oh squat ??
Posted: 16 July 2013 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Mutt
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2013-07-01

Im not sure if this is the right area to post this so if Im wrong please forgive me. Im trying to do overhead squats but cant seem to get it with tipping foward. Its not even a little tip , its tipping over with my arms lock out. It also affects my snatch to. Any help would be great.

Signature 

m\37\5’11\253lbs
Don Vagi….
Crossfit=Alot harder than I ever thought it would be
Squat-475gear 425raw after 21 reps 135
bench-425gear 305raw
deadlift-500gear 425raw after 21 reps 115
cp-225 after 21 reps 115:( if Im lucky
Never quit, even if it takes all night

Posted: 16 July 2013 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Top Dawg
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  921
Joined  2012-07-04

Best thing would be to find a coach that can help you, but if that’s not possible there are several things you can do:

- Record a video of your attempts and post it in the videos forum. Then someone on the forum might spot what’s wrong.
- Do some mobility work to help you get the bar where you want it (mobilitywod.com for tips)
- Check instructional videos online to see how it should be done. (crossfit.com should have some)

Signature 

M 32/1.79 m/75 kg

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Posted: 29 March 2015 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2014-07-02

If you don’t mind I use this same thread… smile

I have a problem with snatches/OHS: when I do OH squat during a snatch, my lower back rounds and begans to feel uncomfortable/ slightly painful after a while. It’s kinda like buttwink. I am not sure whether this is caused by lack of mobility or coordination. I can do ordinary squats with three times hevier loads with correct form so I don’t think strenght is the problem. What coild I do?

Signature 

Sorry bad English.

Posted: 30 March 2015 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  8731
Joined  2004-07-08

I would really like to see a video. It sounds like your not staying tight or maybe squatting too low.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 31 March 2015 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2014-07-02

Big D, here is one video at my Instagram: https://instagram.com/p/y7nRyCwX7b/ This is couple of months old but I suppose you can see what I’m talking about.
“Not staying tight” might be the problem, because this back problem mostly happens when I snatch and need to pay attention to many things at the same time. Especially when I try to snatch during wods/metcons I find it really hard to focus and do it right. I usually use empty bar only or maybe a very little bit extra weight.

Signature 

Sorry bad English.

Posted: 01 April 2015 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  14299
Joined  2004-06-18

Hi Mari,
The snatch is a complicated movement and nobody should expect to get it all right from the start.  A couple philosophical points.  Most trainers coach from ROM => to Points of Performance=> to Safety.  We coach the opposite direction.  Also, we break movements down into coachable bits.  So a full squat clean would be broken into a perfect snatch grip deadlift, a hang power snatch, and a perfect overhead squat.  Until a person can do those three individual movements perfectly on their own starting from unload and moving to load we don’t coach the whole movement.  Our opinion is that if the individual parts aren’t perfect, it’s folly to believe that the whole will be acceptable when done at speed ballistically.  The truth is it will only enhance and highlight the primary errors. 
The vid you posted shows a non-neutral and unbraced spine at the start of the movement. There is no way a person can start in that position and expect to brace themselves while moving into a squat position and receiving the bar.  Check out these videos of our kids learning to power clean and jerk.
https://www.facebook.com/1569982696556690/photos/a.1575890925965867.1073741829.1569982696556690/1593011290920497/?type=1&theater;

Signature 

All of life’s problems can be solved by heavy deadlifts.

Follow us on Twitter:
@TheBrandXMethod
https://twitter.com/TheBrandXMethod

M/54/5’11”/190

Posted: 01 April 2015 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  8731
Joined  2004-07-08

Garddawg gave you some great information. Read it, learn it, do it. After reading GD reply, I would like to see another video of you doing an air squat only.

Signature 

In God we Trust all others we monitor

Posted: 01 April 2015 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Stray Dawg
RankRank
Joined  2014-07-02

Thank you for answers! I have practiced different parts of snatch, too, and I will continue that. I suppose this is just one of the things that will take their time. smile

Signature 

Sorry bad English.

‹‹ hey guys      Crossfit around rugby ››