Setup for Dead-lift, Clean and Snatch for the Taller Lifters
Posted: 12 June 2013 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  594
Joined  2012-05-16

I’m 6’2’’ and I struggle with my set up on these lifts. I’ve been watching DL videos and then comparing to my own and I notice that my butt is much higher in the air than those who are shorter than me. This causes problems throughout the lift, primarily being that my hips and shoulders don’t move at the same time. Hips first, then shoulder, causing a rounding of the upper back on heavier lifts.

Here are two pictures of my start.

photo IMG_3163_zps68aa6815.png

photo IMG_3164_zps16d81694.png

After some searching on the Brand X forums the consensus was that for I should start with a wider stance. My question is how wide? If I go much farther out my hands will need to come on the inside of my knees (which is something I’d like to avoid). I’ve seen some videos of people starting with the weights lifted up higher off the ground (sitting on some 25 lbs bumper weights). I wasn’t sure the reason for that set up. So is the setup wrong or is there perhaps another problem I should be working on?

Finally, if the wider stance is needed should I take the same stance for the other two lifts?

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 12 June 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14077
Joined  2004-06-18

Do you really want me to answer?  If I do will you get mad and leave the forum?

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 12 June 2013 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16

Sure. Let’s see what happens.

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 12 June 2013 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14077
Joined  2004-06-18

Your position right now is irrelevant.  What I mean by that is until you have a neutral and safe spine that you can maintain throughout the ENTIRE movement where your feet, shoulders etc, are doesn’t matter.  Your cervical spine is in extreme extension.  Your lumbar is in flexion.  Your hips are pulled under.  The whole structure is unsafe and thus unstable.

So here is the hard part if you were in my gym, and the trainers on here and folks who have been to BX will confirm, I wouldn’t let you lift anything from the floor until we could demonstrate a neutral spine in your lifts unloaded.  Hang power cleans, Hang power snatch and elevated deeds for metcons only.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 12 June 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16

Well I’m certainly not mad. Frustrated? You bet. So what can I do all by my lonesome to fix these issues?

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Posted: 13 June 2013 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3289
Joined  2006-02-17

Red beard, I’m away on hols but I have a drill that I’ve used with a bunch of folks that will help you develop the movement pattern and mobility. Will post a vid over the weekend.  In the meantime, I’d definitely work on your hip mobility as I can see in the first pic your femur is running into your pelvis which means the lumbar is having to flex to accommodate the ROM.

This would be a good one for you I think

http://vimeo.com/11944698

Cheers, kempie

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 13 June 2013 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-05-16

I’m 6’1.5” and I can tell you the problem isn’t your height. Many lifters much shorter than you have the same issues.

Signature 

Lincoln Brigham
USAW, CSCS, Crossfit

http://www.gryphon-sc.com
51M/6’1”/170-ish

Posted: 13 June 2013 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Boxer
Joined  2012-05-16

Yeah I figured that :/ It really is mobility related. As Kempie and GD pointed out problem is in the hips. (And possibly the hamstrings) My Dr says I have the tightest Achilles’ tendon and hamstrings he’s ever seen. I do 4 different hip mobility movements before every WOD (2 min a piece). I also work my hamstrings as well. So I’m frustrated cause by the trainers viewpoint on this forum I am still lacking in a big time way.

Signature 

Compare to 330# in 2009

Posted: 13 June 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-05-16

When I first started squatting I couldn’t get below parallel if you held a gun to my head. Now I’m WAY below parallel and I’m 54 years old.
It may take more time and effort than you thought initially.

Signature 

Lincoln Brigham
USAW, CSCS, Crossfit

http://www.gryphon-sc.com
51M/6’1”/170-ish

Posted: 16 June 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1260
Joined  2010-01-30

I’m way out of my league as a coach. But my trainer who does a lot of BrandX training had me insure that by shins were straight up when I addressed the bar.  Then there was a lot of discussion of angry gorilla pose from cross fit kids.  Oh and I’m 6’1”.  It wasn’t my height that was wrong, it was my form.

Just what I saw.  But trust GardDawg

J

Signature 

“It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy”

Wolfgang Pauli

Translation:  Don’t try to be good at it if you’re not willing to poke at the details day after day and be excited about repeats.