Fatigue
Posted: 08 July 2013 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  228
Joined  2009-11-09

I have been at the whole crossfit game for about a year now, and have been scaling the workouts to pack most of the time, apart from maybe a few bench mark ones where I know I can do it as RX’d, I am doing 2 on 1 off at the moment,but Im finding myself feeling very tired and fatigued most of the time, my diet consists of, cereal in the morning, some toast for lunch, and a pasta dish with either chicken or tuna, and some salad and maybe some biscuits or fruit to snack on in between meals during the week and at weekends I will generally have whatever the wife can put together, my sleep patterns are all over the place and although Im in bed for 8 hours I tend to wake in the night which really seems to screw things up, question 1, am I eating ok? 2 Is my disrupted sleep pattern gonna effect my training that much, 3 should I keep the scaling consistant throuhout training regardless of wheather I fell I can do it as RX’d.
Im not sure if you will be able to see my training results or not, and have been updating my notepad fairly consistantly if you need to see it.

Thanks in advance.

Signature 

M34/5’6”/148

Xfit DOB 01/01/12

I hate crossfit, I love crossfit!

Posted: 08 July 2013 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  2010-05-20

Short answers (all IMHO):

1) No. I would give up the grains. That seems to make up most of your carbs. Also, toast for lunch? Your body is a machine and if you’re not giving it enough fuel, it’s going to bog down. Try driving up a steep hill in a 5th gear and while not giving the car enough gas. What happens? It bogs down and struggles.

2) Yes. Healthy sleep is required for recovery. Period.

3) Not qualified to answer, but I would recommend getting your nutrition and sleep in the right places before worrying about whether or not you should be doing WODs as Rx’d.

Just my 2ยข.

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 08 July 2013 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-09

Cheers smithma7, by grains do you mean the toast or the pasta? I kinda had a hunch that would be the answer I got but for some reason diet is something I really seem to stuggle with, I would love to tell you why!!!!

Signature 

M34/5’6”/148

Xfit DOB 01/01/12

Posted: 09 July 2013 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  2010-05-20

I mean both. Grains aren’t helping you. Empty calories and a host of other crap. There might be some who want to argue that, but I’m into paleo these days and I’ve never felt better since giving them up. Replace them with some nutrient dense veggies.

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 09 July 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3673
Joined  2007-12-23

I also see very little protein in your diet at all. You need quality protein at every meal and some healthy fats at every meal.
Instead of cereal for breakfast have eggs I cook some onions in butter then crack in the eggs and cover for about 5 minutes on low heat its done.
Takes to long you say, hard cooked eggs are easy and just as nutricious, peel them the night before and eat them on the way to work. Eat that big salad with olive oil dressing at lunch and throw on 3-5 OZ of meat, then do the same for dinner.

Signature 

CrossFit start date September 2007, joined the these boards December 2007

“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”
- Hermin Melville

F/52yrs

Posted: 09 July 2013 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-09

Cheers guy/gals, i think I will enter the zone see how it goes just got to get my head around the measuring of foods etc etc

Signature 

M34/5’6”/148

Xfit DOB 01/01/12

Posted: 10 July 2013 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2012-05-16

I’m going to assume you are pretty lean, no? If so, some carbs wouldn’t be a bad idea. (I know Paleo people just freaked out a little, its ok). But if you don’t have a good bit of body fat and you are mostly lean, adding in good, healthy, carbs at the right time could be beneficial for energy. Just try to keep them as least processed as possible. Organic bread isn’t awful for you, super processed is. Try getting some carbs, maybe a banana about an hour before your WOD and then some lean protein and veg immediately after. Oatmeal would be a better breakfast than just cereal too.

Just my thoughts

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 10 July 2013 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2012-07-04

You have got some good advice already, but I have a different angle for you.

How is life in general? Is it stressful at work or in your family?

Sometimes such things are the cause of bad sleep and performance.

Signature 

M 30/1.79 m/76 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 10 July 2013 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-09

It was stresfull, kinda getting my head together again after visiting a bad place, yeah im quite lean red beard or skinny as im told alot!!!, im finding diet quite a tricky thing as there is alot of contradictory advice out there, well it seems like it to me anyway, but I know I do find it hard to pack weight on so I will try and balance my meals abit better, fingers crossed it works because dragging my carcass around everyday is getting hard work, hopefully I can get the family onside as well, cheers all.

Signature 

M34/5’6”/148

Xfit DOB 01/01/12

Posted: 11 July 2013 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Boxer
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2012-05-16
jd579 - 10 July 2013 11:51 PM

It was stresfull, kinda getting my head together again after visiting a bad place, yeah im quite lean red beard or skinny as im told alot!!!, im finding diet quite a tricky thing as there is alot of contradictory advice out there, well it seems like it to me anyway, but I know I do find it hard to pack weight on so I will try and balance my meals abit better, fingers crossed it works because dragging my carcass around everyday is getting hard work, hopefully I can get the family onside as well, cheers all.

LOL I’ve never been called skinny..what does that feel like smile

Simple answer.. EAT EAT and then EAT more. You have the exact opposite problem as myself. I need to reduce what I eat to lose fat, you need to increase your consumption. Problem is people just think that means eat anything. Well that’s not right. You can eat 3,000 calories of the right food and feel great, and eat the same 3,000 of fast food and feel like a blob.

Seems like the Zone would be a good choice for you. It’s structured and lays out how much you should eat of Protein, carbs and fats per meal.

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/245# :( up from 225 a year ago.

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 11 July 2013 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-09

Yeah being skinny is ok to a point, problem is my metabolism is rapid to say the least, I know I can work for 6 months to put half a stone on, and loose it with one long endurance exercise, slightly annoying to say the least.

Signature 

M34/5’6”/148

Xfit DOB 01/01/12

‹‹ Protein bars and shakes      Vitamin A ››