Anyone have a hernia?
Posted: 27 April 2013 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-12-10

I had this hernia repaired 3 weeks ago and I have gradually been coming back.  I’m doing a lot of my previous activities but lighter weight and skipping some things. The hernia is central and is about 3 inches above the navel.  Things I am wary of now are overhead lifts, burpees and toes-t-bar.  Also Kipling pull-ups. Do you have any thoughts and/or experience with this injury and recovery?

Signature 

Birthdate 4-2-66
Crossfit Re-birthdate 4-2-2010
Male, 44, 6’1” 205

Posted: 13 June 2013 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-09

I Had hernia repaired in Jan, it was also just above the navel. I was told nothing ab/core related for at least 3 months, and no heavy lifting ie nothign that would make you strain only cardio and very very light lifting after 6 weeeks, I guess it depends how bad it ws but you dont want to re injure it. I would say talk to your surgeon, and listen to your body, mine still hurts sometimes if I push it> smile

Posted: 13 June 2013 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2011-01-13

Funny you should ask!

Scheduled for a double inguinal hernia repair next week! :(

So, I’m looking for feedback myself!

Were you able to return to full CF activities and if so, how long did it take?

(Yes, I know each case is different and yes, I’m in touch with my surgeon. Just wanted to some real world feed back).

Thanks!

Posted: 14 June 2013 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-06-09

I am New to CF, just started actually, I was a figure competitor previous that’s when I ended up with the hernia, 7 days a week of lifting. I think getting back into cross fit would be a much quicker turn around as there is lots you can do that doesn’t require really heavy lifting and you can also scare your workouts. Just my opinion though.

Posted: 15 June 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-06-15

I’m still pretty new to CF myself, just starting in March 2013. I had umbilical hernia surgery April 1st,2013 that I’ve actually had for almost 3 years from pregnancies. I took off a month to heal since I had issues right after surgery with my son kicking me in the bellybutton days after surgery and busting a hematoma that had built up. I haven’t had any issues since coming back to CF WMD. I can still do pullups and ab workouts with no issues. The only small issue I have is that my bellybutton is not an innie as much as I’d like, so doing bar facing burpees and pushups on the concrete have given me a nice lil cherry on my belly button. Good luck with ya’lls surgeries.

Posted: 26 June 2013 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-06-03

My uncle had a hernia and he got it treated last month. Doctor recommended to avoid lifting heavy weighted things. It take long time to recover from it.

Signature 

dermatend mole remover

Posted: 27 June 2013 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2012-05-16

Just a question. Was the hernia caused by doing CF or something else?

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 24 July 2013 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2011-01-13

One month post op. Dr. cleared me to resume “normal” activities. Is CF a “normal” activity? smile

Posted: 26 February 2014 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Terrier
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2014-01-25

Just had my surgery today. Dr. said no lifting anything over 10 lbs for two weeks and slowly increase by no more than 5 lbs a week after that up until 6 weeks. Long slow recovery…. Not happy but no desire to have to go for more surgery because I’ve been impatient and stubborn.

Posted: 20 March 2014 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2014-03-20

Just take the time to work on your diet and get a really good plan going for the future. I’ve been injured before too (who hasn’t) and it sucks having to sit out, but hey, it is necessary. Take the rest.

Posted: 01 May 2014 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2014-04-02

Yeah, I had a slight hernia when I was in college.  The doc said that it would likely heal on its own and not require surgery if I rested and avoided any strenuous lifting and core work.  Thank goodness, he was right.  It took about 3 months before I was pain-free and felt strong enough to perform movements that were otherwise off limits.  Either way, definitely see a doctor if you think you have a hernia.  They can assess if it’s bad enough to get surgery or if rest and patience will be enough to get you back to a healthy state.

Signature 

“It’s not the critic who counts.” -Teddy Roosevelt

Posted: 05 June 2014 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-06-05

Hernias you really have to get some imaging to confirm it.  Until then you area kinda guessing what the extent of the injury is.  We have seen althetes with complete and partial umbilical hernias and even sports hernias… however about have the athletes we see under imaging don’t have a hernia at all… more so just tendonitis of an adductor or something of that nature.

I attached an image of a partial umbilical hernia under MSK Ultrasound imaging.  We did an image under rest and under a particle sit-up to grade the change.. in this case we did not have the hernia extrude but it was enough where we had this Crossfitter modify for a while.

Musculoskeletal Ultrasound is a Dynamic or movement related image done in real time

This is where the magic of Musculoskeletal Ultrasound comes in.  I have read numerous cases where an athlete can only feel pain with a movement, which can only be visualized on Musculoskeletal Ultrasound.  MRI is what we call a “static image.”  In fact if you are in the MRI tube and move too much the image will become useless with motion artifact.

This article should help you guys understand what your options are for ruling in and out a hernia or muscle strain in the ab or groin region.  http://www.p2sportscare.com/2014/02/20/musculoskeletal-ultrasound-in-orange-county/

‹‹ CrossFit and Weightloss      ZMA? ››