Looking for some guidance on CFSB once you hit a failing point
Posted: 17 January 2013 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-12-04

I would like to start and say I am not a beginner, but probably intermediate.
My wife and I are both CFL1 and both coach (me non profit for LEOs, and her a few private clients) and have been doing CF for a couple of years (in gyms with coaches and at home)

We are getting ready to start the 3rd week of CFSB and both have been seeing gains in our Squat, Deadlift, and front squat using 3 rounds of 5 reps. 
We have been scaling the WODS from the main site or using past ones to meet the time suggestions following the heavy lifts and have been doing really well there.

Where are problem seems to be is our Strict Press.
We started the cycle with about 80 of our 5 rep max and have been working our way up. 
Today we both hit our old 3 rep max on a 5 rep lift, then tried to add 5lbs and we both failed at rep 4 of the third set.

So, should we try again in week 3 for the 3 rounds of 5 rep max with the same weight we used this week, or change just the strict press to 5 rounds of 3 and start see-sawing the weight up from there?

We are also both reading Starting Strength and trying to use some of the lifting techniques in there as well and really be critical of our lifts. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Steve

Posted: 18 January 2013 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  846
Joined  2010-05-25

Working sets of 3 is part of the program. But you could also look into fractional plates. Sometimes the 5lb jump is too much and the fractional plates allow progress in smaller increments.

Signature 

M/42/6’3.5/207
Current#: 206

CF DOB 05/25/10

Posted: 18 January 2013 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2012-05-16

From GD..

Should you come to a point where you fail to be able to add 5 pounds or your third rep is agonizingly slow or your form breaks badly the next week begin working your 5’s.  Start at about 60-65% of your one rep.  Every week add 5 pounds when you get with 5-10 pounds of your triple, switch back and push the 3’s up until your ready to test your one rep again.

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 18 January 2013 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3268
Joined  2006-02-17
S280 - 17 January 2013 01:35 PM

My wife and I are both CFL1 and both coach (me non profit for LEOs, and her a few private clients) and have been doing CF for a couple of years (in gyms with coaches and at home)

We are getting ready to start the 3rd week of CFSB and both have been seeing gains in our Squat, Deadlift, and front squat using 3 rounds of 5 reps. 
We have been scaling the WODS from the main site or using past ones to meet the time suggestions following the heavy lifts and have been doing really well there.

We started the cycle with about 80 of our 5 rep max and have been working our way up. 
Today we both hit our old 3 rep max on a 5 rep lift, then tried to add 5lbs and we both failed at rep 4 of the third set.

So, should we try again in week 3 for the 3 rounds of 5 rep max with the same weight we used this week, or change just the strict press to 5 rounds of 3 and start see-sawing the weight up from there?

We are also both reading Starting Strength and trying to use some of the lifting techniques in there as well and really be critical of our lifts. 

Steve

Another thing.  Although the original strong medicine article in the CFJ talks about three sets of 5 or 3 Garddawg has always been pretty clear that we are looking for a single set of 3 or 5 as our money set.  Throw a single high rep set (the old multi set approach was found to not be ideal) in and that should be plenty of stimulus for adaptation.  Changing to a single set of 3 or 5 may buy you a little extra breathing room.  However, it will be necessary at some stage to acquire some fractional plates to maintain forward progress.

Cheers, kempie

PS this single set approach applies to all lifts

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 18 January 2013 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  13178
Joined  2007-01-30

PS,

Real fractional plates are expensive. 

Chain from Home Depot or Lowes is not.  For about 10 bucks, if that, you can have some 1 and 2 lb bits you can hang off the end of your bars.  I used some zip ties to kind of hold them on, but whatever works.

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 18 January 2013 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-12-04

Thanks to all.  I will look into the chain at either Lowe’s or Home Depot.  I finally had time to read through the multiple posts on CFSB and realized that I was only suppose to be hitting the one set of PR, not two in a workout…....So we will adjust fire on the Press and start working threes while keeping the others at 5 now.

Again much appreciated.
Steve

Posted: 18 January 2013 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  827
Joined  2011-07-07
kempie - 18 January 2013 07:09 AM
S280 - 17 January 2013 01:35 PM

Steve

Another thing.  Although the original strong medicine article in the CFJ talks about three sets of 5 or 3 Garddawg has always been pretty clear that we are looking for a single set of 3 or 5 as our money set.  Throw a single high rep set (the old multi set approach was found to not be ideal) in and that should be plenty of stimulus for adaptation.  Changing to a single set of 3 or 5 may buy you a little extra breathing room.  However, it will be necessary at some stage to acquire some fractional plates to maintain forward progress.

Cheers, kempie

PS this single set approach applies to all lifts

How often should the high rep set be thrown in on each lift, kempie? And is that in lieu of the sets of 3 or 5 for that day? This was one thing I didn’t see addressed directly in the CFSB article that I was curious about. Thanks for the help!

Signature 

M / 29 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2013 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 18 January 2013 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3268
Joined  2006-02-17

I don’t have the article to hand but the way I ran version 1.0 was as follows

Monday dead lift - heavy 3 or 5 then a high rep set
Tuesday metcon
Wednesday rest day
Thursday front squat 3 or 5 then high rep back squat
Friday press heavy 3 or 5 then high rep press set
Saturday metcon
Sunday rest

Apart from a week or two I only ever did a single high rep set.  Generally I would set a rep count after which I would increment the load.  This would generally result in less reps the first time or two I used that load before I was able to get to my target number.

Cheers, kempie

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground