RE: PRs
Posted: 20 June 2013 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2013-06-05

Question for the expert Crossfitters..

When establishing PRs, what lifts does Crossfit require you to have PRs in, And what is the best method of attaining these i.e. Do them all in one day, like with the “crossfit total” or should I spread these lifts out over several days…?
Also, should I have PRs for my: 3 & 5 rep sets?

Also when it comes to “Metcons” What are considered metcon workouts, and which ones should should i have times on, or should I have times on all of them. Which ones are considered “heavy” metcons”?

Sorry for being all over the place, but Im truly excited about getting better at what I’ve come to love. I used to do the standard, M, TUE-THUR-FRI workouts. etc etc.. Crossfit has given me a renewed sense of well being… thanks for your time and assistance….

Signature 

LocalsOnly worship

Posted: 20 June 2013 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9933
Joined  2007-01-08
xfitislander84 - 20 June 2013 11:38 AM

Question for the expert Crossfitters..

When establishing PRs, what lifts does Crossfit require you to have PRs in, And what is the best method of attaining these i.e. Do them all in one day, like with the “crossfit total” or should I spread these lifts out over several days…?
Also, should I have PRs for my: 3 & 5 rep sets?

Also when it comes to “Metcons” What are considered metcon workouts, and which ones should should i have times on, or should I have times on all of them. Which ones are considered “heavy” metcons”?

Sorry for being all over the place, but Im truly excited about getting better at what I’ve come to love. I used to do the standard, M, TUE-THUR-FRI workouts. etc etc.. Crossfit has given me a renewed sense of well being… thanks for your time and assistance….

You’re not required to have PRs in anything.
Every CF workout has a measure of some sort, weight lifted, time to complete, reps or rounds completed.

Over time you will repeat workouts and if your score the latest time is better than the last time, that’s a PR.

In some respects you don’t go looking for PORs, you look to do the best in each workout, both in terms of technique and performance and the PRs take care of themselves.

Signature 

Craig Massey

“The point of CF is to get better at life.  Being unable to workout tomorrow because you were pigheaded today is not in line with our goals.”
Garddawg - 22 March 2009

“CrossFit is not dangerous.
Bad coaching is dangerous, poor movement is dangerous. Ego is dangerous.
CrossFit, properly scaled to the individual is the safest and most efficient program available for strength, conditioning and movement.”
BlueBugofJustice - 18 August 2009

Posted: 21 June 2013 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  847
Joined  2010-05-25

As CrossFitters we have PRs for everything.

Just this morning I hit an egg scrambling PR: 7:03.02

Legit (but I did use pack scaling).

wink

Signature 

M/42/6’3.5/207
Current#: 206

CF DOB 05/25/10

Posted: 21 June 2013 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  13325
Joined  2007-01-30
BobChase - 21 June 2013 02:48 AM

wink

No rep…

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 21 June 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  613
Joined  2012-05-16
BobChase - 21 June 2013 02:48 AM

wink

You must of been using non-organic eggs. Organic ones are only for the fire breathers.

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/240#

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 21 June 2013 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2013-06-05

Maybe I used the wrong verbiage, or maybe I truly need to do more reading…lol. I assume that when it comes to my 3, and 5 rep sets as sometimes come up on the main site. I should have a good idea of what my previous 3 & 5 rep maxes were in order to find a basis of where I should begin so that I may improve my max weight.

For example a couple days ago the main site had front squats of 185# for 21, 18 etc….. I used this site to scale back. So how does one determine his max in the front squat so that he may have a basis to work with when trying to improve his strength as talked about in the CFSB article. I know i may be all over the place, but how am I going to be able to front squat 185 for said reps, when I have no basis to work with. Should I just find out my 1 rep max and utilize percentages of that max to establish my 3 & 5 rep work sets??

On another note. When it comes to your guidance on working our “skills” on certain days. Is there a list of movements considered as “skill” movements. ?

Thanks for all you do…...

Signature 

LocalsOnly worship

Posted: 26 June 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  1036
Joined  2011-03-07

Depending on a lot of things (recovery, nutrition, injuries, DNA and wife/husband) you will get to OR not get to the RXd weight.
Work the wod, go CFSB Lite and see how that feels.
If u today did the FS at 135, and u did a good time, you know where u stand. If your time was higher, then thats knowledge as well. Next time u use this knowledge when a wod calls for high rep FS.

Know that adding a lot of strength-work will tax u hard. I did CFFB for some time but quit cause of that my body never recovered (now, I’m a delicate flower so that might not be true for u). They called for BS 2 times a week, DL, press, bench and cleans once a week. And metcons on top (shorter but even so) 5 times a week.

Hq gives wods that call for 1,2,3 or 5 regular, not to forget.

As usuall I don’t know if I answerd anything or if I just been ranting on again.
/Patrik

EDIT: O f__k… Just saw the question was for the expert Crossfiter. Would not call me that. Happy amateure goes better grin

Signature 

CFDB november 2010. “Resurrected” January 7 2013
On ramp at: http://crossfitvastkusten.se/
Now back to work out on my own.
“Compete against others and you become bitter. Compete against your self and you become better”
M 46/218/6,2

Posted: 26 June 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3675
Joined  2007-12-23

Try not to get to caught up in using a percentage of past PR to determine weight in a WOD when you first begin CrossFit.
Find the scaling that is posted each day and decide which one you want to try, BC puppies, pack, porch, probably not Big Dawg!.
If you get partway in and think, this is too light, continue on get your form perfect and up the intensity.
If on the other-hand you get partway in and think “I’m either never going to finish or I’m going to take so long (2-3x as long as everyone else) that it doesn’t make sense. Then strip weight of until it feels right, you can do the movement with excellent form.

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

‹‹ Starting CrossFit tomorrow      My time ››