Scoliosis Surgery
Posted: 04 January 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-04

Hello!

I’m Tuomas, a 19-year-old college student from Finland. At the age of 16 I was diagnosed with scoliosis and it was very mild at that point, only about 13 degrees. But it was progressive and I didn’t take care of my health until exactly 2 years ago, when I was 17, I decided to start working out. I did HIIT-jogs every other morning, went to the gym 3-4 times a week, played floorball and ate more healthy. At the same time it was decided, that I would have to have surgery, because the curvature was up to 60+ degrees. Yeah, it went from around 13 to over 60 in a year and a half.

So I trained like that for 4 months, and the surgery came along. Just before the surgery my curvature was 65-68 degrees, if I remember correctly. The surgery affected most of my spine, I think I have one or two unaffected vertebrae in my lower-back and one or two in my upper back. The rest of my spine is supported by titanium bars and screws, and also the vertebrae have been ossified (not sure if the correct word).

After the surgery I had to mostly lie in bed for a month, and since then I haven’t worked out at all. I’ve gained a lot of weight (I was 160lb and now I’m 193) and my self-esteem is very low. So I made a new year’s resolution to start exercising again and CrossFit seems like an excellent way to train, but I’m just wondering if it’s suitable for me or not. Six months after my surgery I had a check-up, where my doctor said I could start exercising and moving again, as long as I didn’t do any combat sports ie. wrestling, boxing, muay-thai, but for example he gave me permission to play golf and such, as in activities where I need to rotate my spine.

So, any thoughts? I really would love to try this out and also change my diet completely. If you didn’t understand something I said, please ask and I’ll try to explain better, ‘cos some of the ‘medical words’ are kinda unfamiliar to me. smile

Thanks,
stuba

PS. Also if required/wanted, I can post pre-op/post-op x-rays. They’re kinda rad, so to speak!

Posted: 04 January 2012 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9802
Joined  2007-01-08
stuba - 04 January 2012 05:04 PM

Hello!

I’m Tuomas, a 19-year-old college student from Finland. At the age of 16 I was diagnosed with scoliosis and it was very mild at that point, only about 13 degrees. But it was progressive and I didn’t take care of my health until exactly 2 years ago, when I was 17, I decided to start working out. I did HIIT-jogs every other morning, went to the gym 3-4 times a week, played floorball and ate more healthy. At the same time it was decided, that I would have to have surgery, because the curvature was up to 60+ degrees. Yeah, it went from around 13 to over 60 in a year and a half.

So I trained like that for 4 months, and the surgery came along. Just before the surgery my curvature was 65-68 degrees, if I remember correctly. The surgery affected most of my spine, I think I have one or two unaffected vertebrae in my lower-back and one or two in my upper back. The rest of my spine is supported by titanium bars and screws, and also the vertebrae have been ossified (not sure if the correct word).

After the surgery I had to mostly lie in bed for a month, and since then I haven’t worked out at all. I’ve gained a lot of weight (I was 160lb and now I’m 193) and my self-esteem is very low. So I made a new year’s resolution to start exercising again and CrossFit seems like an excellent way to train, but I’m just wondering if it’s suitable for me or not. Six months after my surgery I had a check-up, where my doctor said I could start exercising and moving again, as long as I didn’t do any combat sports ie. wrestling, boxing, muay-thai, but for example he gave me permission to play golf and such, as in activities where I need to rotate my spine.

So, any thoughts? I really would love to try this out and also change my diet completely. If you didn’t understand something I said, please ask and I’ll try to explain better, ‘cos some of the ‘medical words’ are kinda unfamiliar to me. smile

Thanks,
stuba

PS. Also if required/wanted, I can post pre-op/post-op x-rays. They’re kinda rad, so to speak!

I don’t know if we can answer this. We have some information from someone with a lesser version of what you have, but I don’t know that it’s safe to take advice from a bunch of people you don’t know who have no medical training.

You can absolutely use CrossFit principles in your training, but whether it’s safe for you to do anything like the mainsite workouts without someone who is intimately familiar with your health issues and skilled at coaching the movements watching you in person, not so sure about that.

My opinion is that you need to have a coach watching you when you’re under load. At least until you know what you’re doing and what you need to accommodate.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 05 January 2012 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-04
Metric - 04 January 2012 07:29 PM
stuba - 04 January 2012 05:04 PM

Hello!

Thanks,
stuba

I don’t know if we can answer this. We have some information from someone with a lesser version of what you have, but I don’t know that it’s safe to take advice from a bunch of people you don’t know who have no medical training.

You can absolutely use CrossFit principles in your training, but whether it’s safe for you to do anything like the mainsite workouts without someone who is intimately familiar with your health issues and skilled at coaching the movements watching you in person, not so sure about that.

My opinion is that you need to have a coach watching you when you’re under load. At least until you know what you’re doing and what you need to accommodate.

Thanks for the input. That was the answer I was expecting to be honest, now I just gotta find someone who is good at CrossFit in the city I live in. Should probably ask a good physiotherapist about this too.

Posted: 21 January 2012 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-21

I am 39 years old.  I had spinal fusion surgery to correct my scoliosis in Dec 2009.  My thoracic curve measured approximately 65 degrees and I had a compensatory lumbar curve that nearly completely bends out.  I had a posterior fusion from T4 to L1.  I am now 5ā€5ā€ tall.  I gained an inch.  I was very active before my surgery.  I now have two 5.5 mm stainless steel rods (the legacy set) with screws and hooks.  I was off work for 3 months followed by 6 months of PT.  I gradually began getting back active after about a year and a few months or so.  It had now been 3 years.  I feel great.  I have been doing crossfit for 4 months now.  I am very protective of my spine.  So I generally go light on weight until feel comfortable enough with the movement.  I still have a lot of flexibility because of most of my L spine was not fused.  My doctor told me no contact sports or jumping out of planes but I would be able to run and do Pilates (my two main concerns).  I am quite surprised that I have been able to crossfit for 4 months.  I encourage you to check with your doctor, do what you can, and jump it.  It is definitely worth it.  My self-esteem is so high now that I am strong.  I am amazed by the things my body can do.  It feels almost like Iā€™m regular.  My shoulders are a little unlevel and sometimes I get muscle spasms under my shoulder blade from really intense workouts.  But it generally goes away after a few days.  Sometimes I take Motrin for muscle pain.  If I have a muscle spasm I take a muscle relaxer and ice my back.  I have a huge ice pack that I purchased from a medical supply store.  Overall, I think crossfit has been a wonderful part of my recovery both physically and mentally.  Find a doctor and a good trainer and do what you can.  Protect your spine and get started.  Crossfit is a killer workout but you can sub a lot of stuff ... take it slow and have fun.  Let me know how it goes.

Posted: 13 February 2013 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-02-13

Hey All, my name is Dawn I am 26 years old.  I had scoliosis surgery in late 2001.  I was a very active teenager in volleyball, basketball, softball, snowboarding, water sports etc…..  I had quite a big curve as well (backwards ‘S’).  I have my spine fused together from the top of my neck down to the bottom leaving about 3 or 4 vertibrae unfused with 2 rods and hooks and screws.  I was out of sports for about a year, my doctor did not want me to do Physical Therapy due to he felt it would only hold me back, which I agree.  However after highschool I did not do many sports until I found CrossFit in 2009.  I have noticed that it has HANDS DOWN improved my overall health with my back and scoliosis.  I have stronger back muscles as well as core which helps with all the other ‘faults’ due to scoliosis.  My back does not hurt with the little stings and burning muscles it used to after surgery.  My hips are a little off, my right ribs pop out from time to time, right shoulder is a little high some times but I go to the chiropractor for that which helps a huge amount.  I would aboslutely recommend CrossFit, trying it out slowly of course and see how your body reacts.  Of course check with your doctor although be aware some doctors are still wery and one or two have suggested otherwise to me but there is no way I would ever stop.  It has helped me more than I could have imagined, although I have found there are things that others who have not had scoliosis surgery can do that I have not fully figured out a way for me to accomplish but that just drives me harder to find the way.  I have noticed that icing my back as well if it gets tweaked a little really helps.  I kick up the icing during competition ‘seasons’.  Overall HIGHLY recommend it wink  I hope all goes well!!

Dawn