Newbie looking for guidance
Posted: 10 July 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-07-10

Hi all:

I’m brand new to the site and to CrossFit in general. What I’m really looking for is advice on how to get started.

I love, love, love the concept of CrossFit, but I am morbidly obese (355 lbs), and have bad knees and a temperamental lower back. I am a member of a great health club (Lifetime Fitness) and would like to utilize their equipment and facilities as much as I can. I have looked all around this site to get an idea of what exercises I could do, but there are so many options - I’m getting a little overwhelmed!  rolleyes

Can anyone offer a good beginner passel of exercises so I can at least get my butt moving? I can add on or increase intensity once I get started. But perhaps someone else has been in a similar situation as I am in now and can share their experiences or advice.

Thanks!

Posted: 10 July 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2012-05-16

Welcome! And congrats on starting your journey to a healthier life.

I could give you the simple answer and point you to the FAQs and tell you to just do the daily WOD’s posted on the site but I feel that wouldn’t really help you. I’m not a CF trainer but I was 325 lbs 4 years ago…So If you don’t mind let me as you a few questions..

First off, are you just starting out or have you been working out for a while and just now found CF?

Signature 

M/32/6’2’‘/240#

Compare to 330# in 2009

Warm up: two rounds of 10 air squats, 1 min hamstring stretch, 10 push-ups, 5 pull ups, 5 dips, 10 deep squats holding on to a poll for perfect form, 10 sit ups, 200 m run, 5 KTE.

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. - Aristotle.

Posted: 10 July 2013 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20

I’m currently 335 and did not start CF on my own. I can’t express how helpful it was to find a box and get real world guidance on the lifts and proper form. Found mine through a groupon deal. Working on my own now and while I don’t have all the equipment, I do have proper form. wink

Signature 

- Mike

Posted: 10 July 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Puppy Dawg
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-07-10

I joined Lifetime Fitness about 2 weeks ago. I’ve been going fairly consistently (btw 4-5 days per week) over the past 2 weeks. Usually I’m just walking on the treadmill - slowly increasing speed and duration, or I’m in the pool swimming. Sometimes I can do laps, but it’s usually do a half a lap then stop and rest…then do another 1/2 lap, stop and rest. Very little weight training.
And then I bowl on a league every Thursday night.  That’s the extent of my activity.

I came to CF because I recently read an article about how interval training is really what I need to do to lose weight (b/c right now the scale just isn’t budging even though I’m exercising nearly every day and maintaining good nutrition) and that I’m wasting my time being on the treadmill constantly. CF seems pretty comprehensive to me and it makes sense. I really just want the time I’m spending on exercise to be effective. It seems like CF can give that to me.

Mike - I would love to join a box right now, but I really can’t. I’m borderline breaking the bank paying for LTF as it is, and can’t afford any additional expense for a trainer or another facility. So I’m going to have to do it on my own for awhile.

Posted: 10 July 2013 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13316
Joined  2007-01-30

Just a couple words of follow up:

Do what you can at lifetime.  We’ve all been there and had to do that at some point or another.  If you can find a box to drop into for an onramp class or some such and it won’t break the bank, it’s money well spent, and same goes for the oly lifts.

Next: all of this is scaleable.  Can’t run?  Good, you walk.  You’ll be timing things so you’ll know if you’re getting better.  Follow several days back and ask for scales if you can’t do something.  Dumbbells can be subbed for most oly work* so no need to crash bars in Lifetime. 

Fuel:

There are many half truths we all know.  Some of my favorites include: “This won’t hurt a bit, “I make a really good spaghetti”, “The check is in the mail”, and the last is “I eat really clean.”  I’m not a big fan of diving in all at once and changing everything you do.  I’d work on crossfit for bit and then when you get a pretty good handle on it we can talk about food and food choices.  Then when we have a handle on choices, we can work on portion control. 

You’re doing all the right things.  Just take it bite by bite and eventually you can eat the whole elephant…

TP

*and generally suck so much more it’s not funny…

Signature 

The common denominator of success—- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful—- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don’t like to do.—Albert Grey

“Really Connor? Really?”—Jeff Martin

http://rantopedia.blogspot.com/ (my blog)
http://www.facebook.com/patrick.hoffman1

M-47/5’11”/180lbs

There’s a reason they don’t call it “Fight Gone Good”.

Posted: 10 July 2013 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Pack Member
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-20
TeeJay2013 - 10 July 2013 11:58 AM

Mike - I would love to join a box right now, but I really can’t. I’m borderline breaking the bank paying for LTF as it is, and can’t afford any additional expense for a trainer or another facility. So I’m going to have to do it on my own for awhile.

I completely understand, but keep an eye out for groupons or living social deals (now that I think back, I think my box did Living Social). I paid $30 for 10 classes with 4 onramp classes. Can’t beat that with a stick! I later signed on for a year after my step-mother said she would bankroll my fees. That never happened but I don’t regret it because I learned a lot and while my weight didn’t change much, I did gain strength and some mobility. I can now squat properly with about 125# on my back. When I started, I would get about halfway to proper depth with no added weight and my knees would start screaming at me. The box will help, so keep an eye on those deals.

And TP is right, don’t try to change everything at once. wink

Signature 

- Mike