Work on pullups and pushups together?
Posted: 06 March 2013 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2011-01-13

With respect to trying to get going with CF, I have had more stops and starts than my daughter trying to drive a clutch! There are lots of reasons for this (but no excuses): I train alone (no box nearby…yet), I don’t have a lot of equipment (I’m making some stuff),  my garage is very small, I travel a lot and, I’m very weak in the upper body, I also tend to go hog wild then stop (like trying to do 1000 squats in a week).  plus I like to sleep in. :(

Anyway, since I like to run, I was looking @ CFE’s 6 week intro (http://crossfitverobeach.typepad.com/files/competitor_06_2011_cfe1.pdf) and thought, I should be able to do that.  It turns out I can’t do a pull up. I don’t have a setup where I can do beginner pullups. I couldn’t even do one with a green band.  With the the black (100# resistance!) I could do 1 set of 5 , and then failed at 3. Well, at least I can do pushups…but then I ran into some vids that showed correct form! My elbows stick straight out, 90 degrees from my body. When I tried one with correct form, well, it was just that…tried. Situps I can do! So, if I have this kind of problem with form and strength on the basics, imagine how I suck on the more complex stuff!

I obviously need to work on form (and strength) re: Pullups and pushups (http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/16064/P15/#284858)

Question 1: Should I work on both at the same time?  If so, both on the same day? or alternate? Or start with one and a few weeks later at the other?

So, if I have this kind of problem with form and strength on the basics, imagine how I suck on the more complex stuff!

Question 2: Ok, I was going to ask if I should hold off start the WODs for a while, then I remembered http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/12442/ Asked and answered.

Oh, yeah, “Form, consistency, intensity.” Might be good to actually try that this time.

Ok, off to do leg killer (since I’m following behind for a change!)

Posted: 07 March 2013 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  846
Joined  2010-05-25
oldpup - 06 March 2013 10:09 AM

Question 1: Should I work on both at the same time?  If so, both on the same day?

Yes and yes. And they don’t even have to be part of a structured workout.

Use the frequency method. Perform some push ups and pull-ups periodically throughout the day.

Let Google be your guide, there are literally thousands of programs available online. But none of these programs will work unless you actually do the work. So no more excuses just get it done.

Signature 

M/42/6’3.5/207
Current#: 206

CF DOB 05/25/10

Posted: 07 March 2013 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-13
BobChase - 07 March 2013 03:28 AM
oldpup - 06 March 2013 10:09 AM

Question 1: Should I work on both at the same time?  If so, both on the same day?

Yes and yes…
But none of these programs will work unless you actually do the work.

Seriously?  Dang. red face

Thanks!

Posted: 01 April 2013 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-12-27

Sounds like you need to do some body weight movements to build up some strength.

Squats
Lunges
Push ups
Pull ups
Running - SPRINTS
Rows
etc.

Can’t do a push up?  Do it on your knees.
Can’t do a pull up?  Use a chair, a band, w/e
No where to do pull ups?  If you don’t live near an affiliate, that means you live in the boondocks.  Get up on that damn tree branch.

Set a simple plan, eat some good food, and follow it for 3 months.  Come back, PM me and I’ll help more.

Posted: 03 April 2013 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-13

Yup, working on it.

Thanks! smile

‹‹ Cardio plus WOD      2/1 sub Rope Climb ››