New Year’s “Resolutions”
Posted: 31 December 2012 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  856
Joined  2011-07-07

I don’t particularly care for new year’s resolutions, as it usually conjures up images of short-lived, half-hearted attempts at bettering one’s self one way or another.

However! I do believe dedicated, disciplined, consistent effort with specific tangible goals in mind is admirable and effective. With that said, do any of you have anything in mind for the new year? Better nutrition? More focused training? Achieving certain poundages on lifts or times in benchmarks? If not, why not map a few goals out?

The past six months training for me have been a bit all over the map. There’s been several not-so-serious, but plenty aggravating, injuries including back spasms, pinched nerves in the neck, and stress fracture in the foot to name a few.

With that said, I think I bite off more than I can chew with WODs or lifts at times, I guess hoping to push myself so I can progress and adapt faster, but I think my efforts are counterproductive at times. Therefore, one of my resolutions is to stick to pack scaling, regardless of how much I want to or think I can go over it, so I can focus on form, consistency, and higher metabolic effect instead of ego or a false sense of doing a “better workout.” Hoping to see more consistent progress and less side lining because of it, we shall see!

I’ll also be starting CFSB lite to get my lift #‘s up.

How about you? What’s the plan? Thank you all for posting your wods and dialoguing about this wonderfully challenging and life enhancing sport of crossfit, it’s inspiring and motivating and fun seeing everyone progress, and I’m extremely grateful for this forum and the people / coaches on it.

Signature 

M / 30 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2014 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 31 December 2012 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  411
Joined  2012-07-24

Great thread dannyrod, I to truly hate half assed New Years resolutions, that ppl joke about not even lasting a week.

I believe this year is going to be sticking with consistent program to tackle my major goat ” the pull up”. I find myself avoiding this like the plague and it is my big its weakness. Once this is conquered I will let myself work on the ” funner” goals such as one handed handstands and such. I find that I am way over the bored with my main goals, finding ways to pay less attention to what I’m weakest in. Ie pull up. So let the challenge beginn

Signature 

CF DOB: 02/01/2012

- nothing is better then killing a WOD at 5am

Posted: 01 January 2013 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2012-12-31

Be simply BETTER DIET!

Signature 

40M/175/5’9
CFDB 8/01/2012

Posted: 01 January 2013 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2012-09-09

I do my best to make it the best year ever!!
And i wish everybody to achieve their goals.

Signature 

M/56y/1.80m/100kg.
If you want to become number one, train like you are number two.

Posted: 01 January 2013 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  757
Joined  2012-07-04

I set a vision and targets instead of giving resolutions. The vision for this year is to get strong and while maintaining conditioning.

My targets are mostly what I want to be able to lift:
120 kg deadlift
110 kg back squat
80 kg power clean
80 kg bench press
60 kg press
Deadhang pull-ups EMOM 2 fo a total of 20 min
At least 200 WOD:s

The plan for this is to continue pursuing CSFB lite and GD:s pull-up number program on a 2-1-3-1 weekly schedule, adding mainsite WOD:s at puppy level, with long ones/heroes only on day two of the first cycle. Later this year I will slowly start to add more long walks in preparation of the Nijmegen march in 2014. The exact plan for that will be decided later.

A bonus goal would be to be able to kick up to a handstand.

Signature 

M 31/1.79 m/72 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 01 January 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2011-07-07
Mehinalani - 31 December 2012 11:19 PM

Great thread dannyrod, I to truly hate half assed New Years resolutions, that ppl joke about not even lasting a week.

I believe this year is going to be sticking with consistent program to tackle my major goat ” the pull up”. I find myself avoiding this like the plague and it is my big its weakness. Once this is conquered I will let myself work on the ” funner” goals such as one handed handstands and such. I find that I am way over the bored with my main goals, finding ways to pay less attention to what I’m weakest in. Ie pull up. So let the challenge beginn

Awesome! I’m sure you’ll be knocking them out in no time, seems like you have a really good box that you go to…

swedfalcon - 01 January 2013 05:00 AM

I set a vision and targets instead of giving resolutions. The vision for this year is to get strong and while maintaining conditioning.

My targets are mostly what I want to be able to lift:
120 kg deadlift
110 kg back squat
80 kg power clean
80 kg bench press
60 kg press
Deadhang pull-ups EMOM 2 fo a total of 20 min
At least 200 WOD:s

The plan for this is to continue pursuing CSFB lite and GD:s pull-up number program on a 2-1-3-1 weekly schedule, adding mainsite WOD:s at puppy level, with long ones/heroes only on day two of the first cycle. Later this year I will slowly start to add more long walks in preparation of the Nijmegen march in 2014. The exact plan for that will be decided later.

A bonus goal would be to be able to kick up to a handstand.

Will be looking forward to seeing how CFSB lite goes for you as well!

Signature 

2014 Goals

Posted: 01 January 2013 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  916
Joined  2009-04-05

I don’t do New Year’s Resolutions.  For me it is typically a time where I say, “man I really got off track during the holidays…well time to get back at it.”

Signature 

M/33/5’11”/245#

Posted: 01 January 2013 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2012-07-18
dannyrod - 31 December 2012 12:58 PM

The past six months training for me have been a bit all over the map. There’s been several not-so-serious, but plenty aggravating, injuries including back spasms, pinched nerves in the neck, and stress fracture in the foot to name a few.

With that said, I think I bite off more than I can chew with WODs or lifts at times, I guess hoping to push myself so I can progress and adapt faster, but I think my efforts are counterproductive at times. Therefore, one of my resolutions is to stick to pack scaling, regardless of how much I want to or think I can go over it, so I can focus on form, consistency, and higher metabolic effect instead of ego or a false sense of doing a “better workout.” Hoping to see more consistent progress and less side lining because of it, we shall see!

I like this i have rescently done this exact same thing due to almost the same injuries, the day im absolutely blowing wods out the water at pack ill move to porch but i defininately scaled up way to fast in a short ammount of time. great goal buddy ill be joining you on this.

Signature 

Started Crosfit early July2012
Goal before Feb 18th = 1 Muscle Up
Goal before Feb 18th = 175lbs

M/25yo/69”/200

“Criminal perfer unarmed civilians, Dictators perfer unarmed citizens”

Posted: 02 January 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2011-07-07
jdcox - 01 January 2013 09:38 PM
dannyrod - 31 December 2012 12:58 PM

I like this i have rescently done this exact same thing due to almost the same injuries, the day im absolutely blowing wods out the water at pack ill move to porch but i defininately scaled up way to fast in a short ammount of time. great goal buddy ill be joining you on this.

Good to hear my friend! Will be looking forward to seeing your times to keep me motivated and moving.

Signature 

2014 Goals

Posted: 03 January 2013 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1036
Joined  2011-03-07

Just one resolution for 2013, and that is to make sure I’m a gorilla and not a giraffe.

The first step is the on-ramp starting January 7.

Signature 

CFDB november 2010. “Resurrected” January 7 2013
On ramp at: http://crossfitvastkusten.se/
Now back to work out on my own.
“Compete against others and you become bitter. Compete against your self and you become better”
M 46/218/6,2