Advice for Working Around a Shoulder Injury
Posted: 01 June 2013 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-07-26

Hi All,

My left shoulder has been bothering me since Oct/Nov. Finally went to Doc and was told it’s a torn Labrum. Doc says 6-8 weeks of minimal use and physical therapy. I can see a couple ways to work around this but I’d like input.

1 continue to do the WODS but eliminate any shoulder/arm exercise OR sub with something else ... push ups sub sit ups or squat etc. Does it matter what I sub with?
2 continue to do the WODs as written except use a dumb bell with the good arm while the bad arm heals
3 make up my own WODs focusing on running, core, Legs etc etc

Thanks
Helix

Posted: 10 June 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1683
Joined  2008-02-14
Helix - 01 June 2013 06:42 AM

Hi All,

My left shoulder has been bothering me since Oct/Nov. Finally went to Doc and was told it’s a torn Labrum. Doc says 6-8 weeks of minimal use and physical therapy. I can see a couple ways to work around this but I’d like input.

1 continue to do the WODS but eliminate any shoulder/arm exercise OR sub with something else ... push ups sub sit ups or squat etc. Does it matter what I sub with?
2 continue to do the WODs as written except use a dumb bell with the good arm while the bad arm heals
3 make up my own WODs focusing on running, core, Legs etc etc

Thanks
Helix

Does it matter what you sub with?  Yes.  Will it affect you substantially?  Maybe not.  If you’re a recreational CrossFitter working on your own then you’ll likely not get optimal results, but, there’s a reason (you’ve got an injury and you’re programming yourself).  Is it worth losing sleep over?  No.  Focus on the rehab.

Personally I think I’d try to do WODs while working around the injury.  That said, an 8 week diversion of running, biking, yoga, or something else might not be too bad either.

There are a number of one-armed workout posts within the forum.  You might try searching around a bit and see what you can find.

Posted: 08 September 2013 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-09-08

My advice is simple, scale back. My story is this, I played my last year of college football with a major shoulder injury.  When I finally got finished with the season, I went for surgery and found just how bad it was.  The doctor who performed my surgery was the same dr that finally fixed Joe Montana’s elbow and he informed me that he only saw on shoulder worse than mine, Rathman who used to play for the 49ers.  I had a torn labrumn, 3 torn rotator cuffs, torn middle deltoid, torn bicep tendon, blew out both bursae sacs and they shaved off part of my clavicle.  He couldn’t fix all of it, the down fall was that over time, I have injured my other shoulder as well.  I started crossfit 2 months ago when I saw a video of Froning talking about his shoulder injury.  I’ve lost 30lbs since and my shoulder mobility has increased due to one simple fact, I left my ego at the door.  The weight I use is light, but I’m more concerned with mobility and flexibility, with those in place, the strength will come.  I would try flexibility and mobility with light weight for a bit, if it gets worse, then take the time for therapy