1 of 2
CrossFit and Weightloss
Posted: 23 April 2013 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2012-05-16

Alright, let me preface this for anyone who doesn’t know, I lost 100 lbs by conventional dieting and exercise about 2 years ago. I say that just so you know I understand weightloss and all the struggles that come with it. I have been able to maintain that weightloss since joining CF about a year ago.

I understand CF isn’t a weightloss plan and that many CF’s do either paleo or zone. My current diet isn’t a true paleo diet but is pretty close. I eat meat, veggies, nuts, fruit. I try and avoid carbs at all cost. I also try and eat as organic as possible. The wife and I did a vegetarian diet for about a month just to give it a shot and I struggled to get enough calories for my workouts. My weekend diet could be better but certainly isn’t that bad. I do plan on cutting back any “cheat” meal (which is typically sushi) to just Friday night.

My struggle is I haven’t really lost much weight doing CF. Im currently about 230 (i need to update my sig lol. I gained the 9 lbs over the christmas break cause I was lazy). My goal would be to lose about 20 lbs. That would put me at 6-2 210 which would be a healthy weight for my height and muscle structure. I have gained a good bit of muscle mass but I don’t feel like I’m losing fat (weight) as I would like..I just want to be lean and Im tired of being flabby.

My thought is, and this is just my thought, that WOD’s really aren’t designed for weightloss. That Im not burning enough calories to lose weight. I mean most WOD’s are less than 20 minutes and a total Workout for me (includes Warmup, WOD and CFSB) is about an hr. Again, I could be looking at this wrong, but If I’m not burning enough calories, then I won’t really lose the weight.

I have been thinking about adding a run after my WOD or waking up early to get a short 2 mile run in the morning until I lose this weight. My fear in this is that it would lead to over training. Another thought is to back off WOD’s a bit and increase my cardio (more calories burned) just until I lose the weight. I’ve kind of done this the last two weeks by focusing on running but I would like more balance. I just feel this 20 lbs is a hindrance and I want to get rid of it.

So any thoughts or advice is welcomed.

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 23 April 2013 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

Is there a reason to think that the same diet you used to lose the first 100 pounds wouldn’t work for 20 more?

Posted: 23 April 2013 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16

Yeah my diet hasn’t really changed. I just use to do at least an hour of cardio a day and sit in dry saunas. Wasnt the best way but its what I thought was best at that time.

So I guess I’m trying to figure out a way to do Metcons that burn lots of calories for every WOD.

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 23 April 2013 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23

You might also want to look at what you’re doing the other 15 hours that you’re not working out or asleep. Do you just sit the whole time? I f this is true you might need to set a timer for yourself and get up every half hour or so and walk for 5 minutes, or get in the habit of walking to get lunch or due errands. Park at the far end of the parking lot. I got one of those fancy little pedometers, after my husband wouldn’t stop talking about all the data from his, it not only tracks how far you walk but just how active you are, it was a real eye opener. So a person who works out quite a bit I really sit around way too much.

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 23 April 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3872
Joined  2009-03-01

As an aside, which one did you get Mags?

Signature 

M/42/210#
Crossfit Birthday: 2/12/2009
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frosty996
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

Posted: 23 April 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16
Magdawg2020 - 23 April 2013 02:29 PM

You might also want to look at what you’re doing the other 15 hours that you’re not working out or asleep. Do you just sit the whole time? I f this is true you might need to set a timer for yourself and get up every half hour or so and walk for 5 minutes, or get in the habit of walking to get lunch or due errands. Park at the far end of the parking lot. I got one of those fancy little pedometers, after my husband wouldn’t stop talking about all the data from his, it not only tracks how far you walk but just how active you are, it was a real eye opener. So a person who works out quite a bit I really sit around way too much.

Yeah I have a desk job and sit most the day. Luckily I have my weekday diet down to a science so I’m not sitting on excess carbs. This is one reason I was thinking of an early morning run to help get things going. But I’m afraid that will lead to over training. Has anyone tried this before? Early morning run and a WOD/CFSB in the afternoon?

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Posted: 23 April 2013 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-03-01

I think the only way you’ll find out if it works for you is if you try it.  I’d suggest you not start with a 10mi run though…maybe a 1 mile run a few days a week and see how your WODs go, then up the distance of one for a a week or two, etc.  If you ratchet up slowly, it should be easy to dial back down to something that doesn’t cause overtraining after it becomes an issue.

Signature 

M/42/210#
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

Posted: 23 April 2013 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16
frosty996 - 23 April 2013 03:34 PM

I think the only way you’ll find out if it works for you is if you try it.  I’d suggest you not start with a 10mi run though…maybe a 1 mile run a few days a week and see how your WODs go, then up the distance of one for a a week or two, etc.  If you ratchet up slowly, it should be easy to dial back down to something that doesn’t cause overtraining after it becomes an issue.

Man I wish I could run 10 miles. Yeah I was thinking just a 1- 2 mile jog. Nothing too serious. I’d rather save my legs for the WOD’s. But you’re right I guess I’ll just have to try it.

I was looking over my diet and there is a difference in my Mon-Fri routine and Fri night- Sunday. My weekends aren’t terrible but I eat so clean during the week any change causes a weight gain. Gotta find better balance.

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Posted: 23 April 2013 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Joined  2009-03-01

Yah, so start with something that seems quite short to you….if 5k is a long run, then maybe start with 800m.

Signature 

M/42/210#

Posted: 23 April 2013 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  891
Joined  2011-07-07

I don’t know how it is for you, but lots of running on top of wods inflames my knees, even with pose running technique. I ride my bike to and from work sometimes, that’s a lot easier on the joints and still a great way to get some extra cardio in.

Signature 

M / 30 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2014 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 23 April 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20

My $0.02:
First: Skip the running and do lots of walking. On a 15 minute break at work, you can walk 3/4 of a mile.
Second: Go strict paleo for a while.

Try both for 30 days.

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 23 April 2013 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  529
Joined  2012-11-24

Hi there. Another option is fasting. I’ve been experimenting with eat stop eat, although for reasons other than weight loss, but I’ve had to carb-load to the point of force feeding just to maintain my weight. Here’s a good article and case study: Intermittent Fasting by Precision Nutrition

Signature 

M 29 178cm 80kg

Posted: 24 April 2013 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16
dannyrod - 23 April 2013 05:02 PM

I don’t know how it is for you, but lots of running on top of wods inflames my knees, even with pose running technique. I ride my bike to and from work sometimes, that’s a lot easier on the joints and still a great way to get some extra cardio in.

My knees are typically OK after running. Typically it’s fatigue that sets in, especially after a heavy leg WOD. So even if the WOD isn’t long (say sub 9 minutes) my legs are still jello for the run. I want to get a stationary bike though which may help burn some extra calories.

This is just temporary for me. Once I get down to an acceptable weight (body fat %) I won’t stress too much and focus on just getting better at CF. My thought is being 15-20 lbs lighter would make me better at WODs…

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Posted: 24 April 2013 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16
smithma7 - 23 April 2013 06:50 PM

My $0.02:
First: Skip the running and do lots of walking. On a 15 minute break at work, you can walk 3/4 of a mile.

Try both for 30 days.

I find paleo means different things to different people. I eat primarily meat (pork, chicken, red meat, bacon) eggs, organic fruits and veggies, nuts and healthy fats like avocado and olive oil. So how would “strict” paleo contrast to that?

As mentioned before I really have to make my weekend diet much better. After talking it over with my wife last night we both agreed it could be much better.

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Posted: 24 April 2013 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16
ausman - 23 April 2013 08:54 PM

Hi there. Another option is fasting. I’ve been experimenting with eat stop eat, although for reasons other than weight loss, but I’ve had to carb-load to the point of force feeding just to maintain my weight. Here’s a good article and case study: Intermittent Fasting by Precision Nutrition

I’ve tried intermittent fasting before. While losing the 100 lbs I would experiment with different diets to see if they worked. In the end I found a low (healthy) carb diet full of good veggies and a balance of meat to be the best. Fasting worked but wasn’t really something that could be done consistently. Like maybe only 2-3 days a week and maybe even less. What kind of results have you seen?

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Posted: 24 April 2013 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20
Red Beard - 24 April 2013 05:07 AM
smithma7 - 23 April 2013 06:50 PM

My $0.02:

Try both for 30 days.

I find paleo means different things to different people. I eat primarily meat (pork, chicken, red meat, bacon) eggs, organic fruits and veggies, nuts and healthy fats like avocado and olive oil. So how would “strict” paleo contrast to that?

As mentioned before I really have to make my weekend diet much better. After talking it over with my wife last night we both agreed it could be much better.

I guess what I meant was really what you and your wife agree on already: clean up the weekend eating. If the week is already dialed in paleo-wise (no grains, no sugars, no refined crap), then do the same on the weekends. I lost 30 pounds in 2 months of strict paleo. Then I went 80/20 and slowly put 20+ back on over the course of 6 months. I’m trying to get back to eating strict, but it’s tough to do in a house of 4 people when I’m the only one concerned about my health and everyone else wants to eat crap. Also, I’ve read that eating lots of fruit can limit fat loss. More veggies, less fruit. I try to keep my fruit intake to one serving a day, if that. Fruit IS healthy, but it can have a lot of sugar in it depending on which fruits you eat.

Signature 

- Mike

1 of 2

‹‹ Cheat Day      Anyone have a hernia? ››