Overhead Squat Difficulties
Posted: 05 June 2013 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2013-06-05

Hi, I am a newcomer to crossfit, and I noticed that overhead squats seem to be a pretty important crossfit exercise.  I had never done an overhead squat before, so I decided to practice the form/movement.  When finding the optimum grip position by doing shoulder dislocates, I noticed that I need a very wide grip.  Using this grip and attempting to do the squat motion, the whole thing feels out of whack.  It seems as though I am unable to sit back enough, unable to maintain the bar in the vertical plane with my heels, and I am pretty sure I am arching my lower back too much.  I’m thinking that I might just be tight and need to work on mobility in my shoulders, and/or hips.  Does anyone have any tips or hints? Similar experiences?  Thanks!

Signature 

Started CrossFit on June 5, 2013!
23/M/5’9’‘/144#

Posted: 06 June 2013 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23

For mobility issues we usually refer people to MobilityWOD.com, start with his earliest posts and work your way forward.  Probably you need to narrow your grip from what you can do the DROM/shoulder dislocates, standing try to position the bar so that it is about half way between your navel and your pubic bone, or with arms over head about an 8” clearance, these are a general guideline.

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 06 June 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4717
Joined  2007-11-13
squiggy - 05 June 2013 06:47 PM

Does anyone have any tips or hints?

How is your air squat, your front squat?  Approaching mechanical perfection on these movements while working shoulder mobility would be a valuable endeavor for a couple months.

Signature 

45yo male, 6’0” 181-85# Began WODs Nov. 2003 (first CF post Feb. 2004)

Posted: 06 June 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  622
Joined  2012-05-16
squiggy - 05 June 2013 06:47 PM

Hi, I am a newcomer to crossfit, and I noticed that overhead squats seem to be a pretty important crossfit exercise.  I had never done an overhead squat before, so I decided to practice the form/movement.  When finding the optimum grip position by doing shoulder dislocates, I noticed that I need a very wide grip.  Using this grip and attempting to do the squat motion, the whole thing feels out of whack.  It seems as though I am unable to sit back enough, unable to maintain the bar in the vertical plane with my heels, and I am pretty sure I am arching my lower back too much.  I’m thinking that I might just be tight and need to work on mobility in my shoulders, and/or hips.  Does anyone have any tips or hints? Similar experiences?  Thanks!

I would say first off, video yourself in the movement and post in the Video thread. That way some of the more experienced guys can give you their thoughts. But as others have already pointed out….If your air squat sucks, then that is where you start. It took me a good year before my OHS was decent. (not good, just decent).

Posted: 06 June 2013 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2013-06-05

thanks for all the replies! I will be spending more time working on my air squats, front squats, and exercises from mobilitywod.com before trying to tackle the overhead squat. thanks again

Signature 

Started CrossFit on June 5, 2013!
23/M/5’9’‘/144#

‹‹ ?? regarding a WOD      Workout Demos? ››