Knee injury / New to Crossfit
Posted: 22 October 2012 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-10-22

Greetings all,

My fiance and I want to start doing Crossfit as a way to work out together, but both of us have some injuries we need to work on first. I have a shoulder injury from a “botched” bench press 2 years back, which I am currently working using the circuits on the diesel crew website that frosty posted about. Today was my first day, but so far so good.

My fiance has a knee injury from running. She says that it only really hurts when shes either running or working out, and that all of the pain is just below the patella. If she stops working out or running for a few days, then the pain completely goes away. Are there any good knee strengthening/rehab exercise routines anyone knows of that she could try out? Also, at what point is it usually okay to start mixing in WODs (at buttercup level) when doing a rehab routine?

Any help/tips are greatly appreciated!

Posted: 22 October 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3872
Joined  2009-03-01

Any idea what’s actually wrong with her knee? I.e. has she seen an orthopedist or trainer about it?

The foot drills article on 70sbig has helped me quite a bit, but it probably depends what’s causing the pain in the first place. 

You can find that article here: http://70sbig.com/blog/2011/12/foot-drills/

Signature 

M/42/210#
Crossfit Birthday: 2/12/2009
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frosty996
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

Posted: 24 October 2012 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-10-22

Hey frosty, thank you for your response!

Unfortunately my fiance has not yet been to an orthopedist or trainer about. I’ve recommended that she go several times, but I think it’s one of those things where she figures that all she has to do to make the pain go away is stop working out or running for a few days and then its life as normal again, so it hasn’t been a priority. Shes also concerned because she saw everything I went through with my shoulder after I injured it. I saw 2 doctors and 2 physical therapists, and am still in pretty much the same shape as I was before. This is partially my fault because I wasn’t vigilant about the physical therapy, but I was also misdiagnosed the first time around; I think the first doctor made an incorrect “assumption” after I told him how I sustained the injury. Anyway that’s all in the past now, but it did take a long time to figure things out. Bottom line is, do the d*** rehab exercises.

I did forward her the link for the foot drills, and she said she will give them a try tonight. Hopefully I can also convince her to get in to see an orthopedist as well; we are both pretty excited to start trying out Crossfit.

Posted: 24 October 2012 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3872
Joined  2009-03-01

Just remember that those foot drills and the shoulder pre-hab both take time to work.  Neither is a quick fix.

Signature 

M/42/210#
Crossfit Birthday: 2/12/2009
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frosty996
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

‹‹ Neck and shoulder pain      No Inhaler! ››