Where am I going wrong
Posted: 21 March 2013 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-03-21

So a little background…I’m a 31 year old male, right now I’m weighing in at 200 even. Last year I got into running ultras and dropped down to a low weight of 168, but injured myself and ended up putting the weight back on bringing me to my current state. I work out for about an hour a day and eat sensibly(no refined flours, sugars or artificial ingredients). So fast forward to now….I started the paleo diet two weeks ago and try as I may, I can’t seem to top the 1500 calorie mark with out feeling stuffed( fat intake is about 30-60 grams per day and protein is about 70-90). Also even working out for an hour a day(cardio) plus weights for 30 minutes every other day…..I can seem to shed a single pound…I feel great food wise but the lack of weight loss is very off putting ......anyone have any suggestions? I’ve started replacing my normal weight lifting routine with the WOD….but I’m honestly at a loss

Posted: 21 March 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

Paleo can mean different things to different people.  Are you following a particular program?  Do you keep a food log?  Do you weigh and measure your food?

Are you making improvements in other areas?  Strength or speed?  Doing “cardio” can mean a lot, too.

Posted: 21 March 2013 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2013-03-21
canis_nerdus - 21 March 2013 01:51 PM

Paleo can mean different things to different people.  Are you following a particular program?

. I am following more or less out of practical paleo…that being said if I haven’t vetted it thru there my basic principles are no dairy, no grains, no processed food and no sugar.

?  Do you keep a food log?  Do you weigh and measure your food?.

. Yes and yes, much to the annoyance of my wife….

Are you making improvements in other areas?  Strength or speed?  Doing “cardio” can mean a lot, too.

. Yes but it’s difficult to gauge as I’m coming back from my injury….my cardio schedule consists of tempo runs, moderate(slow/recovery) runs, race pace (marathon 8:30 minute miles) and interval training.  I also try to hit the stair machine for an hour a week.  The last couple weeks I’ve been sitting at 45-50 miles per week.  Hopefully that paints the picture a little better.

Posted: 21 March 2013 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9818
Joined  2007-01-08

Switch to doing CrossFit.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 21 March 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2013-03-21
Metric - 21 March 2013 06:14 PM

Switch to doing CrossFit.

For the last two weeks, instead of just focusing on lifting weights I have been doing the crossfit.com or the scaled workout found here.  This is in combination with my defined marathon training plan.

Posted: 22 March 2013 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

?  Do you keep a food log?  Do you weigh and measure your food?.

. Yes and yes, much to the annoyance of my wife….

LOL

All-in-all it sounds like you’re on a good track.  I can understand the frustration with no weight loss, but keep on doing what you’re doing.

From what you describe it seem unlikely that you can maintain body weight with only 1500 daily calories going in.  Keep a wary eye for hidden calories.

I’d stick with things for another 2 weeks before changing anything.

Posted: 22 March 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2013-03-21

I’m going to continue on…I took some body measurements night before last and recorded them.  I by no means want to be a slave to the scale but I’m just looking for some thing measurable….especially when I’m running that much.  Thanks for the input!

Posted: 25 March 2013 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  594
Joined  2012-05-16
Csumerall - 22 March 2013 11:50 AM

I’m going to continue on…I took some body measurements night before last and recorded them.  I by no means want to be a slave to the scale but I’m just looking for some thing measurable….especially when I’m running that much.  Thanks for the input!

I know you said you aren’t eating refined flours but how many carbs are you getting each day?

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 14 April 2013 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-04-14

what is your height, I ask cause regardless of your diet your you need to make calories.  Here is why, if you don’t your body will shut down.
Example, I was 25 when I got out of the Army, and was injured in Iraq and had back and knee issues from combat.  So working out was hard, but I lifted 4 days a week and did cardio 4 days a week.  But I ate 3500 calories plus a day.  Now I am 6’4’’ and at the time 230 to 245 depending on the beer that week.  No Paleo, or Zone or whatever.  Ate meat then veggies then bread.  And anything I wanted. 
So after I got surgery and a office job I got fat.  But here is the kicker, I was 275, now 250.  In 3 months.  But it took more time cause as you age you get better at keeping fat and doing less.
WEIGHT LOSS is COUNTER INTUITIVE.  Meaning when I started to eat only 2000 calories a day.  (I need 2300 to 2500 to stay up and around from day to day) I kept my fat and started to loose my muscle.  (your body will take muscle over fat any day of the week).  I know being a descendent of cavemen can suck. 
So you will need to do one of two things. 
1.  Eat your butt off to account the calories that you burn in exercise.  (meaning if you need 2000 calories to make it through the day just sitting around and you burn 500 calories a day exercising you need to eat 500 more calories)  I know doesn’t sound right but stay with me here.  Your body will still burn a ton of calories from recovery, if you are burning 500 extra calories from recovery, or diet then by numbers you will lose a pound of weight a week.  Now with age comes issues, so eating all day to keep you in full metabolism mode is super important.  Boxers and wrestlers do it by eating half protein bars to trick their body into thinking its full.  (not a good long term thing to do)
2.  Get few carbs;  I know bad word again.  But if you are having issues eating, then after workouts eat some bread, or a sandwich, or chocolate milk.  Why, your body needs carbs to replace your standing fuel reserves.  After workouts, your body will top off your reserve energy with carbs and your muscles will feed on what is left.  Double meta boost.  Hardcore lifters eat before bed, (thing WWE, Mr Olympian etc) so their body doesn’t eat all the gains for that day.  If you are naturally skinny, then you get to eat big.  .5 to .75 gram of protein per pound of body weight.  Veggies and then carbs.  It will suck, I had a skinny Lt. in the Army who got super huge working out but he ate so much he puked for the first week. 

Lastly a cheat day.  The most famous cheat day guy you know of is “The Rock”  I’m a huge fan of it, especially when you first start back to working out from nothing, your body needs fuel and to let it know you are not starving to death Just one day a week, or one meal one day a week.  Whatever you like. 
Sorry for the length, but I know it sucks, when you start back again.
good luck