4 of 12
The Sandbox Thread-Where in the world is Brian?
Posted: 17 March 2006 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2004-06-24
[quote author=“Gunner”] Penzoil Hair Club for Men

I dont even drink coffee and somehow there is a mouthful of it on the computer screen.  Classic

Signature 

Im always thinking one step ahead…like a carpenter building stairs.

Patience, n.—A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.

Posted: 17 March 2006 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  942
Joined  2004-06-30

Glad to see my humor is having the desired effect.

Take care Brian!!!

Signature 

He was just a man doing a job.  A job whose primary attribute was self-restraint and self-composure, not for his own sake, but for those whom he lead by example.  A job whose objective could be boiled down to the single understatement, as he did at the Hot Gates on the morning he died, of performing the commonplace under uncommonplace conditions. 

Description of Dienekes, a Spartan warrior at the Battle of Thermopylae

Posted: 18 March 2006 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  538
Joined  2006-01-11

Brian,

I don’t think we ever said more than “hi” to each other at the gym in Ramona, but I have to say that as a man I admire you, as an American I’m grateful for what you’re doing in the sandbox, and as a professional writer I appreciate your eye for detail. The Pennzoil thing and the Italian fashion thing cracked me up. Keep ‘em coming, and stay safe.

My dad was a Marine for 12 years, and really enjoyed CrossFit the few times he came to watch the rest of us do the WOD; I’ll have to share some of your posts with him.

Signature 

Because "viriliter age" has to mean something in English, too.

Posted: 19 March 2006 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  846
Joined  2005-11-13

Patrick,

Thank you for the kind words.  You’re a professional writer?  Have we read any of your stuff?  Fiction?  Nonfiction?  I’d love to hear about it, I just put down whatever the caffeine gets my brain to conjure up, the actual creative process is something I find fascinating when it’s done by people who know how to really harness it.

Signature 

"Xerxes does not want your lives, sir" the emissary called.  "Only your weapons."

Leonidas laughed.  "Tell him to come and get them."

Posted: 19 March 2006 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  538
Joined  2006-01-11

Brian,

I wish I could say I make a living writing novels, but my day job is in technical writing and editing. I’ve also written essays for conservative magazines, just to keep my hand in the game, so to speak. Here’s a sampling:

Ten Lessons of Fallujah.

Wiretap This.

A Pineapple or a Grenade?

Enjoy ‘em.

Signature 

Because "viriliter age" has to mean something in English, too.

Posted: 19 March 2006 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  5197
Joined  2004-06-22

Patrick, Just read your post, not the articles(yet) Impressive.

Signature 

“No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country”  T. Roosevelt

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not.”  Thomas Jefferson”

“History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid” - Gen Eisenhower.

Posted: 19 March 2006 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-11-13

Patrick,

Those articles are a great read.  Thank you for the support, and keep up the good work!  It’s nice to see someone on our side once in awhile, expecially when it’s presented intelligently and fairly.

Signature 

"Xerxes does not want your lives, sir" the emissary called.  "Only your weapons."

Posted: 19 March 2006 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1251
Joined  2006-02-06

GREAT articles. Big fan of Wiretap This. LOVE the following line:

“looking like six feet of perturbed.” As a six foot tall woman who is perturbed often…I LOVE THAT!

smile Arlene

Signature 

Yeah um…there is a REASON they call him SATAN!
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
- Japanese proverb
CHECK OUT PREGGO/POST PARTUM WORKOUTS AT http://WWW.CROSSFITMOM.COM

Posted: 18 April 2006 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-11-13

Hey everyone, checking in with a quick line from a base other that my own, probably looking a bit like six feet of perturbed myself the last couple of days.  All is well and I haven’t got a scratch on me, we’ve just been a bit…..busy of late.  I should be able to check in fully in a couple/three days, till then keep pounding out the WODs and I’ll talk to you all soon!

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2006 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  8530
Joined  2004-07-08

Gunner take care of there. It sounds pretty nasty over there right now.
Be safe.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 20 April 2006 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-11-13

OK, back in the relatively safer confines of Fallujah, I’m off to sift through 777 emails (no longer a lucky number :evil: ), shower up and get some rest.  Looking forward to tomorrow’s WOD…...

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2006 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2004-07-08

Go to see you back and safe Gunner. Now hit that WOD hard!

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2006 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2005-11-13

Random sights one never expects to see in a war zone…..

Near the building I work in is a pond, complete with working fountains.  I don’t know why we went through the effort to get the thing working again once we took over the area, but someone made the decision and there it is.  Because of said pond, we have a family of geese who’ve taken up residence, and they recently hatched three goslings.  Three times a day, they walk from the pond to the grassy area about 200 yards away (again, maintained for no discernable reason), where they get their grub on and then head back to the pond to swim it off.  It’s an amusing procession to watch, with the adult geese in a perfect formation around the goslings - one in front, one to the side the road is on, one behind.

Today, as I was walking back from lunch (and wishing I could just hop in a pool and swim it off myself), I saw the geese coming toward the grassy area, and paused to watch.  Just then, a pickup truck came down the road (it’s a busy area, so he was going appropriately slow).  The lead goose stepped in front of the truck, lowered it’s head, and did that half hiss/half bleat thing that geese do to appear intimidating.  The truck, driven by a Marine armed to the teeth, stopped, backed up, and allowed the geese to pass.  It was like watching a weird hybrid of “Animal Planet” and the footage from Tianamen Square.

It’s a good thing the bad guys don’t know our real Archilles’ Heel - all they’d have to do is release about 3000 puppies and other small, furry, and/or cute critters throughout Iraq, and watch every Marine in sight go “Awwww, c’mere little guy,” put their weapons down, and start petting and playing with the pups.  We’d be helpless.

Big tough guys we are! LOL

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2006 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1251
Joined  2006-02-06

Gunner:

Your post made me smile. My big tough Marine would have SO stopped that truck!!

smile Arlene

Signature 

Yeah um…there is a REASON they call him SATAN!
Fall seven times, stand up eight.
- Japanese proverb
CHECK OUT PREGGO/POST PARTUM WORKOUTS AT http://WWW.CROSSFITMOM.COM

Posted: 02 May 2006 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Joined  2004-07-08

Gunner I hope Bin Laden don’t read this thread. Lock up your puppies.

Signature 

4 of 12