Hockey Player new to Crossfit
Posted: 20 March 2013 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-03-20

Alright,
I’m 19 years old (20 in a couple months) and I’m going to be playing college hockey.
I want to give cross fit a go this summer after my current season in Juniors.
I’ve been lifting for a good 4 years now.
I have all the olympic lifts down, overhead squat, snatch, front squat, squat, cleans, etc.. from 3 years of varsity football.

My main questions are:

When I see the WOD, it seems a little short because I typically spend 1-2hrs in the gym lifting/core/biking/stretching depending on the day. Do I really get as good of a workout in the 20min or so..?

Do I only do the one workout (explained to be only 15-20min depending on the WOD) and then thats it?

I’m 6’4” 205 and my lean body mass is 174, I eat really well and I’m in pretty dang good condition but would like to put myself to the test with crossfit because it seems like you can really push yourself. To be honest, I’m getting a little BORED of the traditional style of lifting.

Thanks for any help!

Posted: 20 March 2013 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9818
Joined  2007-01-08

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/4744/

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 20 March 2013 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-03-20

So would you highly suggest I go to a crossfit gym before doing workouts and work with a trainer?
I like to do a lot of workouts on my own but I want to do crossfit ha and I’m not at home where I will be in the summer, so should I just do the basic WOD and that’s it? Or do the WOD along with some lifting…?

Posted: 21 March 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14
LivinTheDream30 - 20 March 2013 04:55 PM

So would you highly suggest I go to a crossfit gym before doing workouts and work with a trainer?
I like to do a lot of workouts on my own

In general going to an affiliate will optimize your CF results.  There could be lots of reasons that this isn’t feasible.  Cost, availability, and time all factor in.  If you’ve got access to the equipment then there’s no reason you can’t do the work on your own.  Lots of people do this.

so should I just do the basic WOD and that’s it? Or do the WOD along with some lifting…?

Many people add strength work to their workouts.  Generally it is done before the WOD.  I think CrossFit Football posts a daily strength workout along with a traditional WOD.  You can also look at many different affiliate websites and see prescribed strength work that is paired with a WOD.

Stretching, or mobility, is a good idea.  Check out MobilityWod.com.

CrossFit doesn’t focus on “core”.  Think more in terms of midline stabilization.  The WODs will take care of this for you.

Posted: 21 March 2013 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9818
Joined  2007-01-08

Initially, just do the WODs.

After 3-6 months, if you’re performing well, add other stuff if you need to.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009