Finally bit the bullet and joined an affiliate
Posted: 08 May 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2012-10-01

Hey everyone!

After a long time deliberating whether or not to work the AU $150 per month it costs at my semi local affiliate into my budget, I finally bit the bullet and called the guys at the local affiliate (not sure if I’m aloud to mention their name on the forum) and booked in for the free complimentary session.

You see I’ve been fumbling my way through the Main site WOD’s for about 6 months off and on and had some nice results but keep injuring my 34 year shoulders. So it’s been a bit of a case of 2 steps forward, 1 step back until recently - it got too frustrating and I stopped all together about 2 months back.

I’m pretty sure I’ll sign up tomorrow and cop the 30 min commute to the box each morning, then off to the office. I’m fairly out of shape right now and feel really tired, but I do know that this is all about to change, so I’m positive about the decision.

Signature 

M/34/5’11/215

Cross Fit Birthday 20120927

“It’s never too late to become what you might have been” -George Elliot

Posted: 09 May 2013 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3674
Joined  2007-12-23

Best thing you could have done, working out on your own works for some.
Having a coach and working out with others is the best, for getting form dialed in and preventing injury.

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 11 May 2013 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-07-26

I did the same thing recently.  I’ve been WODing on my own with reoccurring tendinitis for the past year. I joined an affiliate last month. With my job schedule I can only make one night then still do 2x in my garage. This box (Cranberry Crossfit) has a punch card membership option witch is great for my schedule and financial situation.

I’ve learned more in four visits that in the previous year. A lot of good coaching on form (reducing injury) plus they push me a little harder than I would on my own. So it’s increasing my progress at home. I was hesitant to join because I’m well beyond the average age/fitness of most crossfitters. Once I joined I found that I’m not the only one. Many members are close to same level of fitness. Some a little above, some a little below.

I agree ... best thing I could have done.

A big surprise was last week ... They planned to change their schedule and sent out an email to the membership for feedback to make sure they could accommodate as many people as possible. I think they kept my night and time open just so I could still make it (given my 3 job work schedule). Keep in mind they make a whopping $10 from my punch card visit. Very impressive service and commitment that I wouldn’t have gotten from a Globo Gym.

As you can see I don’t post often (shame on me) but this is the kind of thing that I feel beginners need to be aware of. There is a lot to be gained from an affiliate. I wish I would have joined sooner. I have no connection with the affiliate other than a very satisfied member.

Helix

Posted: 16 May 2013 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Big Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  487
Joined  2012-07-02
Helix - 11 May 2013 07:51 AM

I did the same thing recently.  I’ve been WODing on my own with reoccurring tendinitis for the past year. I joined an affiliate last month. With my job schedule I can only make one night then still do 2x in my garage. This box (Cranberry Crossfit) has a punch card membership option witch is great for my schedule and financial situation.

I’ve learned more in four visits that in the previous year. A lot of good coaching on form (reducing injury) plus they push me a little harder than I would on my own. So it’s increasing my progress at home. I was hesitant to join because I’m well beyond the average age/fitness of most crossfitters. Once I joined I found that I’m not the only one. Many members are close to same level of fitness. Some a little above, some a little below.

I agree ... best thing I could have done.

A big surprise was last week ... They planned to change their schedule and sent out an email to the membership for feedback to make sure they could accommodate as many people as possible. I think they kept my night and time open just so I could still make it (given my 3 job work schedule). Keep in mind they make a whopping $10 from my punch card visit. Very impressive service and commitment that I wouldn’t have gotten from a Globo Gym.

As you can see I don’t post often (shame on me) but this is the kind of thing that I feel beginners need to be aware of. There is a lot to be gained from an affiliate. I wish I would have joined sooner. I have no connection with the affiliate other than a very satisfied member.

Helix

Good decision!  I’m about to do the same thing - work schedule, box schedule and distance only allows for one visit per week so I’ll use that one visit for form work primarily and then increase when/if I can work something out…  I’ve done okay on my own but want to give back to the great, generous group of CrossFit folks out there by supporting a box in some way, albeit small.

Signature 

Dawn T

F/52/5’6”/125#/6028 ft elevation
1st WOD 07042012
https://www.facebook.com/Dawndelion

One can never know for sure what a deserted area looks like.
-George Carlin