1 of 12
The Sandbox Thread-Where in the world is Brian?
Posted: 20 February 2006 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13878
Joined  2004-06-18

Any of you that want to pop off at Brian or send him your best please do it here.  I expect he’ll be busy off and on and this will give him one place to look (besides the CF Team Fallujah thread).

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 20 February 2006 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  664
Joined  2005-09-21

Brian,

I don’t know you personally, but feel i do through this board. Stay safe and keep true out there brother.

Look forward to seeing you smash the WOD from sunny, scenic Fallujah…

Signature 

M / 154# / 28yo / 5’9”

6 seconds.

http://www.crossfitmanchester.com

Posted: 20 February 2006 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

Brian,
Just wanted to thank you for your kind words and for what you add to the Brand X family. We have been lucky to have you and I hope you and the boys tear up Fallujah! Thank you for your service and we’ll be waiting for you when you get back. Safe journey.
Andrea

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 23 February 2006 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Hound
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2005-05-01

Brian,
  Say hello to Route Henry for me….  last time I was in Fallujah it was the safest place in Iraq… of course that was after we kicked everybody else out.  I hear they’re letting the Riff-Raff back in now so watch yourself over here.

Derek

Posted: 23 February 2006 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  846
Joined  2005-11-13

Hi all,

Greetings from “a” sandbox, but not “the” sandbox just yet.  On a layover between flights, found an internet cafe’ here on base and thought I’d check in.  The flight has been long but remarkably tolerable, with a minimum of needless delays and other hijinks.  Looking forward to getting in and settled down and starting Team Fallujah workouts.  Looking at the CF site it seems I have plenty to choose from.

Thanks for all the kind words, I look forward to getting back and seeing how much everyone has continued to excel and improve.  Derek, have a safe journey home, you’ve earned the break.  Semper Fi.

Brian

Signature 

"Xerxes does not want your lives, sir" the emissary called.  "Only your weapons."

Leonidas laughed.  "Tell him to come and get them."

Posted: 25 February 2006 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-11-13

Made it!

So here I am in sunny Iraq, been here all of about 15 hours and they already have my email accounts on two separate systems up and running, with nearly full inboxes on both (yes, I am chained SECURELY to my desk this time round).  Haven’t inventoried the gym yet, but the area looks promising - plenty of pullup bars here and there, lots of high curbs to do 24-30” jumps on, walls to paint targets on, oh life will be good!

The rest of Team Fallujah should be here in the next 2-3 weeks or so, start watching for WOD results!

Signature 

"Xerxes does not want your lives, sir" the emissary called.  "Only your weapons."

Posted: 26 February 2006 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  942
Joined  2004-06-30

Brian,

Glad to see you checking in.  I look forward to hearing of the workouts you come up with. 

Stay safe!!

Steve

Signature 

He was just a man doing a job.  A job whose primary attribute was self-restraint and self-composure, not for his own sake, but for those whom he lead by example.  A job whose objective could be boiled down to the single understatement, as he did at the Hot Gates on the morning he died, of performing the commonplace under uncommonplace conditions. 

Description of Dienekes, a Spartan warrior at the Battle of Thermopylae

Posted: 26 February 2006 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

Brian,
Thanks for checking in.  Things still are stll the same as when you left them here.
I want to see a Fran video in a couple of weeks.
J

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 26 February 2006 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-11-13

GD went and did it again….

After reading the discussion on the increase in Angie time due to strict form, I’ve decided that every workout here will be “Jonesworthy” in that respect so times will increase a bit at first.  The Fran video will have to wait until I 1) find a video camera and someone smart enough to transfer it to computer and 2) can knock out a sub-5 Fran with strict form (every pullup bar to chest, full a* to grass and extension on thrusters). 

Then maybe I’ll shoot for a sub-5 Fran wearing my vest, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here…. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2006 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2004-06-18

Gunner,
Here is another approach to think about.  In training, you wil hear or have heard me yell about peoples form.  But in a fight I won’t care what the punch looks like if you knock the guy out. 
It might be good to bounce back and forth between the two efforts.  One strict, the other fast and nasty.  I think you’ll find progression that way without losing anything you have built so far.

Signature 

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 27 February 2006 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  8466
Joined  2004-07-08

Glad to hear you made it Brian,

Stay in touch and updated on WOD performances! GO GET UM!!!!

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 27 February 2006 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4864
Joined  2004-08-27

“fast and nasty”......hmmm

Signature 

I hate burpees
I hate box jumps

Posted: 27 February 2006 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-11-13

“fast and nasty” - yeah, that could work, sounds a lot like our philosophy in clearing rooms.  “If it’s ugly but works, it ain’t ugly.”  I’ll give both a go and see what the result is, thanks for the tip.

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2006 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-11-13

Update from the sandbox….

The green “Infidel” tshirts from Crossfit are a huge hit.  I wear them for every workout, and get positive feedback every time.  It also draws (more) attention to the workout, feeding into my next eeeee-vil plan….

Boredom + Gunner = plotting and scheming.  I’ve decided that once the rest of Team Fallujah arrives and gets settled in, I’m going to throw down the gauntlet and begin recruiting.  I think a combo of the “Infidel” shirts (which I plan on offering to anyone who completes a benchmark workout then comes back for more) and strategically placed flyers (“looking for a REAL workout?” comes to mind) will help build the numbers nicely.  If I can get Team Fallujah into the double-digits for regular attendance I’ll call that a deployment well-spent. 

Just getting ready to start the deadlift/hang clean/push press workout the other day, and a guy walks up to me (I was at the squat rack) miming a biceps curl, asking if he can “work in.”  I said “Sure, you can do a couple sets if you want, but once I start it’s full on for 20 minutes.  Wanna play?”  Oddly enough, he demurred politely and walked away (backwards, cautiously LOL

This place is getting fun!  :twisted:

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2006 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  8466
Joined  2004-07-08

We all missed you Brian Saturday for PAINSTORM, something was missing!
Stay committed and safe.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 05 March 2006 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-11-13

Yeah, Painstorm wasn’t as much fun without a room full of people to share the misery with.  It was entertaining to watch the looks on peoples’ faces as it went on though, especially when they realized they got there after I’d started and were leaving before I was done LOL

Next Painstorm should be a banner event, the rest of the guys will be here by then and it’ll be a good turnout.  After that, I start expanding the empire… :twisted:

Signature 

1 of 12