Posted: 08 January 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2012-02-26

First set of warm-up at 135:

Third set of warm-up at 185:

Work set at 260:

Between each set I tried to clean up what I thought were problems with my form, such as trying to keep a better “gorilla chest”.  I recorded every set, but skipped some of my warm-up sets, including two singles.

Well, I can’t figure out how to embed the videos you’ll just have to follow the links.

Signature 

M/29/6’/165
Crossfit Birthday 3/6/12
Starting weight 145

Posted: 09 January 2013 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  876
Joined  2010-08-25

Others more qualified to comment but your back is very rounded even on the lighter sets - not good for the back. Compare yourself to the guy in the background on the 260lb set
You might have to lighten up the loads and re-learn to fix the technique - hard for the ego to take but I’m going through the same thing with my squats now.

Signature 

M/47/80kg

Posted: 09 January 2013 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1036
Joined  2011-03-07

Hi!

From a collegue struggling w the DL (no coach!)

- U start w. the hips, which means that ur lumbar curve goes out the window.  Try to put tension on the bar before u start the lift. Then pull ur shoulders back, chest up, head neutral (think gorilla). Shoulders and hips start at the same time.

Hard to see where ur feets are under the bar, but they should be well under the bar. I get my shins (?) blooded when DL.

Well, take this as what I see, but wait for a coach to comment! Good luck on the DL, m8!
/Patrik

Signature 

CFDB november 2010. “Resurrected” January 7 2013
On ramp at: http://crossfitvastkusten.se/
Now back to work out on my own.
“Compete against others and you become bitter. Compete against your self and you become better”
M 46/218/6,2

Posted: 09 January 2013 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-02-26

Unfortunately I had a feeling this was some of what I would get in response. Now I just need to know how to fix it.

Signature 

M/29/6’/165
Crossfit Birthday 3/6/12
Starting weight 145

Posted: 09 January 2013 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1036
Joined  2011-03-07

Well, it´s part of beeing a “garage-crossfiter”, we don´t have anyone to help us correct our form. Thankfully BrandX is here to help us out.
I have experience w the squat, thought I had a near bw squat, but filmed my self and saw that what I had was a bw dip-squat. Had to go back to 40 kg and learn it all from start (never posted that film here, to ashamed of it red face )
/Patrik

Signature 

CFDB november 2010. “Resurrected” January 7 2013
On ramp at: http://crossfitvastkusten.se/
Now back to work out on my own.
“Compete against others and you become bitter. Compete against your self and you become better”
M 46/218/6,2

Posted: 09 January 2013 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  876
Joined  2010-08-25

Starting Strength helped me understand the body mechanics - you may want to get hold of a copy.
There’s plenty of deadlift movies and comments in this area of the forum so you could prob get a lot from looking over those.
With my ‘big’ lifts I guess the first bit of advice I’m looking for is “Am I ok to keep going as is and tweak/improve my technique” or “Would I be better to wind it right back to an empty bar and re-learn” - maybe one of the trainers could comment and advise.
On a more positive note if you can do 260 with a rounded back I cant see any reason why it should take very long to improve your technique and lift the same or more with better lumbar curve (my squat issues are limted by my mobility and improvement is going to be long and slow !!)

Signature 

M/47/80kg

Posted: 25 January 2013 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-01-25

Hy, you are weak in posterior chain so you should need more this type of exercises.
Nice weights btw.

Posted: 22 February 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-02-26

I think I’m getting better.  I see in some places where people will deadlift with their backs arched (butt in the air, not back in the air) but feel like I am hyper-extending myself to get in that position.

Signature 

M/29/6’/165
Crossfit Birthday 3/6/12
Starting weight 145

Posted: 22 February 2013 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  259
Joined  2010-05-20

On your first pull, it’s very evident: your lower back is bulging out. You’re not keeping that angry gorilla posture. I’m not sure what the cue is to maintain it, but I really try to concentrate on keeping that gorilla posture (where you were before you started the pull) and moving shoulders and hips together in the beginning. Maybe focus on really keeping your chest up high as you start to lift? As I said, I don’t know the right cue, but hopefully others in the know will chime in. I also wonder if sitting your butt even lower, with shins vertical, will help with the more vertical chest before the pull. Then just maintain that posture until it’s time for the hips to move towards being fully open.

Coaches?

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 22 February 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1680
Joined  2008-02-14

My non-coach advice would be, on your very first pull, to set your feet exactly where you want them.  Stand up straight, take a strong breath and then hold it while you go down and grab the bar.  Keep your abdominal cavity fully tight - don’t wait to take a breath right before you pull.  Don’t let your breath out until you are standing up with the bar.  Your 2nd and 3rd pulls are better because you are lowering the bar with a good breath and are able to hold better lumbar form.

If a coach contradicts my input, listen to them.

Posted: 23 February 2013 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2012-09-09

If you do all your lifts like the third pull on your last vid your okay, my two cents wink

Signature 

M/56y/1.80m/100kg.
If you want to become number one, train like you are number two.

Posted: 23 February 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9739
Joined  2007-01-08
jchcrawk - 22 February 2013 12:59 PM

I think I’m getting better.  I see in some places where people will deadlift with their backs arched (butt in the air, not back in the air) but feel like I am hyper-extending myself to get in that position.

As Robert said, 3rd lift was the best.

You need to get your neck in line with your spine, so drop your head so you’re looking at the floor. If you take a look at your head as you start, then rotate the picture so that your back is vertical, your face is looking almost directly up at the ceiling. Moving load with your neck in that position is not good.
Pull your chin in and get your neck straighter and let your eyes look wherever your face is pointing when you do that for a start.

When you go to start your first lift, initiate the pull with your shoulders.
Hear that “clink” on your first rep? That’s the bar taking the strain and coming off the bearings and liners of the plates to hit the top of both.
Right now you’re doing that with your hips and it changes your back angle and makes your mid back round. Lead with your shoulders, just until you hear that “clink” and you’ll create tension in your body while keeping the angle of your back the same.
Then lift evenly with shoulders and hips.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 28 May 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-02-26

I think I finally got it.  Watched some videos on the journal a couple weeks ago, particularly “The Deadlifter and the Doctor” (I think that was the name of it) and it made a huge difference.  Please ignore the music in the background, the people that select the music at my globo gym have terrible taste.

Signature 

M/29/6’/165
Crossfit Birthday 3/6/12
Starting weight 145

Posted: 26 July 2013 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2013-07-01

your second video is alot better, but ...... I had the same problem when I started deadlifting ,heres how i fixed. When your standing over the bar grap it from a bent over postion legs straight. Then before you pull drop your but by bending your knees till your buts in a squat (a—to grass) spot.Keep your back as straight as possible, it will bend some . Holding the bar will keep you from tipping over. Pull with legs but rock back on your heels and pull that way. Like if you were to let go youd fly backwards on to your but. All the drive should come from your legs and not your back. Good practice for this is sumo deadlifting. This is not a good way to pull for high reps. use sumo for high reps. This pull got me 500lb at my last powerlifting meet in april.

Signature 

m\37\5’11\253lbs
Don Vagi….
Crossfit=Alot harder than I ever thought it would be
Squat-475gear 425raw after 21 reps 135
bench-425gear 305raw
deadlift-500gear 425raw after 21 reps 115
cp-225 after 21 reps 115:( if Im lucky
Never quit, even if it takes all night