Milk/Dairy consensus?
Posted: 11 April 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2013-03-21

Is there a consensus within crossfit regarding dairy…specifically milk? I read some places people don’t drink milk and I drink other places how other people drink lots of milk, particularly for post-workout recovery drinks.

Is it based on tolerance to lactose? In any case, I like milk, and don’t seem to suffer any ill-effects, but I’d be willing to try forgoing it if there were some solid health benefits to be gained.

Thanks,
Bryan

Posted: 11 April 2013 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  670
Joined  2012-07-04

There are lovers and haters and all in between. If you go all in paleo it’s not part of the diet, but a lot of hard-training crossfitters do use dairy.

No solid evidence against milk, but also there is little to the milk-is.the-healthiest-of-all-drinks campaigns seen in some parts of the world (e.g. here in the latte-loving Sweden). There are some modern studies saying that it’s probably better to drink wholemilk than the low fat kinds.

If you like milk and your stomach can handle it, drink it. You get a lot of good nutrient from it, but nothing you can’t get in any other way.

Signature 

M 30/1.79 m/76 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 11 April 2013 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  835
Joined  2010-08-25

I love it.
But I also love beer grin

Signature 

M/47/80kg

Posted: 14 April 2013 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-04-14

The milk of the day these day is Chocolate Milk.  due to its perfect blend of Protein to Cabs for recovery.  I am a huge milk fan, 1 or 2%, so you body absorbs it better.  Vitamin D has shown promise on the absorbing of protein.  And alone with magnesium and calcium is important for joints, knees. and immune health. 
Best part it makes a dope shake, protein berries and milk

Check some of these links
http://www.menshealth.com/video/surprising-hydrators#/video/all
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20100922/milk-drinkers-may-lose-more-weight

Posted: 21 April 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-04-21

Totally genetic if you do well with it or not, in my opinion.

Posted: 23 April 2013 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  830
Joined  2011-07-07

We drink raw milk in my household and love it! I have a protein shake with it after my workouts. My wife’s allergies were all but eliminated as well.

Signature 

M / 29 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2013 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 24 April 2013 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  567
Joined  2012-05-16

Milk and cheese have been demonized by the Low-Fat diet people since the late 60’s. (so has meat but that’s a different debate) Humans are the only animal that consume milk products after infancy, so there is some science to that. However, whole milk and low processed cheese has its benefits. The skim milk kind is really pointless. If you are trying to lose weight I would keep dairy products to a minimum. But when I was playing football, I’d drink 2-3 gallons of whole milk a week to help put on weight. It worked too. Unfortunately, cutting it out to lose weight was tough.

I would say if you like cheese and milk eat it but try and keep it to early in the morning or lunch. (same with carbs)

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 09 August 2013 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-08-08

Primal Diet allows dairy if you tolerate it well. Full fat is a must! Anything less than 2% has negative effects in males and increases the risk of prostate cancer dramatically. But the whole point is to re-program your body to run off of fat.

Signature 

41-M/5’10”/170lbs
First WOD: 6/4/13

‹‹ Migraine & Overtraining      Cheat Day ››