Pullups and rhabdo
Posted: 02 August 2012 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  856
Joined  2011-07-07

Just curious . . . With the disclaimer posted about the (50) jumping pullups in the filthy fifty, what makes a wod like July 29th (150 pullups) ok to do? I totally skipped that workout because it seemed to me to be blatant overload, begging for either a bout of rhabdo, some sort of muscle or tendon injury, or an absurd level of soreness putting you out of commission for a few days. Am I missing something?

Signature 

M / 30 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2014 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 05 August 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2009-05-18

It is the eccentric or negative movement that is the problem.  Resisting during lowering in the jumping pullup is a leading cause of rhabdo.  Jumping pullups are really are cardio movement.  A little jump with the legs, a little pull with the arms….no resisting the lowering back to the ground.  Not a good pullup substitute.

150 pullups can be a lot or little - depends where you are in your fitness.  I would generally say to scale the pullups so they do not become a slog.  Do the WOD but select some number of pullups that you can do that just pushes you beyond the comfort zone but does not wreck you.

Signature 

Chris Lanfear
M/42/6’/200ish

Posted: 05 August 2012 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  887
Joined  2010-08-25
dannyrod - 02 August 2012 09:15 PM

Just curious . . . With the disclaimer posted about the (50) jumping pullups in the filthy fifty, what makes a wod like July 29th (150 pullups) ok to do? I totally skipped that workout because it seemed to me to be blatant overload, begging for either a bout of rhabdo, some sort of muscle or tendon injury, or an absurd level of soreness putting you out of commission for a few days. Am I missing something?

Putting aside the rhabdo issue being relating to the negative portion of jumping pull ups, I think this is a valid point - I ended up self-scaling to 7 rounds. I guess if you know you’re going to overload yourself you need to scale down rather than skipping.

Signature 

M/47/80kg

Posted: 06 August 2012 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2011-07-07

Understood about the rhabdo issue, thanks for point that out.

I passed on this particular workout that day but subbed it with one of the previous WODs.

Signature 

2014 Goals

Posted: 06 August 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9759
Joined  2007-01-08
dannyrod - 02 August 2012 09:15 PM

It isn’t one of my favourite WODs.
If you do jumping pull-ups completely as prescribed, jump up, fall back with no resistance whatsoever to the fall, I guess jumping pull-ups are OK for most people.
The problem we see is two-fold:
1. People consciously or unconsciously resist the fall, setting themselves up for rhabdo.
2. People use jumping pull-ups as a sub/progression for pull-ups in a WOD and done as prescribed, they do nothing to develop a pull-up.

FYI, for an elite CrossFitter, 150 kipping pull-ups is a metcon.
It’s still a lot of pull-ups and they’ll feel it the next day, but they’ll hit 50-60 before breaking.

The rest of us need to scale.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2011-07-07
Metric - 06 August 2012 07:52 PM

The rest of us need to scale.

hahaha, couldn’t have put it better myself! Definitely not an elite crossfitter. Thanks for the info all!

Signature 

2014 Goals