are posted in a 3 day cycle, 3 WODs, Rest day. Pick one block of 3 from between 2 rest days on the mainsite and do those.
Then do another 3.

Ahh…over thinking I was. The light just came on!  surprised 

I actually am having a small out patient procedure done on Friday, 11/18. The result will be about 10 rest days, So I will have a couple of blocks right there to start with.

Thanks for the clarity on this!

Signature 

M/65/5’7”/155

‹‹ just starting      Inconsistency. ››