Equipment UK: Where to buy pull up stations/rigs?
Posted: 23 May 2013 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2013-03-25

Hi guys,

Will be needing new equipment to work on pull ups, preferably a free standing one station pull up rig to go outside (my garage has a low ceiling =/).

Can’t find any decent sites in the UK to purchase?

Help!! Really need to get cracking with pull ups as I want to compete in a year or two so there is no time to waste!

I know I should get to an affiliate ideally, but I will be a student soon, so would rather ramp up my home box for money purposes.

Hopefully hear from someone soon! =]

Signature 

M/23/6’0/84kg

Posted: 23 May 2013 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14

Can you make one yourself?

Posted: 23 May 2013 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-25
canis_nerdus - 23 May 2013 07:25 AM

Can you make one yourself?

Would definetly have a go for sure.

But… could do with some advice on how if you have any!

Even if you just point me in the right direction that’d be good..

Signature 

M/23/6’0/84kg

Posted: 23 May 2013 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3872
Joined  2009-03-01

My first thought would be a rogue squat rack like I have that has a pull-up bar at the top.  But, if you’re on a student budget, that’s probably out.

that said, I’d probably look in the classifieds or craigslist for a used tall power rack that has a pull-up bar.  over here, they come up pretty regularly and are usually cheap.

Signature 

M/42/210#
Crossfit Birthday: 2/12/2009
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frosty996
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

Posted: 23 May 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-25
frosty996 - 23 May 2013 09:03 AM

My first thought would be a rogue squat rack like I have that has a pull-up bar at the top.  But, if you’re on a student budget, that’s probably out.

that said, I’d probably look in the classifieds or craigslist for a used tall power rack that has a pull-up bar.  over here, they come up pretty regularly and are usually cheap.

Thanks mate.

I will take a look at both options, the student budget only starts in september you see.. so planning on stocking up on essentials before that kicks in!

Rogue has an online store based in the states and europe, but not the UK! So I am assuming delivery charges…would be more than the product..hmm

Signature 

M/23/6’0/84kg

Posted: 23 May 2013 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3872
Joined  2009-03-01

Drat, I was thinking they had a UK affiliate, but obviously I’m mistaken.

I’d take a look at their S based racks and see if you can find something similar that’s made locally.

If you have a local metal fabrication place, they might weld you up something similar.

Signature 

M/42/210#
Crossfit Birthday: 2/12/2009
FB: http://www.facebook.com/frosty996
Inertia plays a mighty role in recovery, and an object at rest on a couch can stay there for a long time.

Posted: 23 May 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3358
Joined  2006-02-17

First thing if it’s just pull ups you are interested in then I might go with a wall mounted pull up bar.  I know that rogue does something like that which may give you some ideas.  The next thing is try contacting your nearest box and see if they have a friendly welder that they have used to get some custom kit.  Alternatively, if you know a welder yourself i can shoot you some pix of a wall mounted bar that I had made.

Let me know where abouts in the uk you are and I may be able to help out with contacts

Cheers, kempie

Edit -here is a pic of my rig in case it gives you some ideas

34742.jpg

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 23 May 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-25
kempie - 23 May 2013 09:54 AM

First thing if it’s just pull ups you are interested in then I might go with a wall mounted pull up bar.  I know that rogue does something like that which may give you some ideas.  The next thing is try contacting your nearest box and see if they have a friendly welder that they have used to get some custom kit.  Alternatively, if you know a welder yourself i can shoot you some pix of a wall mounted bar that I had made.

Let me know where abouts in the uk you are and I may be able to help out with contacts

Cheers, kempie

Edit -here is a pic of my rig in case it gives you some ideas

34742.jpg

Thanks Kempie, unfortunately for me there is physically no room for the wall mount.. That was my first thought lol.

From your pic, that’s ideally what I wanted.. But will have to go with a station unfortunately.

Any other ideas? Think generic thought is to go to a fabricator.. From Wigan, north west!

Signature 

M/23/6’0/84kg

Posted: 23 May 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3358
Joined  2006-02-17

Bummer, I’ve just had a look at eBay and there are a few interesting ones there.  A couple of jury rigged out door set ups and even a pull up bar designed to fit into a corner rather than needing a long stretch of straight wall. 

Failing that I think one solid option would be to make a double A frame out of green logs or the like with the bar acting as the pivot for each frame.  Some chain joining the free ends (ie the ends opposite the bar that will go on the ground) so they can only open up as far as you want them to.  Otherwise, many of the pull up stations look a bit flimsy and wouldn’t stand up to living outside, or indeed to kipping pull ups.

Another outdoor option would be two 12’ logs anchored into the ground and have the bar fastened to or through the timbers at the desired height.

Cheers, kempie

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 23 May 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9924
Joined  2007-01-08

This is what I did.
http://metricsmusings.blogspot.co.nz/2010/03/long-awaited-equipment-post.html
06032010037.jpg

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 24 May 2013 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-25
Metric - 23 May 2013 06:38 PM

This is what I did.
http://metricsmusings.blogspot.co.nz/2010/03/long-awaited-equipment-post.html
06032010037.jpg

That’s sweet, thanks. I can get timber local as well!

Not quite the craftsmen though… Help lol

Signature 

M/23/6’0/84kg

Posted: 24 May 2013 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  9924
Joined  2007-01-08
Ayching - 24 May 2013 11:59 AM

If you saw how many mistakes I made in that thing you wouldn’t call it craftmanship. grin

I explained most of what I did in that blog post, feel free to improvise your own solution. I like that one because; it was freestanding, came apart for when we move house and wasn’t enormously technical. I then proceeded to complicate it. The main point of the design is those single uprights. Many rigs are over engineered. They build a full trestle that is braced to death.
If you’re just doing pull-ups, the line of force is mostly vertical and a good thick upright can accommodate that and the small amount of horizontal force in a kip quite easily.

We link a few make your own equipment sites and articles in an FAQ BTW.
http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/8483/

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 24 May 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-25
Metric - 24 May 2013 12:20 PM
Ayching - 24 May 2013 11:59 AM

If you saw how many mistakes I made in that thing you wouldn’t call it craftmanship. grin

I explained most of what I did in that blog post, feel free to improvise your own solution. I like that one because; it was freestanding, came apart for when we move house and wasn’t enormously technical. I then proceeded to complicate it. The main point of the design is those single uprights. Many rigs are over engineered. They build a full trestle that is braced to death.
If you’re just doing pull-ups, the line of force is mostly vertical and a good thick upright can accommodate that and the small amount of horizontal force in a kip quite easily.

We link a few make your own equipment sites and articles in an FAQ BTW.
http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/8483/

Yeah the rigs you see in stores are pretty technical. All I expect is a base, uprights and the pull up bar itself.. that will of course also hold my weight in motion.

I think your build was perfect for what I want really!

Minds made up to build my own for sure, off to the states in 2 weeks however so will have to be after that. (Holiday much deserved grin )

Signature 

M/23/6’0/84kg

Posted: 28 May 2013 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2010-08-25

Mine is made out of scaffolding braced against an outside wall. The bottom of the poles sit in a timber sleeper which is also braced against the wall so it doesn’t move. This rig also serves as my squat stand. Cost me nothing - I acquired some poles and brackets from a building site next door but I think you could pick up some old stuff very cheap.

Signature 

M/47/80kg