Cauliflower Rice
Posted: 01 November 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  540
Joined  2010-04-10

Made a batch of Cauliflower rice tonight…Awesome!!!! Not sure why Ive just heard abouut this stuff, who knows where Ive been?

Signature 

M/36/5’10/150
CFDOB 100215

Posted: 01 November 2012 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  799
Joined  2012-07-04

Is it like zucchini spaghetti?

How is it made?

Signature 

M 31/1.79 m/72 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 02 November 2012 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9818
Joined  2007-01-08
swedfalcon - 01 November 2012 11:18 PM

Is it like zucchini spaghetti?

How is it made?

A couple of recipes (I just googled “cauliflower rice”):
http://www.delightedmomma.com/2012/03/cauliflower-rice.html
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/caulirice.htm (this one has a link to a video in it http://video.about.com/lowcarbdiets/Low-Carb-Cauliflower-Rice.htm)

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 02 November 2012 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Boxer
Joined  2010-04-10

As far as texture is pretty much like rice, or at least what I remember rice to be.  I prepared it by taking 1/2 a head of cauliflower and grated it on the large side of the grater.  After that I sauteed it in a little olive oil, 5-6 min or so.  I’ve seen other ways of making it, boiling it, microwave, etc. but I thought that may be a little mushy.

There was a good CF Journal video posted Monday that got me thinking about it. “Prepping for the Week” I believe was the title.

Like Metric noted, there are plenty of recipes out there that can be found using Google.

Signature 

M/36/5’10/150
CFDOB 100215

Posted: 02 November 2012 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  799
Joined  2012-07-04

Sounds nice. I sometimes eat a lot of it raw and chopped, but this sounds fun. Another nice way to eat it is to boil it in one piecie (it shouldn’t get too soft though) and pour melted butter over it (I guess you could have oil instead of the butter if you donät eat dairy).

Signature 

M 31/1.79 m/72 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 02 November 2012 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20
Skiff - 02 November 2012 05:23 AM

There was a good CF Journal video posted Monday that got me thinking about it. “Prepping for the Week” I believe was the title.

I watched those as well. While some good ideas in there, don’t cook like he does. Cross contamination in that video/kitchen is scary. He’s touching raw chicken and then grabbing his spice bottles. YUCK! I hope he wipes down EVERY surface of that kitchen daily.

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 02 November 2012 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Boxer
Joined  2010-04-10
smithma7 - 02 November 2012 06:19 AM
Skiff - 02 November 2012 05:23 AM

I watched those as well. While some good ideas in there, don’t cook like he does. Cross contamination in that video/kitchen is scary. He’s touching raw chicken and then grabbing his spice bottles. YUCK! I hope he wipes down EVERY surface of that kitchen daily.

Yeah really!!! I noticed that too!!

Signature 

M/36/5’10/150
CFDOB 100215

Posted: 20 November 2012 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9818
Joined  2007-01-08

I tried this last night and am eating leftovers now.

It’s lovely, but I’ve no idea how people can claim that they couldn’t tell the difference from rice.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 20 November 2012 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  411
Joined  2012-07-24

I’ve used this as a sub for Spanish rice in my stuffed bell peppers it’s awesome! I just brown extra lean ground turkey, season with chili, onion and garlic powder. Mix in my cauliflower rice, onions, hubby like mozzarella cheese in there too but if ur going for paleo then I leave it out. Steam some bell peppers then stuff them, put them I the oven for about 8 mins. It’s pretty darn good, simple and cheap.

Signature 

CF DOB: 02/01/2012

- nothing is better then killing a WOD at 5am

Posted: 20 November 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  13274
Joined  2007-01-30
Metric - 20 November 2012 05:26 PM

It’s lovely, but I’ve no idea how people can claim that they couldn’t tell the difference from rice.

Hmm, I’m not sure about that either.  I suppose if you cover your rice with something, and do the same with the cauliflower, yeah, but it’s a “great sub” type thing.

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 18 December 2012 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-12-18

Never heard of it either, but I do love cauliflower.  Gonna try it!

Posted: 25 September 2013 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-09-25

Cauliflower makes a pretty good mashed potato substitute as well.