front squat form for CFSB
Posted: 14 July 2013 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  884
Joined  2010-08-25

Started CFSB on the front squats today. Using the first cycle to work up to current maxes so this was around 70-80% (60kg). Looking for feedback to confirm if this form is ok to continue with CFSB or if theres anything I should work on first. Will post other lifts later in the week. Thanks in advance

https://vimeo.com/70263302
https://vimeo.com/70263303

Signature 

M/47/80kg

Posted: 14 August 2013 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Boxer
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  689
Joined  2013-03-15

I’m not an expert, but think you should try and go deeper. i have the same fault and am trying to work mobility of ankles and hips to get depth.

try this (WFS) FS from Chad Vaughn:

http://instagram.com/p/c17WgyqedT/

Signature 

Murph

M - 195lbs - 5’10” - 39
CF DOB - Jan 2013

“Sometimes God calms the storm. At other times, he calms the sailor. And sometimes he makes us swim.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” MLK Jr.

Posted: 14 August 2013 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  8528
Joined  2004-07-08

First thing I look at is, are you safe. So your back is in a safe position, this is good. Second I look at your knees and when your knees shoot forward, this is unsafe and not real good for your knees. At the top position of your set up, send those hips back first then immediately start pushing your knees outward. I bet this fixes your depth. Good job.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 14 August 2013 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  856
Joined  2011-07-07
BIG D - 14 August 2013 12:38 PM

First thing I look at is, are you safe. So your back is in a safe position, this is good. Second I look at your knees and when your knees shoot forward, this is unsafe and not real good for your knees. At the top position of your set up, send those hips back first then immediately start pushing your knees outward. I bet this fixes your depth. Good job.

What if you have long femurs? I try to initiate with hips back first as much as possible, but if I were to do it 100% correctly, I’d just end up on my butt every time because my center of gravity would be thrown off behind me. The only way I’ve found I can deal with this is having a slightly wider than normal stance with toes pointed out a little more too.

Signature 

M / 30 / 185# (84K) / 6’1 (185cm)
Crossfit DOB: 2/1/2011
2014 Goals

“Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”
              -Isaiah 41:10

Posted: 15 August 2013 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  884
Joined  2010-08-25
dannyrod - 14 August 2013 09:22 PM
BIG D - 14 August 2013 12:38 PM

What if you have long femurs? I try to initiate with hips back first as much as possible, but if I were to do it 100% correctly, I’d just end up on my butt every time because my center of gravity would be thrown off behind me. The only way I’ve found I can deal with this is having a slightly wider than normal stance with toes pointed out a little more too.

Thanks for advice. I can go deeper withou too much trouble.
Feels like same issue for me with sending the hips back - feel like the only way I can do this more and keep the knees beck would be to go wider - otherwise I think I might have too much forward lean. Back squat feels similar. Don’t think I’ve got abnormally long femurs but I think I’m similar body shape to Danny

Signature 

M/47/80kg

Posted: 16 August 2013 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Top Dawg
Total Posts:  3268
Joined  2006-02-17

Guys, I think there is some misinterpretation of BigD’s comments (D - please let me know if I’m wrong here).  He is not saying you need to reach further back, instead he is saying you need to reach back sooner.  Also, more emphasis is required on shoving knees out to the side. 

Try doing this with an air squat

Stand tall then turn your pelvis over (point your butt out back like Donald Duck)
Shove your knees out to the side
Sit down as far as you can keeping your feet absolutely flat on the floor

After a few goes try and make the first two cues happen simultaneously

Once that is feeling Ok try and make it one super slow (15 second descent) but fluid movement

Check that your feet are staying flat and most importantly that there is no knee movement independent of the hip.

Let me know how you get on

Cheers, kempie

Signature 

Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com

BX Coaching Gold - “your doing all the right stuff its just coming out all wrong. “
CFSB Dummie’s Playground

Posted: 19 August 2013 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  8528
Joined  2004-07-08

Kempie that is correct. Guy’s hips will always lead the squat, its how much should they go back. It will be different on the Back squat and Front squat due to where the bar sits.

Couple of things to do would be to start box squatting and use a bench in front of your knees while squatting. I would start both these with a PVC. Send some videos of that.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

‹‹ Delete please      Front Squat ››