Starting Paleo like diet.
Posted: 01 February 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2012-07-17

I would very much like the eating lifestyle of Paleo, but I really love milk, and yogurt and I understand Paleo cuts out Dairy products. I wouldn’t mind cutting out all Wheat products, that I can live with, but I don’t think I could live without drinking Milk. My understanding of the Paleo is Seeds, Nuts(no peanuts, I think), Berries(blue/black/rasp/straw), Veggies, some Fruit, and Lean Meats/Fish. Would be it too much cheating if I were to still stick with a 2-3 small glasses a milk a day? I’m pretty new to paleo still, but very much would like to undergo this eating lifestyle for overall healthiness, and fitness.

Signature 

Height: 6’2”
Weight: 195.4

Crossfit Birth: July, 2012
New PR DL: 325
New PR Clean: 185
Split Jerk: 165
Snatch: 155
New PR Squat: 295
8min miles

Posted: 01 February 2013 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9759
Joined  2007-01-08
Fr1dg3 - 01 February 2013 12:51 PM

I would very much like the eating lifestyle of Paleo, but I really love milk, and yogurt and I understand Paleo cuts out Dairy products. I wouldn’t mind cutting out all Wheat products, that I can live with, but I don’t think I could live without drinking Milk. My understanding of the Paleo is Seeds, Nuts(no peanuts, I think), Berries(blue/black/rasp/straw), Veggies, some Fruit, and Lean Meats/Fish. Would be it too much cheating if I were to still stick with a 2-3 small glasses a milk a day? I’m pretty new to paleo still, but very much would like to undergo this eating lifestyle for overall healthiness, and fitness.

Maybe, it depends on your reaction to the departure from strict Paleo, but as you haven’t been eating Paleo until now it’s pretty irrelevant.

Look at Mark Sisson’s Primal diet, that allows some dairy.

I’m afraid the deal making is hard to handle, “I want to eat Paleo except for the bits I don’t want to”.
Do Paleo or don’t. Change it if you want to. Eat Paleo + marshmallows and Coca Cola if you like, no skin off my nose unless you assume that the results you achieved will apply to others and start preaching that version.
You’re an experiment with a sample size of 1. Find out what works for you.

Someone can come along and post something more caring.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 01 February 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14
Fr1dg3 - 01 February 2013 12:51 PM

Personally I think you’re fine.  Enjoy dairy.  When, if ever, it becomes a problem, cut back or eliminate.

Posted: 02 February 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9759
Joined  2007-01-08

Primal take on dairy.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 06 February 2013 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2012-07-17

Thanks for the replies, and advice. Always nice to hear others knowledge, and opinions. Metric/canis_nerdus.

Just recently I switched to organic, non harmonized almond milk and going to see how this works.

Signature 

Height: 6’2”
Weight: 195.4

Crossfit Birth: July, 2012
New PR DL: 325
New PR Clean: 185
Split Jerk: 165
Snatch: 155
New PR Squat: 295
8min miles

Posted: 14 April 2013 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-04-14

dairy is good, best thing you can ingest if your were starving to death.  Never-mind, that.  You approach is good, give it a month see if it works.  Chocolate milk is a super food when it comes to post workout, great balance of Protein to Carbs, I hate the taste, but still drink it.  Plus vitamin D, calcium etc etc.  So what you are doing is super, yogurt is great too, good stuff for your gut.  And cottage cheese, casein protein is tops for night time protein levels, helps stop body from eating your gains.