Rhabdo or paranoia?
Posted: 23 May 2013 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2011-08-08

Hoping to get some feedback because this is the first time this has happened. I err on the side of more sensitivity to my body than less so it’s quite possible I am overreacting here. The problem is that I’ve read up a bunch of stuff on Rhabdo, and now like any time you start reading about some disease, it’s all too easy to start seeing the symptoms everywhere.

My schedule for the last three days has followed the mainsite:

Monday - Light weights/strength work + Helen
Tuesday - Medium weights/strength work including KB swings + Omar
Wednesday - Crossfit warmup including 45GHD situps + Weighted pullups

This was the first time I have done any GHD situps since about five months ago (I used to use them in every single warmup and never had a problem).

Today (Thursday) this morning I woke up with quite a bit of soreness in my abs. This slowly got worse and worse over the course of the morning until a point where I could hardly stand and even lying down was painful. This was pretty bad, probably the worst soreness I’ve had after a workout before (although not by much).

I noticed my pee was darker than usual, certainly not coca-cola coloured but definitely not white either, more like a darkish yellow.

I looked over my previous three days of workouts and realised there had been a LOT of eccentric ab work - Helen’s KB swings, further KB swings and planks on Tuesday, then GHD AND weighted pullups on Wednesday. This has got me worried, especially as it has been such a long time since I last did GHDs.

Now, after eating lunch and drinking a buttload of water most of the ab pain has gone away completely.

My question is: what should I be doing? Are there any clear and obvious warning signs I should be looking out for?

Bear in mind I am currently in Chile and checking myself into the hospital will be expensive and involve a tricky language barrier. If I have to, I’ll do it but it’s not a zero-cost option.

Signature 

Weight: 63kg
Height: 1.63 m tall (5’4”)
Catch me if you can gecko…

Life is easy when you live it the hard way, and hard when you try to live it the easy way.

Posted: 23 May 2013 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13874
Joined  2004-06-18

I am not a doctor and cannot diagnosis.

Warning signs for Rhabdo.
1.  Extreme muscle soreness
2.  Extreme muscle weakness
3.  Discolored urine

Adults almost always present all three

Exercises that have been linked to more Cases of Rhabdo
1.  Jumping or partner pull ups
2.  Kettlebell swings
3.  GHD sit ups
4.  Downhill running

People we monitor in the affiliate to avoid Rhabdo
1.  People on statins
2.  New clients especially those with an athletic background or who “work out”
3.  CrossFitters who have taken time off

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 24 May 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9606
Joined  2007-01-08

Brett Forde linked this on his FB page the other day

http://bretcontreras.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-rhabdomyolysis-insights-from-the-university-of-iowa-incident/

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 26 May 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2011-08-08

Just an update to say that everything is completely fine and I didn’t end up in hospital.

My pee was pink a few times which really freaked my out but I remembered that I had eaten beetroot the day before, that’s why I was seeing it. I’ve been feeling just fine since after Wednesday morning when my abs were incredibly sore.

However, in future I will take a little care when I notice I am performing exercises that place extreme strain on already stretched muscles.

Signature 

Weight: 63kg
Height: 1.63 m tall (5’4”)
Catch me if you can gecko…

Life is easy when you live it the hard way, and hard when you try to live it the easy way.