How do you eating, rest, skill work , cross-fit & do powerlifting? With-out over training?
Posted: 26 June 2013 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-09-13

I will be honest I have been on and off again with CrossFit. Mainly because I am weak at cardio,muscle endurance, and gymnastic skills. In the last two month or so I have been getting out of my comfort zone and doing more body weight movements along with a few weighted met-cons here and there. My question is as the title intel’s how do you do it all ? How do you incorporate powerlifting, met-cons and skill work without over training? I have no what, need or desire to be in the games, but I do want to be a local bad ass. I have the well, the drive, but I lack the knowledge to put it all together. My work hours are from 10AM-6PM, so I was thinking X work in the AM and X work in the PM. If anyone else has or had this issue/s please share the fix. Thanks

Signature 

Sept.2011 245lb
Oct.2011 233lb

Posted: 27 June 2013 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2012-05-16

Since no one else has offered an answer I’ll give it a shot…

I would say the asnwer to all your questions are found in CrossFit. I know thats a simple answer so I’ll explain..

For starters eating-

Most people around here do Paleo or the Zone diets. Either one is a great choice. I personally do a combo of Paleo, Zone and low carb. Diet is a personal preference but whatever you choose, start off by eliminating as much processed food from your diet and cut out complex carbs…Just remember good nutrition and rest is essential to recovery and muscle growth.

Rest, skill work, CrossFit and Powerlifting..

All four of these will be found in how CF is designed.

Rest- CF has a 3 on 1 off routine. For beginners it is suggested to start with 1 on 1 off, after a month of so move to 2-1, then eventually 3-1. I would suggest, given your statements, to start off by just being consistent with your WOD’s. Pick either the morning or night and do a warm-up (which can be found on the beginners page) + the WOD. If time is an issue you can split up skill work and the WOD but certainly don’t do two WOD’s in a day starting out. That will most certainly lead to over training. Get to the point where you’re doing them more often then not. Just by doing the WOD’s you’ll improve on this..“I will be honest I have been on and off again with CrossFit. Mainly because I am weak at cardio,muscle endurance, and gymnastic skills.” A vast majority of people who’ve never done CF in their life fall into this category. It’s OK.

Skill work can come in your warm up or after or before the WOD. If you struggle with a movement, work at it. Grab a PVC pipe or broom stick and just practice the movement. Heck this can be done while watching TV. CF is Form > Intensity > Weight. Get form down first, add intensity and then add weight. I have struggled with this and sometimes get this order mixed up.

Powerlifting-

I assume you mean strength training. Well, if you follow the main site WOD’s that are scaled here there are enough “strength” WOD’s that come up in the cycle to help in gains for the major oly lifts. In fact, most WOD’s contain some sort of powerlifting movement. Whether it be cleans, dead-lift, squats, snatch, bench press etc. You’ll get work in them all. After doing the WOD’s + skill work for a at the very least 6 months, you can think about adding additional strength work to your routine. Every first time crossfitter has asked, “You just do the WOD’s and that’s it?” Give it six weeks and you’ll understand why.

Hope this helped

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 27 June 2013 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2010-09-13

Thanks Red Beard. Honestly it will not be easy mentally doing a WoD that only last a few minutes when I am use to spending an hour + in the gym. I understand the “work” is great, but it still will take time.  As far a diet I am currently 244LBs and I have started cutting out the junk foods. Now on to the rest part. Lets just say it needs some work. Thanks again for the reply.

Signature 

Sept.2011 245lb
Oct.2011 233lb

Posted: 27 June 2013 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14099
Joined  2004-06-18

What are your deadlift and squat numbers?

At your age, proper mobilization and prep for the wod should take 15-20 minutes, WOD 5-20 minutes.  That leaves you 20 - 40 minutes.  If the wod only took 5:00, and you did it right, it should take you at least 10 minutes to recover enough to think about doing anything else.  If it took 20 minutes it probably takes only 3-5:00 to recover.  All in all you probably have 10-15 minutes left to play around with skill work/get better at the things you don’t do well.

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 27 June 2013 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2010-09-13
Garddawg - 27 June 2013 07:32 AM

What are your deadlift and squat numbers?

At your age, proper mobilization and prep for the wod should take 15-20 minutes, WOD 5-20 minutes.  That leaves you 20 - 40 minutes.  If the wod only took 5:00, and you did it right, it should take you at least 10 minutes to recover enough to think about doing anything else.  If it took 20 minutes it probably takes only 3-5:00 to recover.  All in all you probably have 10-15 minutes left to play around with skill work/get better at the things you don’t do well.

My Dead Lift is 515LB and I am squatting 450LB. Some of the things I battle with is time in the gym (no boxes in my area)lifting a can do for hours. Crossfit it seams so short and not sure it was enough and food intake. I had my BMR done about a year ago and 10LBs lighter . The BMR said I need it 2,600+ just to stand still at the time I was 235 19%. I have tried eating 100% zone or paleo , but 1. I am an equipment operator and cant just take 10-20 minutes to eat every three hours due to driving routes or loading/unloading & 2. I get hunger within a couple hours. Sad to say but the junk lasts longer and I don’t get hammered for not doing my job. I don’t want to sound like I am making excesses, but I need to let you all know my life style, so people will understand. I do want this life style, but it’s not as cut and dry and just do it. In fact I have even done the lvl.1 Cert at Dallas Strong and the Strongman Cert in Colorado. I have just hit a road block that I dont know how to get across.  Thank you all for your help. Red beard if you read this how did you reduce the calories?

Signature 

Sept.2011 245lb
Oct.2011 233lb

Posted: 28 June 2013 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2012-05-16
Shannon Moon - 27 June 2013 07:16 PM

Red beard if you read this how did you reduce the calories?

First off, you’ve got the strength that I certainly don’t have. So well done with that. I’m jealous. This probably means you have a good amount of muscle mass, which I didn’t have when I started to lose weight. Again, I’m jealous. To asnwer your question…I just did.

Even though I lost 100 lbs I wouldn’t say I did it the right way. I mean losing weight is good but there are wrong ways to go about it. I ate way too little and waited far too long to incorporate weight training. I literally ignored my lower body till I started CF a year ago. HELLO, WHY I STRUGGLE NOW..

Anyways..At 225 I still want to lose another 15 lbs of fat. I have struggled losing “weight” with CF but that is because for a long time I was obsessed with how much I weighed and less about my diet. I had this number in my head that I would need to be to look trim. Well that’s just WRONG. 12 months ago I weighed 226. This morning I weighed 226. Yet I look COMPLETELY different. (thank you CF). Once I stopped worrying about the weight and paid more attention to my diet was when I really started to see success.

The only tried and true method I know is to not worry about calories. Don’t count them. IMO It creates a poor idea of weight loss. Think more about what you are eating and less about how much. Eat until you are full and then stop. If you are hungry, eat till you’re full then stop. I eat three meals a day, and 1-2 snacks. I cut processed and complex carbs out (yes I cheat here and there), increased my protein/veg and started to eat healthy fats. I also work a desk job so I try to eat very light during the day. My largest meal is dinner because that is after my WOD. Also, I intermittent fast 1-2 days a week.

I know you are worried that CF won’t be “long” enough workouts to burn enough calories. I thought the same thing but its more than enough, if your diet is right. Think of RIP Bruck. That’s at the very least 25-30 minutes of straight running, squatting and upper body work. If you add a warm up, CFSB and skill work, that could be an hour + of exercise. Is that enough? I think so.  Every time I’ve tried to blame the training on the lack of weight loss, I have always found the problem in my diet.

Man i hope this longer than expected reply helped smile

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 28 June 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Joined  2010-09-13

RED BEARD-WOW! Thanks that really helps a lot! I do count calories I have been using my fit pal app and keep my calories around 3,000 a day. Sometime I am over some time I am under, but I do try. As for strength I have been weigh training off and on 10 years, but it’s getting old. I want something new in life a make over if you will. I am not as lean as I would like to be, plus I don’t feel I am training for what life may throw at me, I am training for the gym. Here lately thats bugged me for some reason. I eat every 3 hours sometime all meal that the days I go over. When I have a snack I worry I will not be able to hit my lifts in the gym or have the energy to do a workout, so I eat more. I don’t over do it I am always 240-245, but I know I need to change.  Again thank you for the insight!

Signature 

Sept.2011 245lb
Oct.2011 233lb