Scientific Rebuttal on Rest/Recovery
Posted: 23 March 2013 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-03-16

So - I have a relative who is a trainer at a Globogym.  She claims that I should not be doing anything with weights if I did any weight training the day before.  She was dumbfounded when she found out that I had a 3 on 1 off and 2 on 1 off schedule and that our WODS usually involve some sort of weights (but sometimes just bodyweight exercises) each workout.  She also balked at the idea of working the same muscles two days in a row (or opposing muscles).  She would prefer weights one day, cardio the next, and then weights the next day, etc.  (She also is trying to convince me to stop Crossfitting because it’s hard on your body…..Which was funny because my body never felt this strong and in shape in my life).

All I know is that I’ve been doing this and I feel fine.  When I feel extra sore I’ll take an extra day off.  Is there some sort of scientific support for not skipping a day between weight training?  I would love to be able to respond to her criticism intelligently but I don’t know where to begin.

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered.

Thank you for any help or advice you may have.

Posted: 23 March 2013 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  512
Joined  2012-11-24

This might help: Max out on squats every day [wfs]

Posted: 23 March 2013 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  259
Joined  2010-05-20
ausman - 23 March 2013 05:32 PM

This might help: Max out on squats every day [wfs]

Great read!

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 24 March 2013 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-03-16

That’s very helpful - especially the bit about the garbage man.  I often thought about that - if you had to do heavy lifting every day for your job, you really couldn’t take a day off so that you only lifted every other day.  Thanks for the link!

‹‹ Where am I going wrong      Thoughts on DOMS ››