GHD issue
Posted: 12 April 2013 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-08-08

Hi all,
    So first I’ll give a little background, so that you may better understand my situation.  So, I’ve been doing crossfit since mid 2010, I feel that I had gotten fairly good and was doing most WOD’s at the pack level.  I went the gym 7 days a week, rest days were still a fun time to practice stuff or swim in the pool at the gym.  I had gotten to the point, where I understood each movement well, and was working up my weight, also GHD’s have always been a favorite of mine,  any ghd workout posted, I could keep up with the RX guys on that part.  GHD’s had never been an issue and I enjoyed doing them.  So moving on to me currently, I found out about 9 months ago, that I had MS - It really hit hard and made life tough (the “medicine” only made things worse) and I had also lost about 17 lbs which im sure was all muscle.  I was not able to workout until I got my life figured out,  started eating properly, got to the gym anyway even though initially my workouts were usually poor attempts at extra amounts of movement and ditched the “medicine”.  Today life is good, I’m back into real WOD’s my body feels great and im following along with the site again (only buttercup level for most days).  So that being said, doing all the exercises I used to love but at lower weights and reps feels good.  Since GHD’s were always a favorite of mine, I got right back on,  I’m only able to do about 6 or 7 before I cant bring myself back up, the issue I’m having is, my back hurts (right near my waist) when doing some of the GHD’s, making this more of a challenge to get back to old habits.  So what I was wondering, am I doing something wrong, or do I just need stronger back and hips before I’m able to do this without hurting?  If strength is the issue, what could I do to prepare my back and hips to be able to handle this movement.  Tips and Advice would be great! Thanks
Mark

Signature 

M/27/140/5’9”/started crossfit on july 20th 2010

Posted: 23 April 2013 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  891
Joined  2011-07-07

Sorry to hear of your condition. Hope things return to normal for you.

Have you eased back into the workouts in all regards, not just with amount of weight used with lifts? For example, starting with regular situps, knees to elbows, toes to bar, weighted situps, etc before jumping back into the ghd’s? For ghd hip/back extensions, have you been doing supermans to get the back stronger? Maybe light load good mornings, or swinging some progressively heavier kettle bells as well?

Signature 

M / 30 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2014 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 23 April 2013 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4656
Joined  2007-11-13

Perhaps a video of your GHD form?
Are you hyperextending as you get parallel to the ground?  What is your ROM?
The GHD sit-up should be a predominantly isometric abdominal exercise with the hip flexors being the driving force.  Not having your pelvis and lower spine locked together during the movement can lead to lower back irritation as can excessive ROM.  Try reps going down to various degrees ABOVE parallel to determine if you can do these pain free.

Signature 

44yo male, 6’0” 181-85# Began WODs Nov. 2003 (first CF post Feb. 2004)

Posted: 13 May 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-08-08

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been without Internet for while.  Thank you so much both of you, excellent advice, I found it was a combination of both replies. Since I didn’t ease into it enough (I just wanted to be my old self so bad) my hips back and ankles were not strong enough to keep me on the GHD and to have the proper range of motion.  I was way over extending, so I took things more slowly and only this week am I finally doing GHD’s again.  I am also conscious of my extension and have better equipped back hips and ankles!  Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.  P.S. I’m stilling totally kicking ass on my MS.  Crossfit and AI paleo all the way!

Signature 

M/27/140/5’9”/started crossfit on july 20th 2010