Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2012-05-16
smithma7 - 24 April 2013 07:26 AM
Red Beard - 24 April 2013 05:07 AM
smithma7 - 23 April 2013 06:50 PM

My $0.02:
First: Skip the running and do lots of walking. On a 15 minute break at work, you can walk 3/4 of a mile.
Second: Go strict paleo for a while.

Try both for 30 days.

I find paleo means different things to different people. I eat primarily meat (pork, chicken, red meat, bacon) eggs, organic fruits and veggies, nuts and healthy fats like avocado and olive oil. So how would “strict” paleo contrast to that?

As mentioned before I really have to make my weekend diet much better. After talking it over with my wife last night we both agreed it could be much better.

I guess what I meant was really what you and your wife agree on already: clean up the weekend eating. If the week is already dialed in paleo-wise (no grains, no sugars, no refined crap), then do the same on the weekends. I lost 30 pounds in 2 months of strict paleo. Then I went 80/20 and slowly put 20+ back on over the course of 6 months. I’m trying to get back to eating strict, but it’s tough to do in a house of 4 people when I’m the only one concerned about my health and everyone else wants to eat crap. Also, I’ve read that eating lots of fruit can limit fat loss. More veggies, less fruit. I try to keep my fruit intake to one serving a day, if that. Fruit IS healthy, but it can have a lot of sugar in it depending on which fruits you eat.

Yeah I hear ya. Unfortunately, keeping weight off is a never ending battle. Some of us don’t have the metabolism that just burns it for us.

Yeah the plan is to get the weekends under control first. If that doesn’t lead to weightloss, only then will add more cardio.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 24 April 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20

Regarding cardio, I’ve been listening to the EPLifeFit Paleo Podcast and the 2 trainers that host it are not CFers. They do preach similar things, though: lift heavy and throw in some HIIT. They, like Mark (mark’s daily apple) also preach against running long distances. They say sets of short sprints are far better. As well as lots of walking. I understand that a lot of people like running (I don’t), but running for distance can punish the body. They say it stresses the body and this could increase cortisol levels and hinder fat loss.* HIIT w/ sprints can do the opposite. Do some searching online for data.

*this is why it’s so hard for a lot of people stuck in the chronic cardio world to lose fat/weight. They eat less and run more and the stress from each brings on the cortisol which gets in the way of fat burning.

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 24 April 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16
smithma7 - 24 April 2013 10:59 AM

Regarding cardio, I’ve been listening to the EPLifeFit Paleo Podcast and the 2 trainers that host it are not CFers. They do preach similar things, though: lift heavy and throw in some HIIT. They, like Mark (mark’s daily apple) also preach against running long distances. They say sets of short sprints are far better. As well as lots of walking. I understand that a lot of people like running (I don’t), but running for distance can punish the body. They say it stresses the body and this could increase cortisol levels and hinder fat loss.* HIIT w/ sprints can do the opposite. Do some searching online for data.

*this is why it’s so hard for a lot of people stuck in the chronic cardio world to lose fat/weight. They eat less and run more and the stress from each brings on the cortisol which gets in the way of fat burning.

Couldn’t agree more..But we can’t demonize cardio. After all, CF is a form of cardio. A light jog or even run isn’t inherently bad for you. Hours of treadmill running and elliptical…whatever you call what they are doing…is bad for you.

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 24 April 2013 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20
Red Beard - 24 April 2013 11:10 AM
smithma7 - 24 April 2013 10:59 AM

Couldn’t agree more..But we can’t demonize cardio. After all, CF is a form of cardio. A light jog or even run isn’t inherently bad for you. Hours of treadmill running and elliptical…whatever you call what they are doing…is bad for you.

I think we agree here.

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 24 April 2013 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23
frosty996 - 23 April 2013 02:49 PM

As an aside, which one did you get Mags?

Fitbit, my father gave them as Christmas gifts

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 24 April 2013 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  528
Joined  2012-11-24
Red Beard - 24 April 2013 05:11 AM
ausman - 23 April 2013 08:54 PM

Hi there. Another option is fasting. I’ve been experimenting with eat stop eat, although for reasons other than weight loss, but I’ve had to carb-load to the point of force feeding just to maintain my weight. Here’s a good article and case study: Intermittent Fasting by Precision Nutrition

I’ve tried intermittent fasting before. While losing the 100 lbs I would experiment with different diets to see if they worked. In the end I found a low (healthy) carb diet full of good veggies and a balance of meat to be the best. Fasting worked but wasn’t really something that could be done consistently. Like maybe only 2-3 days a week and maybe even less. What kind of results have you seen?

I’ve been fasting 20-32hrs once every eight days for the past few weeks (every other rest-day following mainsite). Bodywight drops 3-4kg each time. I’ve only had DOMS once since starting which I think is odd. But this could be from the extra calories on my feeding days. Performance seems unaffected. Probably too early to tell if my body compostion has improved. It hasn’t seemed difficult and fits my lifestyle well.

Signature 

M 29 178cm 80kg

Posted: 25 April 2013 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16
ausman - 24 April 2013 04:28 PM
Red Beard - 24 April 2013 05:11 AM
ausman - 23 April 2013 08:54 PM

Hi there. Another option is fasting. I’ve been experimenting with eat stop eat, although for reasons other than weight loss, but I’ve had to carb-load to the point of force feeding just to maintain my weight. Here’s a good article and case study: Intermittent Fasting by Precision Nutrition

I’ve tried intermittent fasting before. While losing the 100 lbs I would experiment with different diets to see if they worked. In the end I found a low (healthy) carb diet full of good veggies and a balance of meat to be the best. Fasting worked but wasn’t really something that could be done consistently. Like maybe only 2-3 days a week and maybe even less. What kind of results have you seen?

I’ve been fasting 20-32hrs once every eight days for the past few weeks (every other rest-day following mainsite). Bodywight drops 3-4kg each time. I’ve only had DOMS once since starting which I think is odd. But this could be from the extra calories on my feeding days. Performance seems unaffected. Probably too early to tell if my body compostion has improved. It hasn’t seemed difficult and fits my lifestyle well.

That’s pretty good results given the short time you’ve been doing it. I used IF as a way to recover from an overdoing cheat night; Helped rid the body of excess carbs that I just consumed. Perhaps this is a good thing to implement here and there to help my body get rid of excess crabs/sugar.

thanks

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

2 of 2

‹‹ Cheat Day      Anyone have a hernia? ››