Fry in butter or oil? Add to fat blocks?
Posted: 24 February 2013 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2009-07-26

A quick question.

I just wonder what is best, fry in oil or butter and if I should add this butter/oil to total fatblocks for that meal?

Signature 

SWEDEN
Crossfitting on and off since June 2009
———————————————————
“Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.”

“At the end, when your legs are tired and your arms are giving out, get angry! Get angry that you are tired. Then hit it harder.”

Posted: 25 February 2013 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13255
Joined  2007-01-30

If you’re doing zone blocks, yes it counts. As for butter or oil, th zone typically limits portions though I would chooses the better fats to cook with, with olive oil being near the top of the list. 

TP

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 26 February 2013 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2009-07-26

Yes I do Zone blocks.

I just asked because many recipes say like “Sauté onions, mushrooms in olive oil” and in the recipe it is 1 cup onions and 3 cups mushrooms and 1/3 tsp (=1,6ml) olive oil, that amount of oil is barely enough to make the pan wet :D

Signature 

SWEDEN
Crossfitting on and off since June 2009
———————————————————
“Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.”

“At the end, when your legs are tired and your arms are giving out, get angry! Get angry that you are tired. Then hit it harder.”

Posted: 26 February 2013 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

I’m not sure how someone is supposed to suate the onions and mushrooms in only 1/3 tsp of olive oil, but that’s not germane.

The 1/3 tsp of olive oil is 1 block of fat.  So although it is not much in volume it is 1 block of fat and if you’re Zoning then you need to count it.

Posted: 14 May 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-05-14

I’d suggest an oil such as olive oil for cooking: it’s one of the healthiest for frying

Posted: 04 August 2014 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20

These days, I either cook in coconut oil, bacon grease, or on a rare occasion, butter. I use olive oil as a salad dressing (with balsamic vinegar) or if a recipe calls for it. I think coconut oil is far better for general frying over olive oil as it tolerates heat a lot better.

Signature 

- Mike

‹‹ Light headedness      The Hungry Games ››