Neck and shoulder pain
Posted: 21 October 2012 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13266
Joined  2007-01-30

Have been having some tightness in my traps, but no big deal.

Then last week I finished a wod:

1000 m row
50 du
50 thrusters with 45lb bar
50 du
1000m row.

Not at a big deal. 

Later that night however, my shoulder started hurting, a deep dull ache, as well as across my upper traps and shoulder blade. 

And when I mean ache I mean: I can’t sleep because of it. 

So, go to the doc (primary care)

He rolls my arms through the usual stuff, declares I don’t have a rotator cuff tear or anything (nice to know) and I had no pain in any of those diagnostic movements, arm overhead, internal external rotation, none of them showed anything. 

He gave me vicodin (yay!) and that helps the pain, but seriously, this isn’t going away.

So, I have no way to recreate the pain. 
I don’t recall having any pops or anything sudden.  I mean, thrusters are thrusters, but my shoulders don’t hurt in any movement..

My theory is that my sore traps are a result of or response to bad head/neck position and that’s causing nerve pain down the arm.

Oh, and now I’ve got some surface numbness in the thumb.

Next step is to the orthopedist (monday).

I suspect pinched nerve at the easy level and possibly cervical disc issues at the bad end. 

But in the mean time, has anyone had anything like this?  Ideas?

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 21 October 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2012-09-09

If you can, i would do some swimming everyday, and try to avoid to do it so hard that your shoulder and traps hurt.
Also, do light stretching everyday.
I know a real good doctor here but it is a bit to far for you to travel up and down.
Also about the pain killer, pain is a very natural thing, you have to embrace it dont fight it, if your body is not 100%, pain is the way to communicate with you so you will avoid certain excersises, if you use a pain killer your body can not warn you if you go to far so i would use it only if you can not sleep of it (while you sleep you heal) and not 24/7.
Hope this helps wink
I hope it wil heal fast.
b.t.w. you can still train your legs like hell bigsmile

Signature 

M/56y/1.80m/100kg.
If you want to become number one, train like you are number two.

Posted: 21 October 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23

So he put you through all the diagnostic stuff, you doing the work or him doing the work, actively or passively getting your arm into positions?
My husband had a very large bone spur taken out recently that basically started out as some pain when he went overhead, thrusters, presses, etc. He could still do wall ball and could put his arm overhead and full ROM without weight on it, and it didn’t bother him. The othopedist initally gave him a shot of cortizone and when that helped but he said if the pain came back it was probaly a bone spur. So he got an MRI that it became appearent that was the problem. He also got some labral tears fixed when the surgeon went looking that hadn’t been appearent on the MRI, that was what had made TtB painful for awhile.
  As he said if he hadn’t wanted to workout, lift weight etc, was still just a biker or runner it wouldn’t have been a problem.

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 22 October 2012 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
Robert - 21 October 2012 10:43 AM

If you can, i would do some swimming everyday, and try to avoid to do it so hard that your shoulder and traps hurt.
Also, do light stretching everyday.
I know a real good doctor here but it is a bit to far for you to travel up and down.
Also about the pain killer, pain is a very natural thing, you have to embrace it dont fight it, if your body is not 100%, pain is the way to communicate with you so you will avoid certain excersises, if you use a pain killer your body can not warn you if you go to far so i would use it only if you can not sleep of it (while you sleep you heal) and not 24/7.
Hope this helps wink
I hope it wil heal fast.
b.t.w. you can still train your legs like hell bigsmile

Yeah, the pain is enough to be distracting, in that I can’t do my regular work when it’s aching.  And sleep is out of the question.  I’m not a fan of pain killers in general, but am making an exception this time…

And yes, lower body stuff only till we get this figured out…

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 22 October 2012 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
Magdawg2020 - 21 October 2012 12:04 PM

So he put you through all the diagnostic stuff, you doing the work or him doing the work, actively or passively getting your arm into positions?

Me doing the work.  And I tested myself a bit before I went in.  It hurts sitting still.  There’s a couple things that aggravate it (leaning back on it, imagine the non weight bearing arm in a turkish get up), but I didn’t have any pain in shoulder press, push press, etc.  In fact, shoulders have been feeling pretty darn good all things considered. 

Magdawg2020 - 21 October 2012 12:04 PM

My husband had a very large bone spur taken out recently that basically started out as some pain when he went overhead, thrusters, presses, etc. He could still do wall ball and could put his arm overhead and full ROM without weight on it, and it didn’t bother him. The othopedist initally gave him a shot of cortizone and when that helped but he said if the pain came back it was probaly a bone spur. So he got an MRI that it became appearent that was the problem. He also got some labral tears fixed when the surgeon went looking that hadn’t been appearent on the MRI, that was what had made TtB painful for awhile.
  As he said if he hadn’t wanted to workout, lift weight etc, was still just a biker or runner it wouldn’t have been a problem.

Well, I’ll get an appt this week and see if I can get some clarity on this.  I hope it’s something where the chiro can get it back into place, but I don’t know if that’s realistic.

TP

Signature 

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 22 October 2012 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  824
Joined  2010-08-12

I’m sure you’re probably doing this already but ice before bed. At least 2 times for about 10-15 minutes each. Sleep on your good side and hug a pillow with the bad arm. Tends to help alleviate the pain at night, at least for a bit anyway. I was on vicodin at first too, didn’t help the pain much at all but it did make everything else just A OK. wink

Signature 

F/42/137/5’4
CF 8/12/10

http://iheartbaconandcrossfit.blogspot.com/

Posted: 22 October 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14079
Joined  2004-06-18

I would use the vicadin before I worked out.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 22 October 2012 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-01-30
Garddawg - 22 October 2012 10:32 AM

I would use the vicadin before I worked out.

Waaaay ahead of you there, GD…

Signature 

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

Posted: 22 October 2012 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14079
Joined  2004-06-18

Thought I was being helpful.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 01 June 2013 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-05-24

Such problems are very common among people of all the age. Many a times we come across such pain. One can get instant relief of it by doing exercise. There are various neck movements which get help you to get rid of it.

Signature 

grow longer eyelashes