how often should one work out?
Posted: 24 April 2012 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-04-18

What’s a good balance for exercise and rest during the week? I’ve been working out 3-4 times a week. 
  Also, when the WOD is just bench press (5 sets of 3) and i’m not working out for another 2 days, would it be good to incorporate a metCon WOD to the bench press WOD?

Posted: 24 April 2012 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9876
Joined  2007-01-08

It’s more about your ability to recover than a set formula and that is unique to you.

We cover some of this ground in our FAQs, especially this one; http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/4744/

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 28 April 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2012-04-18

thanks…  since there is a WOD posted for everyday but one, if I only work out 3 times one week, do i just do the WODs that appear on my workout days? Will this provide for a well balanced Crossfit diet?  If i workout on a Crossfit rest day, do i just do the WOD from the previous day?

Posted: 28 April 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9876
Joined  2007-01-08
Felipe - 28 April 2012 12:23 PM

thanks…  since there is a WOD posted for everyday but one, if I only work out 3 times one week, do i just do the WODs that appear on my workout days? Will this provide for a well balanced Crossfit diet?  If i workout on a Crossfit rest day, do i just do the WOD from the previous day?

Your question has been answered previously and in looking around for one of the times it was I came across this which helps with your previous question.
From http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/11297/#213716:

Metric - 13 September 2010 08:21 PM

Well if you’re doing scaled mainsite WODs the rest days are built in, the cycle is 3 on (WOD days), one off (rest day).
A common recommendation is that you start out doing 1 on, one off for 2-3 weeks and then go to 2 on, 1 off for 2-3 weeks then 3 on one off.

It really depends on how fit you are when you start.

Something to watch out for though is that this stuff is much more intense than you might expect and people who start out all bouncy find they’re dragging themselves around after 3 weeks or so. It creeps up on you.

On your rest days do as much or as little as you please. Active rest is encouraged, which means playing sports, walking, hiking, gardening, basically living your life. Rest doesn’t mean the couch and a remote, it just means no crossfit. Alright, you can read about CF and watch videos, but that’s it. grin If you like running, run, if you like swimming, swim. Your call.
Mobility work is always good, rest days or not and it’s something you can do as extra work right from the start.

Skill work? Probably OK on a rest day so long as it is skill work. Olympic lifts with PVC or a broomstick for example. Practising muscle-ups? Maybe not unless you can already do 15 or so at a trot.
Unless you’re following behind the mainsite a few days you never know what could come up in the next WOD and way too many people have found that their skill work comes up as the next workout.

The best suggestion I can make is what I’ve already implied, for the first 3 weeks take it easy and go very light. Once you’ve gone that far you’ll have established whether your workload will make you hit the wall at that 3 week mark. If it does, you need to give yourself more time before you add extra work. If it didn’t you’re clear to add more. And of course you need to constantly monitor that as your ability to bring more intensity to the workout increases.
Overtraining can happen at any time and it’s sneaky. It’s there before you know it.

However I didn’t find a post that answers your question directly.
Oh, yes I did, just not the answer I was looking for, which wouldn’t have been as useful to you anyhow.

You train 3 times a week, so use this:
From http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewreply/262630/;

Metric - 08 November 2011 09:03 AM

You don’t have to keep them in sequence, but there are some minor advantages to doing so.
Something I’ve suggested before is to maintain the cycles of 3.

You pick a block of 3 workouts you haven’t done from a week or so behind the main-site and do those at whatever spacing will allow you to make progress and then pick the next block of 3. Videos of Tony Budding explaining the mainsite programming show that the 3 day cycles are programmed with thought to the combined effect that they have and that sometimes extends to 2 blocks of 3, but not often.

If you miss WODs don’t worry about it and for goodness’ sakes don’t double up to try and “catch up”. That’s just stupid and you’ll hurt yourself.

I think you have the idea from what you’ve said.

And expanding on that, later in the same topic http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/14317/#262936

Metric - 11 November 2011 01:48 PM

Just pick a block of 3. Any block of 3.
As in the WODs are posted in a 3 day cycle, 3 WODs, Rest day. Pick one block of 3 from between 2 rest days on the mainsite and do those.
Then do another 3.
To keep it random don’t pick blocks you like. So I would do something like:
Back up enough days so that you will never “catch-up”, and it’s only because I’m being lazy here and not thinking about this enough that I’m not giving you examples.
Get the 3 WODs.
Do them.
When you’re done, find the most recent block of WODs you haven’t done.
Do those.
Actually as I write this I realise that all you have to do is go back to the most recent block of 3 or even the one that is running right now and start there. If you’re spreading the 3 WODS over a week there’s no risk of you overlapping.

So you’ve done Murph.
Do the next WOD the next day you train and the final WOD from this 3 day cycle/block after that.
By then you’ll be at least one complete cycle behind so find the most recent complete cycle and do those and then carry on that way.

In the long run everything evens out and you’re just using a set algorithm to avoid picking WODs that play to your strengths, aka cherry picking.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 29 April 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2012-04-18

thank you for the time you put into researching, responding and your website.

Posted: 07 May 2012 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  605
Joined  2011-10-24

Aha, excellent advice. Switching to this model today! Thanks.

Signature 

M/47/5’10”/160